DMN Blog: Spencer's First Sack a Team Effort

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
September 25, 2007
Spencer's first sack a team effort

NS_23CowsBearsJM15.jpg

G.J. McCARTHY / DMN

First-round pick Anthony Spencer made sure to mention that his first career sack wouldn't have happened without DeMarcus Ware lined up on the other side.

Spencer wasn't just being a smart rookie, kissing up to the Pro Bowler. Ware's presence did make the sack possible.

Ware whupped 1-on-1 matchups for two sacks in the first half. The Bears wised up and slid protection his way after halftime.

The Cowboys were in a four-man front for Spencer's sack, with Ware at left DE and Spencer at right DE. Wade Phillips took advantage of the Bears sliding toward Ware by calling a stunt for Spencer, who looped inside to the vacancy created by C Olin Kreutz sliding to his right. Chris Canty, lined up at DT next to Spencer, also deserves some credit. He fired off the ball strong, occupying the LG and LT and giving Spencer room to work.

And Spencer displayed the explosiveness and agility that helped convince the Cowboys to trade back up into the first round to get him. Spencer burst through the opening created by Kreutz sliding over and Canty occupying the left guard. Backup LG Terrence Metcalf was only able to get a weak push on Spencer's back as he blew by him. Train Rex Grossman tried to slide left to avoid Spencer, but the rookie tracked him down and took him to the turf.

It's fun to watch Phillips' Xs and Os work with the bookend first-round pass-rushers. You'd think Ware and Spencer ought to create some serious havoc against the Rams, who will have to be pass-happy without Steven Jackson and won't have Orlando Pace protecting Marc Bulger's blindside.

Posted by Tim MacMahon http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 10:28 AM (E-mail this entry) | Comments (0)

superpunk

Reaction score
That stunt was a thing of beauty.

I saw Merriman do that so much last year. I think we'll be seeing Spencer loop around up the gut quite a bit, until somehow someone makes us pay for leaving a few gaps open. Nice job by Canty on that play, definitely.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
It's a shame that Spencer will never get credit for his actual first sack -- which came on the Giants' two-point conversion attempt. That was a bigger play than most other sacks.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
superpunk;1669607 said:

I saw Merriman do that so much last year. I think we'll be seeing Spencer loop around up the gut quite a bit, until somehow someone makes us pay for leaving a few gaps open. Nice job by Canty on that play, definitely.

Saw that right off, did ya? :cool:

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Now that he is no longer a (sack) virgin, find the hole and and pound it in...often.

Hopefully, we'll see lot more him taking down opposing QBs in the future.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Its great to have a coach that reacts so quickly to an adjustment made by the other team. Nice Wade.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
superpunk;1669607 said:

Yep. Canty got on the guard just long enough for Spencer to make it look great.

The great thing about having Spencer and Ware on stunts is that every once in a while, they do drop back into coverage, so the OL doesn't acount when they come off for a bit. Then they move forward again and shoot the gap.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Crown Royal;1669661 said:
Yep. Canty got on the guard just long enough for Spencer to make it look great.

The great thing about having Spencer and Ware on stunts is that every once in a while, they do drop back into coverage, so the OL doesn't acount when they come off for a bit. Then they move forward again and shoot the gap.
Spencer has looked very solid in coverage as well. Much better than Ellis last year.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1669620 said:
It's a shame that Spencer will never get credit for his actual first sack -- which came on the Giants' two-point conversion attempt. That was a bigger play than most other sacks.

True, but Hamlin deserved a lot of credit as well. He helped to the corner so Eli couldn't have an easy lob throw to the receiver (can't remember whom). The receivers crossed each other and usually if it was Keith Davis the safety would've gone to the inside, but Hamlin wasn't fooled and stayed to the outside giving Spencer all day to get that sack.

YAKUZA