DMN Blog: Quick hitters from Wade Phillips

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Quick hitters from Wade Phillips

10:48 AM Fri, Sep 26, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

We just finished our Friday press conference with Wade Phillips and he had the following news:

** Tank Johnson will practice and play after sitting out of Thursday's practice.

** Roy Williams has been doing some conditioning work since surgery on his fractured forearm and will need X-rays before getting back on the field. The timetable remains the same, which means Williams could be back for the Oct. 12 game at Arizona.

** With Sam Hurd ready, Phillips acknowledged there will be some decisions to make on the 45-man roster for Sunday. He said it is possible for Hurd and Isaiah Stanback to be active, but I have a feeling Stanback will sit and Orlando Scandrick will return kicks with Felix Jones.

** He said Montrae Holland, who should see some time at left guard Sunday, is more proficient as a run blocker because of his power but is decent pass blocker too. Phillips said Holland's experience should help with any continuity issues if/when he plays.

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/images/ice3/icons/blog.gif Comments (0) Leave comment | http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail entry

sago1

Reaction score
I'm very pleased with the Holland trade. He's an experienced starting OG with the size that HH loves which is great to have in a backup. The fact that they thinking about inserting him into the game in certain situations shows they have confidence in him. Would be interesting to watch how soon he becomes the primary OG backup replacing Proctor leaving Proctor as 2nd backup OG & primary C backup behind Gurode.

Will also be interesting to watch how soon he challenges Kosier for that job, although I think it won't be until next off season. In any case, trading a 5th rounder in the 2010 draft is cheap.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I would love for Hurd to break out. Is he a better Patrick Clayton? Or does he bring something else? What can Austin do and how will the Cowboys use him?

Speaking of Austin, why not put Austin back there returning kicks with FJ? They shouldn't be able to kick away from Jones but just kick it. I'd love for teams to start that pooch kick stuff again. I'll take the ball on the 35-40 yard line everytime. That's enough for Romo to work with. Don't know the exact % but scoring is a lot higher from the 40 than the 20.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I hope nobody is disappointed when Hurd is a spectator.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2287199 said:
** With Sam Hurd ready, Phillips acknowledged there will be some decisions to make on the 45-man roster for Sunday. He said it is possible for Hurd and Isaiah Stanback to be active, but I have a feeling Stanback will sit and Orlando Scandrick will return kicks with Felix Jones.
With Hurd back, it would be a solid move to sit Stanback and let his injured shoulder heal some more. Gotta look at the big picture.

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score
sago1;2287521 said:
I'm very pleased with the Holland trade. He's an experienced starting OG with the size that HH loves which is great to have in a backup. The fact that they thinking about inserting him into the game in certain situations shows they have confidence in him. Would be interesting to watch how soon he becomes the primary OG backup replacing Proctor leaving Proctor as 2nd backup OG & primary C backup behind Gurode.

Will also be interesting to watch how soon he challenges Kosier for that job, although I think it won't be until next off season. In any case, trading a 5th rounder in the 2010 draft is cheap.

I bet we see him in Goal Line and short yardage situations...

Reaction score
I want to see what Holland can do in the starting line up because Dallas will need to able to run behind the right side...

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DallasEast;2287698 said:
With Hurd back, it would be a solid move to sit Stanback and let his injured shoulder heal some more. Gotta look at the big picture.
Truthfully, it wouldn't be about the injured shoulder. That's going to be a season long issue. I think that Hurd brings more versatility than Stanback right now.