DMN Blog: Martellus Bennett better be ready

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Martellus Bennett better be ready

12:23 PM Thu, Oct 30, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

Jason Witten wants to play Sunday with a broken rib. He claims to be optimistic, but acknowledges that it'll be a gametime decision and he might be better off waiting until after the bye week.

"I hope it feels better by the end of the week," Witten said. "We'll see how it goes, but those other guys have got to prepare."

Those other guys are Martellus Bennett and Tony Curtis. And the bulk of the playing time will go to Bennett, the second-round pick out of Texas A&M whose professionalism has been questioned.

Witten didn't do anything to stop those questions today.

"If you have a veteran guy ahead of you, sometimes you don't prepare as well as you should," Witten said. "It showed a little bit in last week's game."

Witten later said he wasn't trying to call out the rookie, but read into that comment what you will. Their relationship is still in the tough-love stage.

Bennett dismissed Witten's comment about preparation, saying the Pro Bowler hadn't said anything directly to him. But Bennett gets the message: He better be ready to go against the Giants.

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/images/ice3/icons/blog.gif Comments (2) Leave comment | http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail entry

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
He could have just as easily been talking about Curtis. Or both.

It was probably both.

Reaction score
I can't wait to see Bennett to play. Let's see if he is worthy of dumping Fasano and drafting him in round #2.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2385231 said:
I can't wait to see Bennett to play. Let's see if he is worthy of dumping Fasano and drafting him in round #2.

I think he has already shown from a physical standpoint he was.

I liked Fasano though and thought his problem had more to do with opportunities than anything else.

Bennett has impressed me so far.

Especially for a guy that was labeled a bust by so many because of hard knocks.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Clearly he's talking about Bennett. I can't see an undrafted free agent sticking with a team for 4 years with a lazy work ethic. Witten was on BaD radio during training camp, and he made it known he wasn't impressed with Bennett's attitude and professionalism.

Frozen700

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2385276 said:
Clearly he's talking about Bennett. I can't see an undrafted free agent sticking with a team for 4 years with a lazy work ethic. Witten was on BaD radio during training camp, and he made it known he wasn't impressed with Bennett's attitude and professionalism.

really? wow....trouble!

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
CATCH17;2385242 said:
I think he has already shown from a physical standpoint he was.

I liked Fasano though and thought his problem had more to do with opportunities than anything else.

Bennett has impressed me so far.

Especially for a guy that was labeled a bust by so many because of hard knocks.

What idiots named him a bust in the preseason?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Well he is a Rookie, let's not get down on him if he can't come through in his first start.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wonder if any of this was in response to Bennett saying in an interview this week that he didn't consider himself Witten's backup.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fasano isn't exactly lighting it up in Miami and I'm not just basing this on stats. With the dearth of talent there, he should a stud. He's not.

But looking at the stats, Martellus and Fasano's numbers are not that different. I think as of now, it's a wash.

Player Matchup
http://www.nfl.com/stats/headtohead...Select+a+Player...&playerFour=Select+a+Player...

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score

That was established the first run blocking assignment for Tellus. Hands down.

This kid is going to be something special. He's a different baller when on the field come game day.

Seven

Reaction score
TheCount;2385524 said:
What idiots named him a bust in the preseason?

They know who they are.........
There were plenty on this board who bought into the Hard Knocks "We gotta create something" gig. They found and edited every little nuance Bennett had that wasn't all candy and roses. That whole thing was pathetic, IMO.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2385645 said:
Fasano isn't exactly lighting it up in Miami and I'm not just basing this on stats. With the dearth of talent there, he should a stud. He's not.

But looking at the stats, Martellus and Fasano's numbers are not that different. I think as of now, it's a wash.

Have to disagree with this. His stats are clearly better than Bennett's. Sure, much of that is due to the number of snaps, but Fasano has been splitting time in the sense that they've been running a 2 TE set quite often. Martin, their other TE, has been productive also. Fasano has been a big part of what success that team has had this year.

It's no knock on Bennett, but Fasano haters were wrong then, and they're wrong now. The guy is an quality NFL player.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tomson75;2385757 said:
Have to disagree with this. His stats are clearly better than Bennett's. Sure, much of that is due to the number of snaps, but Fasano has been splitting time in the sense that they've been running a 2 TE set quite often. Martin, their other TE, has been productive also. Fasano has been a big part of what success that team has had this year.

It's no knock on Bennett, but Fasano haters were wrong then, and they're wrong now. The guy is an quality NFL player.
I don't think I was hating on Fasano. But arguments can be made for both due to their low production. I guess it's all about expectation and recognizing that its hard to get touches when you're playing behind a pro bowler. That goes for both Fasano and Bennett.

Because Fasano was given away for a ham and cheese (Ayodele) sandwich, there has to be an expectation that he was going to break out for a talent-starved team like Miami. It hasn't happened.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2385828 said:
I don't think I was hating on Fasano. But arguments can be made for both due to their low production. I guess it's all about expectation and recognizing that its hard to get touches when you're playing behind a pro bowler. That goes for both Fasano and Bennett.

Because Fasano was given away for a ham and cheese (Ayodele) sandwich, there has to be an expectation that he was going to break out for a talent-starved team like Miami. It hasn't happened.

I didn't really think you were hating on Fasano, but its no secret that this forum has its share of anti-Fasano pundits. Whenever possible, I like to point out that those people whom continually claimed that the guy 'can't catch' were very wrong. He's no HOF'r, but the guy can play.

I thought he'd do more at Miami too, but you have to take into account their general ineptitude. They don't exactly light up the scoreboard. IIRC, Fasano is only behind Ronnie Brown in touchdowns, and is third in receptions. I think it's a little easier to look at it as a percentage of team contribution.

That being said, I think Bennett's potential far exceeds Fasano's. Fasano will likely become a NFL role player throughout his career, but if Bennett gets his act together, he could do much more. I didn't like the trade when it happened, but I think it'd be silly for any Cowboys fan to look at our current TE group and not be satisfied.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I don't think you can compare Fasano and Bennett. They have different roles. Bennett clearly has more talent. Bennett got 55 snaps last week and made mistakes. He's going to be player in this league. He can block, catch the ball and run with it. He's only going to get better unless he knucklehead ups his career. He'll be a player in the Giants game if Johnson can get him the ball.

Seven

Reaction score
He'll be gellin'. Like Magellin.............. :cool: