DMN Blog: Moose blasts Tank signing

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
Moose is all wet on this one. If he wants to comment on social issues in the NFL, then he better take a couple of classes on sociology. If I recall, doing dope was against the law, and Michael had to go to court over the issue.

sago1

Reaction score
Maybe Moose is right that if Goodell had been Commissioner, a suspension of Michael might have helped him. But maybe one suspension wouldn't have been enough and we could have lost him for the season and maybe a SB as well. Also, frankly, where was Moose when this was going on. Was he trying to help Michael or was he unable to get Michael to correct himself. I know Troy didn't like what Michael was doing and that didn't stop Michael who respected Troy more then anyone else on that team.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Jon;1657767 said:
September 20, 2007
Moose blasts Tank signing

On his Sirius radio show yesterday Daryl Johnston called Jerry Jones' signing of Tank Johnson "a huge mistake."

That led his co-host to ask:

"If Roger Goodell was the commissioner some ten years ago and had a conduct policy in place there is a chance that on more than one occasion Michael Irvin would have violated that policy. And yet, after numerous transgressions he was always on that football team and, to a man, everybody liked him to be part of that football team. How is it vastly different except that he was your teammate?”

Responded DJ: “There were no guns. There was no violence. Nobody died when he was released 24 hours later in a nightclub when he was told not to drink or be around guns or alcohol. There are a lot of things different in that situation. Michael had a problem and the thing about Michael is if Roger Goodell was commissioner, I think Roger Goodell helps Michael Irvin solve those problems. Because when he gets suspended for eight games and he’s looking at a year the next time, the guys on the team are going to start monitoring Michael’s behavior. Now, the coaches might not be able to take care of Michael when he leaves the facility but you can bet there are going to be some players at his side saying, ‘Alright, Mike. You know what? It’s 12:01 and nothing good happens after midnight. We’re going home.’ I think Roger Goodell’s stance that he’s taken this year with the NFL players and their personal conduct, would have benefited Michael Irvin.”

Posted by Barry Horn at 1:20 PM

http://cowboys.beloblog.com/archives/2007/09/moose_blasts_tank_signing.html

Ugh, I believe Michael stabbed a teammate in the neck with a pair of scissors at the team's training camp facility. It's amazing to me how that little incident has gone so ignored.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
Jon;1657767 said:
September 20, 2007
Moose blasts Tank signing

On his Sirius radio show yesterday Daryl Johnston called Jerry Jones' signing of Tank Johnson "a huge mistake."

That led his co-host to ask:

"If Roger Goodell was the commissioner some ten years ago and had a conduct policy in place there is a chance that on more than one occasion Michael Irvin would have violated that policy. And yet, after numerous transgressions he was always on that football team and, to a man, everybody liked him to be part of that football team. How is it vastly different except that he was your teammate?”

Responded DJ: “There were no guns. There was no violence. Nobody died when he was released 24 hours later in a nightclub when he was told not to drink or be around guns or alcohol. There are a lot of things different in that situation. Michael had a problem and the thing about Michael is if Roger Goodell was commissioner, I think Roger Goodell helps Michael Irvin solve those problems. Because when he gets suspended for eight games and he’s looking at a year the next time, the guys on the team are going to start monitoring Michael’s behavior. Now, the coaches might not be able to take care of Michael when he leaves the facility but you can bet there are going to be some players at his side saying, ‘Alright, Mike. You know what? It’s 12:01 and nothing good happens after midnight. We’re going home.’ I think Roger Goodell’s stance that he’s taken this year with the NFL players and their personal conduct, would have benefited Michael Irvin.”

Posted by Barry Horn at 1:20 PM

http://cowboys.beloblog.com/archives/2007/09/moose_blasts_tank_signing.html

I loved Moose as a player. Love him as a broadcaster. DON'T give a damn what he says about the Tank signing. It's his own opinion which I don't agree with. Go Moose! Go Tank! :starspin

Reaction score
We all know Tank hasn't been an NFL posterboy in the past. The front office takes a risk (a gamble if you will) on each and every player signed.

It's all about risk vs. reward. Could Tank fall back into his old ways? It's a possibility, but I think it far more likely he'll end up being a contributing piece of the puzzle that gets us that much closer to the Big Dance this season. And if not this season, the man is young, proven, and we're getting him on the cheap.

Moose has a right to his opinion. But as a business decision, this is a no brainer.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
miamicowboy21;1657798 said:
Why can't people get past Tank's off field transgressions ans see this was strictly a football move. We needed a NT and tank was the best one out there. Plain and simple. I didn't hear moose this outspoken when we signed charles haley.

I don't have a problem with that, but when you look at the contract....2 year vet minimum and no signing bonus....the Cowboys don't lose anything if Tank gets in trouble again.

I think this is the way you handle these type of guys that want to get their career on track. Whether it's a conscious or subconscious thought process, I really believe that if the troubled player knows the team has something to lose by cutting the player...be it a cap hit or a wasted pick...they will push the limits of what they can do. In Tank's situation he knows that Dallas can cut him and not blink an eye so he knows he's got to act straight.

YAKUZA

J-DOG

Reaction score
A huge mistake????
That would require us making a huge investment on this guy and that simply is not the case.
Low risk/ High reward.
The first time he makes a mistake he is gone.
I applaud this move to improve our chances this year.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1658170 said:
Ugh, I believe Michael stabbed a teammate in the neck with a pair of scissors at the team's training camp facility. It's amazing to me how that little incident has gone so ignored.

Excellent point.

jimmy40

Reaction score
J-DOG;1658518 said:
A huge mistake????
That would require us making a huge investment on this guy and that simply is not the case.
Low risk/ High reward.
The first time he makes a mistake he is gone.
I applaud this move to improve our chances this year.
The huge mistake could be the impressions he makes on our other young players before he gets caught making that mistake. Hopefully he'll grow up in a hurry though.

Aikbach

Reaction score
I love Moose as a player but he's from Syracuse and up there they just don't understand the second amendment.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
FCBarca;1657856 said:
Two things.

One, I totally concur with Moose...He's right on about this and he has no hidden agenda or axe to grind...It's just bad for the image of the club to drop these 'standards' in place you claim to purport.

Two, it's done, let's move on...I hate the move but let's face it, it's done and it's over...People will have their say and I figure the next time to even consider revisiting this is if/when Tank screws up again...Otherwise, what's the point?

Pragmatically speaking, yes, it's done, let's move on and hope for the best-case scenario of tank walking a more straight road.
Still, a faustian move by Jerra. When Moose raises an issue with it, it's time to take heed of, hey, next time let's have a higher bar.

TunaFan33

Benched
Reaction score
miamicowboy21;1657798 said:
Why can't people get past Tank's off field transgressions ans see this was strictly a football move. We needed a NT and tank was the best one out there. Plain and simple. I didn't hear moose this outspoken when we signed charles haley.

I agree-especially given that his contract is low-risk, I think he's well worth the risk now. I think he'll be good for at least this year.