DMN: Blog: Packers treating Brett Favre like Don Meredith

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Packers treating Brett Favre like Don Meredith

3:48 PM Tue, Aug 05, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon

We've pretty much steered clear of Brett Favre talk on this here blog lately, because ... well, the Cowboys give us plenty to write about, and he's a Packer, sort of.
But old pal Matt Mosley managed to tie in an interesting Cowboys story in his Favre column. (Why is an NFC East guy writing a Favre column? Because everybody at ESPN.com apparently has to pitch into the Favre/Packer breakup coverage.)
It reminds me of a story I once heard about former Cowboys quarterback Don Meredith. He walked into Tom Landry's office in 1969 and said, "Coach, I'm thinking about retiring." Not missing a beat, Landry answered, "Don, I think that's a good idea."
Years later, Bud Shrake, the newspaper man turned famous author, told me Meredith was crushed that Landry didn't try to talk him out of retiring.
In Meredith's case, though, he walked away from the game for good. Favre retired briefly and then began a comeback campaign in which he leaked information through selected family members and farm workers. In this three-ring circus, Favre tried to play ringmaster from the comfort of his home in Mississippi, but he eventually had to come out of hiding. The Packers had taken the unfair step of taking Favre at his word, and general manager Ted Thompson would play the role of the villain.
Doesn't make the way Jerry Jones ended Landry's legendary tenure seem so heartless, huh?

joseephuss

Reaction score
newlander;2176813 said:
buh bye brett.he WILL BE RELEASED IMO

I don't think so. Green Bay wants something in return. They will trade him.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
I really hope Brett goes somewhere and comes back to crush the packers at home, then put his foot on the back of their head and give them a mouth full of mud.

utrunner07

Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;2176842 said:
I really hope Brett goes somewhere and comes back to crush the packers at home, then put his foot on the back of their head and give them a mouth full of mud.

Its not so much the team that he needs to do this to, just management....

cowboys2233

Reaction score
joseephuss;2176829 said:
I don't think so. Green Bay wants something in return. They will trade him.

That would be my take. Why on earth would the Packers just let him go, when they could get even a low pick for him? Any pick is better than nothing.

Unless they are continuing to try and win the PR game and by just letting him go, they can play the "we just wanted to do what's best for Brett" card.

If Brett agrees to go to Tampon Bay, he is a total fool. Minnesota or bust baby! And for Vikings fans who think they can hang with us if they have Brett as their QB, I have two words...

...bring it.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
They won't risk him going to the Vikings. I read the Packers AGAIN turned down his request to be traded to Minnesota. Now they are working a trade with the Bucs.

He is "comtemplating" if he wants to play for them.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
ajk23az;2176893 said:
They won't risk him going to the Vikings. I read the Packers AGAIN turned down his request to be traded to Minnesota. Now they are working a trade with the Bucs.

He is "comtemplating" if he wants to play for them.

The fact that Rodgers went like 8-26 in that intrasquad game probably didn't help the team's confidence. :laugh2:

They are total buffoons for not giving Brett his job back -- they are being guided by their emotions and some sense of fair play towards Rodgers...and that will ultimately get them all fired.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
cowboys2233;2176901 said:
The fact that Rodgers went like 8-26 in that intrasquad game probably didn't help the team's confidence. :laugh2:

They are total buffoons for not giving Brett his job back -- they are being guided by their emotions and some sense of fair play towards Rodgers...and that will ultimately get them all fired.

Agree. It's stupid really. Whatever gives you the best chance to win is who should play. Dont see how Rodgers will give them that chance, but he may surprise many.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
utrunner07;2176880 said:
Its not so much the team that he needs to do this to, just management....
yeah thats true. IMO you just don't turn your back on legends of your organization.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;2176914 said:
yeah thats true. IMO you just don't turn your back on legends of your organization.

Please, it happens all the time.

See Montana in KC, Rice in like 3 different places, Emmitt playing for the Cardinals...

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;2176919 said:

See Montana in KC, Rice in like 3 different places, Emmitt playing for the Cardinals...
I didn't say it didn't happen. I said I don't believe in it.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;2176919 said:

It was pretty clear that Steve Young was the real deal (as much as I can't stand the guy). Rice and Emmitt were clearly on the downside of their careers, you could see how much slower they both were.

Favre was runner-up for league MVP (or at least in the top five, I can't remember), he got them to the NFC championship and had they managed to win in OT, would have gotten them to the SB. Dude, the parallels you're trying to draw just don't exist.

Someone put it really concisely the other day. Imagine if Aikman had gotten us to the conference championship and he was then told he couldn't compete for the job the following year because of some totally unproven guy -- everyone here would go ballistic and that's the reality.

DWhite Fan

It ain't over 'til it's over
Reaction score
Cbz40;2176804 said:
Packers treating Brett Favre like Don Meredith

3:48 PM Tue, Aug 05, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon

Doesn't make the way Jerry Jones ended Landry's legendary tenure seem so heartless, huh?

Yes, it does. Landry did not force Meredith to retire. Don made the comment and Landry expressed his opinion. I understand Don's feelings got hurt, but no one forced Don to go through with the retirement. Jones did not give Landry a choice nor the respect Tom deserved by telling him first before Jones run his mouth to the media and the public. Two totally different situations. The garbage logic these sports writers use is unbelieveable:banghead:

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
cowboys2233;2176926 said:
It was pretty clear that Steve Young was the real deal (as much as I can't stand the guy). Rice and Emmitt were clearly on the downside of their careers, you could see how much slower they both were.

Favre was runner-up for league MVP, he got them to the NFC championship and had they managed to win in OT, would have gotten them to the SB. Dude, the parallels you're trying to draw just don't exist.

Someone put it really concisely the other day. Imagine if Aikman had gotten us to the conference championship and he was then told he couldn't compete for the job the following year because of some totally unproven guy -- everyone here would go ballistic and that's the reality.

Im pretty sure 52 other players had something to do with it not to mention the GM for selecting them.

Do you realize that his stupid decision was THE reason why they diddnt win? And its not like its the first time he has blown it in the playoffs either.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;2176930 said:
Im pretty sure 52 other players had something to do with it not to mention the GM for selecting them.

Do you realize that his stupid decision was THE reason why they diddnt win? And its not like its the first time he has blown it in the playoffs either.

You're right -- Rodgers is much better. What was I thinking? :rake:

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
cowboys2233;2176901 said:

I think they are doing the right thing. The Packers didnt demand Brett to retire, he retired by himself. He said he doesn't have the drive anymore.

A little later he is wavering back and forth, yeah i am going to come back, no im not, yes i am, no im not....blah blah blah...

The Packers got fed up with him and said the hell with you, we are moving on. One player isn't bigger than the organization, legend or not.

Would you go out with a chick if she kept on saying yes, and then a day before the date she says something came up, and then keeps doing it like 2 more times?! I think not, you'd say the hell with her also.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2176911 said:
Agree. It's stupid really. Whatever gives you the best chance to win is who should play. Dont see how Rodgers will give them that chance, but he may surprise many.

Teams often don't start the one to give them the best shot to win. Hell, we starting Hutchless over Carter when we were 3-4 and started Henson over Testaverde once.