DMN Blog: The Cowboys and The Ticket: End of an Era

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2597962 said:
He's always done all rounds (the only local station in the country), but he hasn't had access to the picks, the coachinng staff, Stephen and Jerry until they became the official flagship. Before that the most "inside" access they had was Mickey reporting from The Ranch, which is probably what they'll go back to.

And Fox's National coverage might be fine, but it's going to be for all 32 teams not just specifically for the Cowboys (and probably not for all 7 rounds).

Cowboy fans who enjoy the draft were unbelievably spoiled. What the Ticket provided was completely unprecedented.

But hey, we get Wally Lynn back !!!!

I am confused, Why do you think the ticket wont do the draft? I cant imagine anything changes with the draft except the loss of friedo.

again, the station did all 7 rounds before they were the cowboys station and kluv even had a draft show hosted by brad sham and featuring players and cheerleaders competing with it.

i dont think a thing will change with the draft, just no more player interviews which is no big deal.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
They are a CBS station, but at night when the local guys aren't on, they run the Fox sports radio feed... Or at least when I heard it they were. I guess Fox doesn't own its own radio stations, so they syndicate it out?

Anyway, IMO their NFL coverage is actually pretty good. Chris Landry was a real NFL scout and better than Kiper and Todd McShay, who can turn into caricatures. Lincoln Kennedy is pretty good, and the whole thing has less schitck than ESPN.

But I digress... I'm like you -- I think the Ticket coverage will be basically the same. So I don't get IR's point, either.

IR, are you sure you don't work for the Ticket? :)

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
theebs;2597981 said:
I am confused, Why do you think the ticket wont do the draft? I cant imagine anything changes with the draft except the loss of friedo.

again, the station did all 7 rounds before they were the cowboys station and kluv even had a draft show hosted by brad sham and featuring players and cheerleaders competing with it.

i dont think a thing will change with the draft, just no more player interviews which is no big deal.

They will do the draft. They just wont have access to Jerry, Stephen, the players and assistant coaches.

As someone who enjoys the draft, I would gladly trade even the greatness of Wally Lynn for that.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2597991 said:
They will do the draft. They just wont have access to Jerry, Stephen, the players and assistant coaches.

As someone who enjoys the draft, I would gladly trade even the greatness of Wally Lynn for that.

whats the deal with your wally lynn angst all of a sudden?

they didnt have access to them before 06 either?

it will be the same people. Norm in ny, George dunham and mickey spagnola at the ranch and bob and mike in the studio with guest spots from rick gosselin and corey chavous and assorted other draft experts.

no one covers the draft like the ticket and No one will. it is one of the best things they do. No one can do it like norm and nothing will change.

Jerry jones and wade phillips do a press conference each day of the draft and stephen usually does tv interviews. Those guys just recycle answers so I dont think we will miss anything there either.

And Jerry, Norm and the players will still do shows on the ticket so to me it is no big deal.

and i dont expect wally lynn to go to work at 105.3 if that makes you feel better. I imagine they will assemble their best talent i.e. ben n skin to work post game with someone like larry brown. I would really like to see charlie watters do the pregame though.

I wonder if 105.3 will pull a coup and get a big name for the morning drive, those jokers they have on now are just finishing out their contracts. What would happen if they offered norm a ton I wonder?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2597987 said:
But I digress... I'm like you -- I think the Ticket coverage will be basically the same. So I don't get IR's point, either.

No, just as a long time draft fan I just remember before The Ticket had coverage of the Cowboys that no local station had access to the picks, the assistant coaches giving their input and exclusive interviews with Stephen and Jerry during coverage, so I didn't take it for granted when Norm had it for these last 3 years.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2597987 said:
They are a CBS station, but at night when the local guys aren't on, they run the Fox sports radio feed... Or at least when I heard it they were. I guess Fox doesn't own its own radio stations, so they syndicate it out?

Anyway, IMO their NFL coverage is actually pretty good. Chris Landry was a real NFL scout and better than Kiper and Todd McShay, who can turn into caricatures. Lincoln Kennedy is pretty good, and the whole thing has less schitck than ESPN.

As an aside, Chris Landry just got busted for plagiarizing (sp?) a couple guys from the National Football Post.

He was put on blast by Florio (PFT). He was fired after it was proven beyond a shadow of doubt.

It was quite interesting to follow even tho it wasn't totally football-related.
Edit:
OUR TAKE? LANDRY “APOLOGIZED” TO AVOID LITIGATION

Posted on December 10th, 2008

Earlier today, while yours truly was ensconced in the demands of the “day job,” Josh Alper posted an item on Chris Landry’s “apology” to NationalFootballPost.com for accusing Mike Lombardi and/or Andrew Brandt of copying portions of Landry’s columns for Sportsnet.ca.
Our take on the matter is that Landry submitted this apology in response to a clear and imminent […]
LANDRY APOLOGIZES FOR ACCUSING LOMBARDI, BRANDT OF PLAGIARISM

Posted on December 10th, 2008

Chris Landry submitted a letter to National Football Post today in which he apologizes for his allegations that NFP’s Mike Lombardi and Andrew Brandt plagiarized his work on that site. In an e-mail to PFT, Landry implicitly made the allegation.
“I, Chris Landry, sincerely apologize for several recent internet columns published under my name at Sportsnet.ca […]
ANOTHER CASE OF PLAGIARISM?

Posted on December 9th, 2008

We’re trying to strike the right balance between the folks who want to see more information about the plagiarism scandal involving Chris Landry, and those of you who want us to move on/move out.
So, for now, we’ll be posting any new developments in this matter as separate articles, with only a brief teaser mention in […]
MORE EVIDENCE OF INTERNET PLAGIARISM?

Posted on December 9th, 2008

Last week, allegations arose from the first time that Chris Landry, a freelance writer and radio personality who claims consulting relationships with multiple NFL teams and college programs, had lifted multiple portions of columns written during the 2008 NFL season by Michael Lombardi (and, in at least one occasion, Andrew Brandt) of NationalFootballPost.com.
The discovery of the similarities […]
A STAR IS BORN

Posted on December 8th, 2008

Before Sunday, Vikings tight end Visanthe Shiancoe was a name known primarily to bona fide football geeks, and particularly those who were pleased to get some solid fantasy production from an off-the-radar source.
Now, however, Shiancoe is becoming a star. But not for anything he has done on the field; the coming run on Shiancoe jerseys at […]
DUEMIG HINTS THAT LANDRY HAD A HISTORY OF PLAGIARISM

Posted on December 8th, 2008

As much as we’d like to close the book on last week’s fascinating story of Internet plagiarism involving Chris Landry, we can’t. Not yet.
We’ve got a few more things to say on the subject, and here’s one that we didn’t anticipate 30 minutes ago.
During the opening segment of his Monday show on WDAE in Tampa, […]
DUEMIG DUMPS LANDRY

Posted on December 6th, 2008

We had planned to go at least 24 hours without further comment on the Chris Landry plagiarism issue that we and many readers (but not all of them) have found so fascinating over the past few days.
But there has been an unexpected development.
Tampa radio host Steve Duemig, who vowed earlier this week to defend Landry […]
MORT PLAYS BOTH SIDES OF FENCE, AGAIN

Posted on December 6th, 2008

We really like Chris Mortensen. He’s been doing this thing since long before the days Fred Edelstein was introduced to the concept of soap-on-a-rope, and Mort has always been respectful and fair with us.
He’s also a good sport, in that we can tweak him from time to time and he won’t fly off the handle […]
LANDRY DENIES PLAGIARISM

Posted on December 5th, 2008

For those of you who didn’t follow the Live Blog of Chris Landry’s appearance on the Steve Duemig show and who don’t want to review it (though some of the reader comments were priceless), here’s the gist of it.
Landry denied everything.
Duemig asked Landry point blank whether he plagiarized content from Andrew Brandt and Mike Lombardi […]
LANDRY ON DUEMIG LIVE BLOG

[Editor’s note: To be properly enjoyed (or otherwise), the following Live Blog needs to be read while listening to Friday’s edition of the Steve Duemig show on WDAE in Tampa. A podcast of the show is available for now at the station’s web site. The comments made during the Live Blog by myself and the readers are primarily statements of […]
BUCHANAN AWOL FROM ESPN

Former NFL cornerback Ray Buchanan, whose post-football work includes periodic television appearances on ESPN2’s First Take, hasn’t been seen or heard from this week by the folks in Bristol.
We received word via a media source of Buchanan’s absence, and so we contacted ESPN for confirmation.
Said ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz of Buchanan: “He missed his scheduled appearances. We […]
SPORTSNET.CA ANNOUNCES TERMINATION OF RELATIONSHIP WITH LANDRY

Posted on December 4th, 2008

At a time when there was some confusion on the grapevine regarding whether Sportsnet.ca had severed ties with Chris Landry because it believed he had committed plagiarism or because the company merely wanted to avoid being connected to a controversy even if its writer was in the right, along with the question of whether Landry’s work product had been removed from […]
SPORTSNET.CA ENDS LANDRY’S COLUMNS

Posted on December 4th, 2008

[Editor’s note: In a prior version of this story, we stated that Sportsnet.ca “fired” Chris Landry. Lawyer Frank X. Santore contacted us to dispute the contention that Mr. Landry has been “fired” by Sportsnet.ca. Although we leave it to the reader to determine whether this is an exercise in semantics or something more substantive, we have decided […]
SMOKING GUN EMERGES IN LANDRY SITUATION

Posted on December 3rd, 2008

We’ve spent plenty of time over the past two days delving into the question of how and why written content from Chris Landry of Sportsnet.ca and Mike Lombardi of NationalFootballPost.com would contain so many glaring similarities.
Though we know some of you don’t view this issue as interesting, plenty of you have expressed to us a […]
DUEMIG DEFENDS LANDRY

Posted on December 3rd, 2008

Since we didn’t know Chris Landry before our unusual foray on Tuesday into the world of journalism ethics, which began when a league source pointed out to us some bizarre similarities between the December 1 columns of Landry and Mike Lombardi, we attempted to contact Landry initially through Steve Duemig of WDAE radio, given that Landry […]
LANDRY RESPONDS

Posted on December 2nd, 2008

With the assistance of WDAE’s Steve Duemig (who doesn’t care for me much anymore, which gives him something in common with an ever-growing number of people), I’ve finally tracked down Chris Landry of Sportsnet.ca regarding the allegations that he copied content from Andrew Brandt and Mike Lombardi of NationalFootballPost.com.
Via e-mail, I asked Chris for an on-the-record […]
BRANDT, LOMBARDI CLAIM PLAGIARISM BY LANDRY

Both Andrew Brandt and Michael Lombardi of NationalFootballPost.com have responded to our inquiries regarding the amazing similarities between portions of their December 1 columns and content posted by Chris Landry of Sportsnet.ca.
Said Brandt, via e-mail: “Thanks to your site, we became aware of our content being copied by another site without attribution. We are looking […]
UPDATE ON THE WHOLE PLAGIARISM THING

We’ve been engaged in some actual journalism activities from time to time on Tuesday as we try to get to the bottom of the uncanny similarities between online articles published on December 1 and previously by Chris Landry of Sportsnet.ca and Mike Lombardi of NationalFootballPost.com.
When we last addressed this matter, it wasn’t looking good for Landry, […]
IT’S NOT LOOKING GOOD FOR LANDRY

Well, it appears that the culprit in the plagiarism scandal is Chris Landry, and that the victim is Mike Lombardi.
The evidence? Landry’s December 1 column also contains striking similarities to Andrew Brandt’s Monday column at the same web site for which Lombardi currently writes.
From Brandt: “The Giants have a few options but will likely take […]
A STUNNING CASE OF INTERNET NFL PLAGIARISM

Plenty of former NFL scouts are using the Internet as a tool for staying in the game even when not gainfully employed by an NFL club.
As to two former scouts who once worked together for the Browns, Mike Lombardi and Chris Landry, a league source has pointed out to us stunning similarities between their most […]

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Does this mean that Brad Sham won't be doing the Cowboys broadcasts anymore? If that's the case that's going to suck.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2598082 said:
Does this mean that Brad Sham won't be doing the Cowboys broadcasts anymore? If that's the case that's going to suck.

no not at all. All the cowboys people during the broadcast work for the cowboys. Sham had nothing to do with the ticket and never came on the ticket. I dont think him and laufenberg like the people at the ticket at all.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
As a P1, I'm glad they're going. Honestly, there was a lot of Cowboys fluff on the Ticket when I'd rather just hear regular programming.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
theebs;2598087 said:
no not at all. All the cowboys people during the broadcast work for the cowboys. Sham had nothing to do with the ticket and never came on the ticket. I dont think him and laufenberg like the people at the ticket at all.

Ahhh, excellent. Thank you very much.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2598127 said:
Didn't know that, WG...

Nothing gets by you!
Teehee, when you troll PFT like I do, you never know what may pop up.

I don't think it takes anything away from what he knows, but if he were to actually start blogging, he loses a bit of credibility.

Randy White

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2597728 said:
Hopefully they get Wally Lynn and Drew Pearson back on the postgame. Can't wait to get rid of Norm there.

What's wrong with Norm ?

gosuns

Reaction score
The contracts for carrying NFL teams broadcasts is usually very unfavoravble for radio stations. In these economic times the ticket was I'm sure left with little choice but to drop the Cowboys and find another team to do play by play for that would allow the ticket more available slots for their own commercials instead of having to carry most all "network" commercials. The network as in cowboys radio network gets ALL the profit from those spots and the cowboys games are LOADED with network breaks with almost none being available for the local station to sell.

On another note. Friedo has left the Ticket. Look for him and the Cowboys to pop up over at 103.3 FM.