DMN Blog: Moose blasts Tank signing

Jon

Reaction score
September 20, 2007
Moose blasts Tank signing

On his Sirius radio show yesterday Daryl Johnston called Jerry Jones' signing of Tank Johnson "a huge mistake."

That led his co-host to ask:

"If Roger Goodell was the commissioner some ten years ago and had a conduct policy in place there is a chance that on more than one occasion Michael Irvin would have violated that policy. And yet, after numerous transgressions he was always on that football team and, to a man, everybody liked him to be part of that football team. How is it vastly different except that he was your teammate?”

Responded DJ: “There were no guns. There was no violence. Nobody died when he was released 24 hours later in a nightclub when he was told not to drink or be around guns or alcohol. There are a lot of things different in that situation. Michael had a problem and the thing about Michael is if Roger Goodell was commissioner, I think Roger Goodell helps Michael Irvin solve those problems. Because when he gets suspended for eight games and he’s looking at a year the next time, the guys on the team are going to start monitoring Michael’s behavior. Now, the coaches might not be able to take care of Michael when he leaves the facility but you can bet there are going to be some players at his side saying, ‘Alright, Mike. You know what? It’s 12:01 and nothing good happens after midnight. We’re going home.’ I think Roger Goodell’s stance that he’s taken this year with the NFL players and their personal conduct, would have benefited Michael Irvin.”

Posted by Barry Horn at 1:20 PM

http://cowboys.beloblog.com/archives/2007/09/moose_blasts_tank_signing.html

miamicowboy21

Reaction score
Why can't people get past Tank's off field transgressions ans see this was strictly a football move. We needed a NT and tank was the best one out there. Plain and simple. I didn't hear moose this outspoken when we signed charles haley.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
So the only way players will step up and say 'Hey, time to call it a night' is if they may get suspended? I thought the threat of imprisonment was enough but that's just me.

CoCo

Reaction score
The article doesn't make sense to me.

Moose lauds Goodell on the one hand, and indicates his heavy suspensions will help players clean up their acts, but then criticizes the Cowboys for playing by Goodell's rules?

Does he want Johnson permanently banned? Longer suspension? Or just an unofficial ban by teams refusing to sign him even when the commissioners suspension has passed.

Just what do you want Moose?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Big Dakota;1657812 said:
Personally i think that's a load of bull.
I agree. There were alot of folks who were into what Mike was doing back then.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Wow. No matter how he spins that one, his co-host got him good with the double standard.

FCBarca

Reaction score
Two things.

One, I totally concur with Moose...He's right on about this and he has no hidden agenda or axe to grind...It's just bad for the image of the club to drop these 'standards' in place you claim to purport.

Two, it's done, let's move on...I hate the move but let's face it, it's done and it's over...People will have their say and I figure the next time to even consider revisiting this is if/when Tank screws up again...Otherwise, what's the point?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny, I don't remember Michael Irvin being in trouble with the law or getting caught with drugs, etc. BEFORE he was drafted.

Tank Johnson wasn't already a Cowboy who got into trouble. He was an ex-Bear who got into trouble multiple times BEFORE Dallas signed him. Whether people like it or not, that's the point that Moose was making. His co-host should have asked him to consider a similar circumstance. He didn't (probably on purpose).

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
FCBarca;1657856 said:
Two things.

One, I totally concur with Moose...He's right on about this and he has no hidden agenda or axe to grind...It's just bad for the image of the club to drop these 'standards' in place you claim to purport.

Two, it's done, let's move on...I hate the move but let's face it, it's done and it's over...People will have their say and I figure the next time to even consider revisiting this is if/when Tank screws up again...Otherwise, what's the point?
Drop these standards? Where were they with Irvin & Co.? Keith Davis? TO? Coleman and all the other guys Bill brought in? Were they dropped then too? Or were they never really there?

Of course, the answer is that they've always been there and they continue to be there. Character isn't something that is an all or nothing scenario. It's simply one factor in a multitude. Sometimes it tips the scale for the player and some times it tips the scale against the player. Given the microscopic risk that Jerry's taking with Tank, character doesn't play much of a factor in the decision.

FCBarca

Reaction score
theogt;1657867 said:
Drop these standards? Where were they with Irvin & Co.? Keith Davis? TO? Coleman and all the other guys Bill brought in? Were they dropped then too? Or were they never really there?

Of course, the answer is that they've always been there and they continue to be there. Character isn't something that is an all or nothing scenario. It's simply one factor in a multitude. Sometimes it tips the scale for the player and some times it tips the scale against the player. Given the microscopic risk that Jerry's taking with Tank, character doesn't play much of a factor in the decision.

The point is, these 'standards' and Calvin Hill were put in place after Irvin & Co...They made efforts to screen players more rigorously before they were signed, when they were scouted and while they were members of the club.

There's no way that same process was applied with Tank no matter how many testimonials we hear from friends, teammates etc.

From a financial standpoint, of course it isn't a major risk with Tank as his contract is peanuts...Yet, how can you gauge the impact from a PR standpoint how little or large a risk JJ is taking with the signing?...You can't...There's already been a litany of stories written about this and apparently will continue to be...A lot of fans across the board have been pointing to the hypocracy of the move, particularly considering the nature of the history of the franchise and it's 'problem' players...That leads to media scrutiny, pressure in and out of the lockerroom etc...Then, IF Tank does something then we go back to how that distraction plays out for the franchise overall...So, I think it is more than understating it to suggest it's a low risk move because the contract is peanuts...Those are tangible risks, the rest of the risks that remain could inevitably make the financial risks look just like that, peanuts, by comparison.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
FCBarca;1657899 said:
The point is, these 'standards' and Calvin Hill were put in place after Irvin & Co...They made efforts to screen players more rigorously before they were signed, when they were scouted and while they were members of the club.
Yet those same standards were in place when we signed all of the other troubled players while Bill was here. Yes, players with criminal histories.

There's no way that same process was applied with Tank no matter how many testimonials we hear from friends, teammates etc.
I have no idea what you're talking about here.

From a financial standpoint, of course it isn't a major risk with Tank as his contract is peanuts...Yet, how can you gauge the impact from a PR standpoint how little or large a risk JJ is taking with the signing?...You can't...There's already been a litany of stories written about this and apparently will continue to be...A lot of fans across the board have been pointing to the hypocracy of the move, particularly considering the nature of the history of the franchise and it's 'problem' players...That leads to media scrutiny, pressure in and out of the lockerroom etc...Then, IF Tank does something then we go back to how that distraction plays out for the franchise overall...So, I think it is more than understating it to suggest it's a low risk move because the contract is peanuts...Those are tangible risks, the rest of the risks that remain could inevitably make the financial risks look just like that, peanuts, by comparison.
You say that there's no way to gauge the PR impact, but you go ahead and decide to anyway. The funny thing (other than your own hypocrisy) is that the overwhelming majority of media coverage has been positive. And most commentators have said that it was a shrewd move on Jerry's part.

If PR is the worst thing about this, I'm sure Jerry is up all night worrying about his franchise that happens to be the highest valued franchise in the league.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
FCBarca;1657899 said:

The Cowboys have had players with worse pasts, and have made it through the PR hits. We're America's Team. No one guy is going to change that.

It's like Jerruh said when he signed TO. I'm not gonna let the house burn down as long as I'm here.

If he starts causing problems, he's cut. Simple as that.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
It was a highly controversial signing. What did you expect? Unanimity of opinion?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Side note: I was listening to his show last hour and he picked us to win over the Bears.

ddh33

Reaction score
Hey, Moose may be exactly right. I can see where he's coming from on this issue.

Still, I don't blame Jerry fot giving Tank a chance, and ultimately, it's going to be on Tank to see what he does with this opportunity. I'm willing to wait and see.