DMN: Blog: Play of the Day: Roy Williams' pick six

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Play of the Day: Roy Williams' pick six

8:11 PM Wed, Aug 06, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Brian Davis

One of the biggest afternoon cheers came for safety Roy Williams, who picked off an errant throw by the pride of Princeton -- fourth-stringer Jeff Terrell. Williams would have taken it to the house courtesy of his friendly nose tackle Tank Johnson.

As Williams was racing down the sideline, Johnson was racing step for step with tackle Cory Lekkerkerker. Johnson got his nose just inside No. 79's chest to trip up the 6-7, 310 pounder. Yeah, I know you're not supposed to bring teammates to the ground but it was a heck of a block by Tank.

That block made it smooth sailing for Williams in a game setting, thus its the block we'd be talking about on Monday. That's why we're talking about it now.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Cbz40;2178735 said:
Play of the Day: Roy Williams' pick six

8:11 PM Wed, Aug 06, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Brian Davis

As Williams was racing down the sideline, Johnson was racing step for step with tackle Cory Lekkerkerker.
Mr. Davis should probably get some therapy for that stutter. Although it is odd that he types like that.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
peplaw06;2178742 said:
Mr. Davis should probably get some therapy for that stutter. Although it is odd that he types like that.

:laugh1:

cowboyed

Reaction score
Roy Williams statistical snowfall aside it looks like the playmaking motivation or efforts are returning. So I am excited that the Roy we once knew may be coming back. We'll see how he elevates his performance against opponents however.

That stated as a fan you can't help but be frustrated, maybe a little angry that Roy's attitude and perhaps lack of preparation not only hurt him but this defense as well over the last few years.

That is a bitter pill to swallow in the wake of an increased, extended contract in 2006 or 2007. However a dedicated effective Roy in 2008 can erase all those negative perceptions.

With the cumulative talent on board and a galvanized Roy this will be one heck of a sick, scary defense.

lspain1

Reaction score
On Hard Knocks, Roy was clearly working on "wrapping up" in his tackling. VERY encouraging!

Hoofbite

Reaction score
lspain1;2179226 said:
On Hard Knocks, Roy was clearly working on "wrapping up" in his tackling. VERY encouraging!

I noticed that as well.

mitchell2254

Reaction score
I like how on hard knocks he kept calling himself the hardest hitter alive. He looks to have that rookie fire back. If we get that Roy on this defense, watch out NFL.