DMN Blog: Practice Report...Pacman returns

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
When I heard "career ending" I thought.... wow, ironic.

When I heard "season ending" I though... guess wasnt meant to be.

With that said.... I really didnt believe that he was done. Something just didnt seem conclusive... maybe I am a little hesitant when I hear things in the media.
:eek:

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
theogt;2502355 said:
Yes, when you include Patrick's fair catches in, their yardage is almost identical. I did the calculation once and it was within half a yard on their averages.

While I think Crayton does the fair catch to much I also think Jones doesn't do it enough.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
YoMick;2502399 said:
When I heard "career ending" I thought.... wow, ironic.

When I heard "season ending" I though... guess wasnt meant to be.

With that said.... I really didnt believe that he was done. Something just didnt seem conclusive... maybe I am a little hesitant when I hear things in the media.
:eek:

I think it's better that way. Career threating = back after one game. Out 1-4 weeks = the season. Our training staff has been crap.

MrMom

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones, who suffered a herniated disk in his neck against the Pittsburgh Steelers two weeks ago, returned to practice Wednesday but will not play Saturday against the Baltimore Ravens.

Jones was injured early in the Cowboys' 20-13 loss at Pittsburgh in Week 14. Jones was hurt in the first quarter when he fell on top of his muffed punt, getting caught in a scramble for the loose ball. After several players fell on him, Jones was pulled from the pile awkwardly by a Steelers player. But Jones played the rest of the game.
Coach Wade Phillips said at the time that Jones had a "herniated disk, maybe two"; NFL.com, citing a league source, reported that the injury could threaten Jones' career.
It was Jones' first game back after a six-game suspension, the second time he has been banned by commissioner Roger Goodell for off-field issues.
After starting the first six games for the Cowboys, Jones was suspended by Goodell on Oct. 14, a week after the cornerback got into an alcohol-related scuffle with one of his bodyguards during a private party at an upscale Dallas hotel.

The bodyguard was part of a security detail employed by the team to help keep the player out of trouble.

Goodell initially issued an indefinite suspension that he said would last at least four games. Jones was allowed to return to practice Nov. 24 but wasn't cleared to play until the Pittsburgh game.

Jones missed the entire 2007 season because of multiple incidents while with the Tennessee Titans, who traded him to Dallas during the offseason. Before playing last week, Jones had missed 22 of 28 games since the end of the 2006 season because of suspensions.

Jones had 28 tackles and a team-high 13 pass breakups in his seven games with the Cowboys.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

dallas_112678

Reaction score
Givincer;2502236 said:
It's crazy how this injury went from career-threatening to season-threatening to one game-threatening.

If he can go, that's great. I love our cornerback group. It's so deep and so young.

Im pretty sure that first "career threatening" injury prognosis came from our training staff and if thats the case, im not surprised at all.

kmd24

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2502214 said:
It'd be amazing if they averaged in fair catches.....

Even if you averaged in all Crayton's fair catches, he'd still have a higher average (5.95) than Pacman (4.61), who has zero fair catches. That doesn't factor in all the penalties on Pac's returns, either.

Even without discounting the times that Crayton was sent in specifically to fair catch (twice), Crayton's fair catch percentage (37.5) isn't appreciably different from some notable punt returners such as Chris Carr (39.6), Devin Hester (28.2), Roscoe Parrish (32.2), and Allen Rossum (43.8). That's not suggesting that he's comparable as a returner, just that Crayton isn't calling for an unusual number of fair catches.

Letemburn

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2502114 said:
A.) Forget Pac, we dont need him.
B.) Rest Barber, he is not effective, and Choice is performing very well
C.) I hope Holland will be able to go
D.) Same with Hamlin
E.) Romo will play, we all know that.

Pac played better then any other DB against the Steelers. Yea, we dont need him, lets just watch Henry play 10 yards off the receiver and let the WR still burn him. :confused:

Yes we have Jenkins and Scandrick who are playing out of this world, but i would love to see Pac return after his performance in the Steelers game, even after the beating he took.

bigE79

Reaction score
MrMom;2502416 said:
Dallas Cowboys cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones, who suffered a herniated disk in his neck against the Pittsburgh Steelers two weeks ago, returned to practice Wednesday but will not play Saturday against the Baltimore Ravens.

Jones was injured early in the Cowboys' 20-13 loss at Pittsburgh in Week 14. Jones was hurt in the first quarter when he fell on top of his muffed punt, getting caught in a scramble for the loose ball. After several players fell on him, Jones was pulled from the pile awkwardly by a Steelers player. But Jones played the rest of the game.
Coach Wade Phillips said at the time that Jones had a "herniated disk, maybe two"; NFL.com, citing a league source, reported that the injury could threaten Jones' career.
It was Jones' first game back after a six-game suspension, the second time he has been banned by commissioner Roger Goodell for off-field issues.
After starting the first six games for the Cowboys, Jones was suspended by Goodell on Oct. 14, a week after the cornerback got into an alcohol-related scuffle with one of his bodyguards during a private party at an upscale Dallas hotel.

The bodyguard was part of a security detail employed by the team to help keep the player out of trouble.

Goodell initially issued an indefinite suspension that he said would last at least four games. Jones was allowed to return to practice Nov. 24 but wasn't cleared to play until the Pittsburgh game.

Jones missed the entire 2007 season because of multiple incidents while with the Tennessee Titans, who traded him to Dallas during the offseason. Before playing last week, Jones had missed 22 of 28 games since the end of the 2006 season because of suspensions.

Jones had 28 tackles and a team-high 13 pass breakups in his seven games with the Cowboys.

I guess they didnt listen to WP PC because wade said pac is playing...morons:star:

Shinywalrus

Reaction score
kmd24;2502426 said:
Even if you averaged in all Crayton's fair catches, he'd still have a higher average (5.95) than Pacman (4.61), who has zero fair catches. That doesn't factor in all the penalties on Pac's returns, either.

Even without discounting the times that Crayton was sent in specifically to fair catch (twice), Crayton's fair catch percentage (37.5) isn't appreciably different from some notable punt returners such as Chris Carr (39.6), Devin Hester (28.2), Roscoe Parrish (32.2), and Allen Rossum (43.8). That's not suggesting that he's comparable as a returner, just that Crayton isn't calling for an unusual number of fair catches.

I don't think anyone's arguing that Crayton is doing anything bizarre, just that not including FC yardage (0) is just a statistically wrong way to measure what the returner is actually accomplishing when we put him on the field.

Considering that we average about 4 more feet per return when we send out Crayton, I'd much rather have the big play potential, personally...especially in a game where offensive points could be at a premium, a 1-in-4 or 1-in-5 chance of a punt returned for a TD is probably a rational level of upside to give up the lower average production.

A single punt return TD and all of a sudden Pac's real average is about 2.5 yards higher.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
MrMom;2502416 said:

bigE79;2502460 said:
I guess they didnt listen to WP PC because wade said pac is playing...morons:star:

Yep. Nearly the same article as the one above, but this one says he's playing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3776344

Dallas Cowboys cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones, who suffered a herniated disk in his neck against the Pittsburgh Steelers two weeks ago, returned to practice Wednesday, and coach Wade Phillips said he will play Saturday against the Baltimore Ravens.

Jones

Phillips said at the time that Jones had a "herniated disk, maybe two"; NFL.com, citing a league source, reported that the injury could threaten Jones' career.

kmd24

Reaction score
Shinywalrus;2502467 said:
Considering that we average about 4 more feet per return when we send out Crayton, I'd much rather have the big play potential, personally...especially in a game where offensive points could be at a premium, a 1-in-4 or 1-in-5 chance of a punt returned for a TD is probably a rational level of upside to give up the lower average production.

It's closer to a 1 in 20 chance, as Pac has 4 punt return TD's in 81 career returns. He's also muffed 2 kicks in 18 chances this year and muffed or fumbled 4 times in 34 returns in 2006, so it looks to me like he's twice as likely to give opponents a chance at a turnover as he is to return one for a TD.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I rest no one if they can play and play well. We don't have the luxury of resting anyone that can limp out on that field and play great football. If Pac can go, suit him up and let's get after them.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Clove;2502507 said:
I rest no one if they can play and play well. We don't have the luxury of resting anyone that can limp out on that field and play great football. If Pac can go, suit him up and let's get after them.

This.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2502114 said:
A.) Forget Pac, we dont need him.

Right.

Let's see. Adam Jones or Alan Ball playing for us at CB.

Simply about getting the best players on the field. Jones came back and played very well at CB. We need that.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2502568 said:
Right.

Let's see. Adam Jones or Alan Ball playing for us at CB.

Simply about getting the best players on the field. Jones came back and played very well at CB. We need that.

Get with the program Abe... dont you know its better to hate on a player or satisfy your agenda.... than to want the best players on the field for the ULTIMATE GOAL.... da SuperBowl....

I am suprised at you :laugh1:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
theogt;2502269 said:
I was kinda surprised at how good he was at corner for such a long layoff.

My theory on this is that a) Adam is a stellar raw talent and b) Like many knuckleheads who get in trouble, he has attention problems. Folks who have problems with attention lose focus when they aren't kept active -- Adam needs to work constantly during the game -- punt returns and kick returns, along with a steady role in the D likely help him to play better. I think this is similar to the old "get TO involved early" idea. Give these guys stuff to do and you'll get the most out of them - use them in a limited role and they lose focus.

BigBoy63

Reaction score
this shows just how much heart he has and how tough he is, he comes beck in a week from an injury that possibly could have been carrer ending. we need our returner back BAD!!

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Idgit;2502335 said:
Can't stand Pac. Wish we didn't need him. But he's another CB who can play tight press coverage. He frees up Henry to play more Safety, he might be our best tackler in the secondary, and he's been inches from breaking open a game with a pick/return on a couple of occasions. We could really use him this week.

Agreed. I don't even think about his off field troubles. He's a player and as long as he behaves here I'm all for him. He gives Wade a lot more flexibility.