DMN Blog: Romo ready to move on, Practice updates, Folk talks

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo's ready to move on
Tony Romo winced a whole bunch when he watched the film of Monday night's game. He chalked it up as a learning experience and doesn't want to dwell on it.

"I think I won't make some of the mistakes that I made in the game again," Romo said. "At least I hope not."

Of course, the Patriots are pretty good at forcing quarterbacks to make mistake. That's not news to Romo, who has put the Bills game in the past and is focused on preparing for the mind games presented by Bill Belichick.

Belichick has been especially successful against quarterbacks the Patriots are playing for the first time. Romo has already studied reels and reels of film (not really since it's all digital) to try to figure out the secret to the Patriots' success.

One thing Romo noticed is that the Patriots' safeties are some tricky dudes. They often line up in one look, then shift at the last second, risking getting caught out of position to try to fool the QB.

"I think he really does a phenomenal job of giving the quarterback a certain look when it's really not that look," Romo said. "You just have to be prepared for that, and sometimes you’ve got to rely on your instincts. When a guy's open, you've got to throw it."

Posted by Tim MacMahon at 1:53 PM (E-mail this entry) | Comments (2)

Cowboys take it easy
The Cowboys wore just jerseys and shorts during today's practice -- no helmets or pads.

I wouldn't take that as a sign that the Cowboys are taking the Patriots lightly. The players are usually off two days after a game. I'm sure Wade Phillips figured he'd let them go without pads while sticking working the soreness out after a physical, emotionally draining game.

Bill Parcells never let his players go without pads the first practice after a Monday night game. But the Tuna never started 5-0 in Dallas, either.

Oh, and Anthony Henry wasn't out there. Figured you folks might be interested to know that.

Posted by Tim MacMahon at 2:00 PM (E-mail this entry) | Comments (4)

Kicking ain't surgery
The remarkable calmness rookie kicker Nick Folk displayed on Monday night runs in his family.

Folk comes from a long line of doctors. He said his grandfather, Dr. Quentin R. Stiles, invented heart bypass surgery. His grandmother, mother, two uncles and an aunt are also doctors.

"They have to be perfect in everything they do all the time or someone can die," said Folk, who was swarmed by reporters today. "In my situation, if you miss one, you live. Someone might be hurtin', but you'll live."

Folk planned to join the medical profession, but he switched his major from pre-med to marketing as a sophomore at Arizona.

"I'm not going to lie," Folk said. "I failed Calc II, so that kind of steered me away from it."

Folk can laugh about his academic failures, because the kid has aced all his NFL tests so far.

Posted by Tim MacMahon at 12:54 PM (E-mail this entry) | Comments (5)

<snip from other entry>

LB Bradie James officially invited Folk to every dinner the defensive players have from now until the end of time (or perhaps until Folk misses a clutch kick).

"He doesn't have to pay for anything," James said, "even though he's a rookie."

Posted by Tim MacMahon at 2:08 PM (E-mail this entry) | Comments (0)

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
I personally think JJ ought to tear up this kids contract and give him more money, I mean we lost a truckload on Vandershank, this kid has won us games, I mean even one might be the difference in getting in the playoffs..

Angus

Reaction score
Thanks for the post, WG. Appreciate the information.

:)

Jay-D

Reaction score
BARRYRAY;1699507 said:
I personally think JJ ought to tear up this kids contract and give him more money, I mean we lost a truckload on Vandershank, this kid has won us games, I mean even one might be the difference in getting in the playoffs..

What is the preoccupation people have with paying everybody who has a good game a huge amount of money?

This kid is getting paid handsomely to kick footballs for a living. He did his job.....just like he was supposed to.

He has a LONG way to go before he's considered an elite kicker.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Jay-D;1699675 said:
What is the preoccupation people have with paying everybody who has a good game a huge amount of money?

:laugh2: :laugh2:

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Jay-D;1699675 said:

This kid is getting paid handsomely to kick footballs for a living. He did his job.....just like he was supposed to.

I agree. JJ can shop at Wal-mart once in awhile. Buying Ray Finklejact at Macys he got ripped off.

I hope Finklejact's watchin'....................:mad:

thewivil

Reaction score
Jay-D;1699675 said:

Exactly. If we starting writing new contracts for every player who has a great game, we'd be back in salary cap hell in no time. He's getting paid to make kicks, so why should he get paid more because he's doing his job?

RomoMan

Benched
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1699965 said:
It's refreshing to know that Dallas finally landed a good kicker!

Yeah-even with Ledslow, our OL issues, our thin LB corps due to injuries, JJ's inconsistencies, and Tuna's stubborness, we didn't make the playoffs in '05 BECAUSE of our poor kicking game! Otherwise, we take the div hands down.

This is why I feel good about this year!:)