DMN: Blog: Patrick Crayton's cool with becoming No. 3 receiver

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Patrick Crayton's cool with becoming No. 3 receiver

5:35 PM Fri, Nov 14, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon

WR Roy Williams expressed frustration earlier this week about how often he found himself watching the offense from the sideline. All indications are that those days are over, and the blockbuster trade acquisition will be an every-down receiver beginning Sunday.

Patrick Crayton, whose playing time will be cut drastically, has accepted it. Of course, he knew the day was coming soon when Jerry Jones gave up first- and third-round picks to get Williams and then promptly gave the Texas-ex a five-year, $45 million contract extension.

"That's the business," Crayton said of Williams replacing him in the starting lineup. "You pay a guy a lot of money, you've got to play him, or else people are going to be asking why you gave him all that money and aren't playing him. Hopefully, he does give us an opportunity to win some games. That's what we need to do right now."

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
He NEVER performed the duties of a true #2.

This is a non issue.

Furthermore... with TO and RWR on the field... if Crayton doesnt start producing he should thank his lucky stars that he has a place on this team.... for now.

Romo2Dez4six

Touchdown!!!!
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2418575 said:
Crayton will put up better numbers than he has so far this year

thats what I was going to say.. and people here are going to say we didn't need Roy not seeing Roy is why Crayton is going to get more looks.;)

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
We have a great threesome at the WR position right now.

And an All World TE.

And an All Pro QB.

And an All Pro RB.

Now it's up the fat boys up front to do their job and this offense will be unstoppable.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
I hope crayton starts to play well. I kept him in fantasy thinking roy would help him bring better production. Still waiting on that one though.

MONT17

Reaction score
Now Crayton can do what he does best... Talkin smack, predicting Super Bowls and laughing on his way to the bank!

I wouldve added droppin passes and quiting on routes in the playoffs but I didn't wanna pile on!

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2418578 said:

And an All World TE.

And an All Pro QB.

And an All Pro RB.

Now it's up the fat boys up front to do their job and this offense will be unstoppable.

That's all well and good...but it would certainly help if the D can stop someone. We can't stop the run nor do we do a very good job in defending the deep routes. Stopping people on 3rd down..well that's a joke.

Mansta54

Reaction score
Cbz40;2418607 said:
That's all well and good...but it would certainly help if the D can stop someone. We can't stop the run nor do we do a very good job in defending the deep routes. Stopping people on 3rd down..well that's a joke.

Pops I think our D will be just fine with Romo back. They won't be on the field for 40mins, which is devastating for any defense. They also will defend the run much better cause they won't be dead tired. If you check, our D only gave up one 100yrd game rushing when Romo was in the lineup and that was against the Foreskins. Plus with Romo, other teams are usually playing catch up trying to score with us which they're having to pass more instead of running the ball. Romo cures alot of things on our D. Those 3 and outs by a BJ lead offense hurt our D and had them defending a short field alot....

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2418578 said:

And an All World TE.

And an All Pro QB.

And an All Pro RB.

I 100% agree!:hammer:

hendog

Reaction score
Cbz40;2418607 said:

Pops must be on the Dr. Pepper tonite.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
Cbz40;2418607 said:

I can't help but feel that a healthy Spencer and Newman will really halp this D during this 2nd half of the season. Our young guys (Scandrick and Jenkins) are improving and should only get better. I believe this D will be above average down the stretch and our O should be excellent. I think the special teams will even be average - they have shown some signs of improvement recently.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
MONT17;2418592 said:
Now Crayton can do what he does best... Talkin smack, predicting Super Bowls and laughing on his way to the bank!

I wouldve added droppin passes and quiting on routes in the playoffs but I didn't wanna pile on!

:lmao:

dfense

Reaction score
YoMick;2418569 said:
He NEVER performed the duties of a true #2.

This is a non issue.

Furthermore... with TO and RWR on the field... if Crayton doesnt start producing he should thank his lucky stars that he has a place on this team.... for now.
Crayton was playing out of position at #2. He made this team as a #3. They don't have a better #3 on the team.

I traded Lee Evens to get my hands on Crayton in my fantasy league this week. Who's going to cover him when Witten clears out? Don't underestimate Crayton's value now that he can play where he's suppose to.

I bet he has at least 6 key catches this week. :suxskins:

Nexx

Reaction score
i hope he ok with eventually becoming the 4th option after miles takes his 3rd wr job. :cool:

dfense

Reaction score
Nexx;2418739 said:
i hope he ok with eventually becoming the 4th option after miles takes his 3rd wr job. :cool:
Miles is not, and will never be a slot receiver. He's a backup #2 who's only asset is his speed.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
MONT17;2418592 said:

Please don't mention the route he stopped on in the playoffs agqainst the Giants, what would have been our version of "The Catch" and would have been replayed over and over again for us to watch the rest of our lives......I'll stop, it's depressing what could have been.