DMN Blog: The Tony Romo/Danny White comparisons are ridiculous

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Tony Romo/Danny White comparisons are ridiculous

10:13 AM Mon, Dec 22, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

It's fashionable these days to call Tony Romo the next Danny White. But it's not fair.

Danny White does not deserve to be the Dallas symbol of a choker.

White went 5-3 in the playoffs in his first three seasons as a starter, taking the Cowboys to the NFC championship game all three seasons. He pulled off one of the greatest comebacks in playoff history when the Cowboys rallied from two TDs down on the road to beat Atlanta in a 1980 divisional game. And was it White's fault that The Catch kept the Cowboys out of a Super Bowl?

It just seems silly that a fan base which hasn't enjoyed a playoff win in more than a decade scoffs at a quarterback who led his team to three straight conference title games.

It's also still premature to consider Romo a guy who comes up small in big games, although he hasn't provided much ammo to fight that argument in losses to Pittsburgh and Baltimore this month. First of all, the guy has won big games, beating the Packers with the NFC's top seed on the line last season, the Giants with NFC East supremacy at stake, the Giants a couple Sundays ago, etc. And he was a play away from winning both his playoff starts.

Romo is the best active QB who has never won a playoff game. If he plays well Sunday, he'll get a chance to get rid of that title.

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/images/ice3/icons/blog.gif Comments (25) Leave comment | http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail entry

fweegy

Reaction score
They are rediculous. Romo couldn't carry Danny's jock strap and probably never will.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
fweegy;2518248 said:
They are rediculous. Romo couldn't carry Danny's jock strap and probably never will.

Danny White behind this offensive line would've been interesting to watch.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
On the Danny White and the catch thing, everyone forgets that after "the catch" White hit Pearson on a post route and the 49ers defender just got enough of a finger on Pearson's jersey to stop him from what would have been the game winning TD. It would have turned into Danny White's moment instead of Montana's and who knows how history would look at White differently.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
fweegy;2518248 said:

Your equally ridiculous.

White and Romo are both good quarterbacks.

Romo is in his 2nd full season starting and 3rd season. If he wins sunday, it will be 3 straight years in the playoffs.

I for one have confidence in him.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I shouldn't even respond to this but, Danny was a pretty damn good QB. The issues with the Cowboys weren't all contributed to him. They went a lot deeper than Danny.

As for Romo, his has the ability to become a HoFer ala Brett Farve type numbers. I just think he needs to make sure he has the right thing on the front burner. I just think he has it mixed up right now.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Wrangler87;2518254 said:
On the Danny White and the catch thing, everyone forgets that after "the catch" White hit Pearson on a post route and the 49ers defender just got enough of a finger on Pearson's jersey to stop him from what would have been the game winning TD. It would have turned into Danny White's moment instead of Montana's and who knows how history would look at White differently.

http://img175.*************/img175/7/vlcsnap404949lt0.jpg

Had the game been played under today's rules, the horsecollar penalty alone would have put us in FG position.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I agree with this line of thought and wish people would stop putting Romo in the same sentence as DWite.

fweegy

Reaction score
theebs;2518259 said:
Your equally ridiculous.

White and Romo are both good quarterbacks.

Romo is in his 2nd full season starting and 3rd season. If he wins sunday, it will be 3 straight years in the playoffs.

I for one have confidence in him.

We will wait and see then on Monday I will be proven right again over you for like the 1,000th time. In a battle of football wits, your unarmed.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
fweegy;2518306 said:
We will wait and see then on Monday I will be proven right again over you for like the 1,000th time. In a battle of football wits, your unarmed.
So would you rather the 'boys lose and you be right or would you prefer the 'boys to win and be proven wrong?

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
I didn't get to see some parts of the farewell ceremony after the game, but was Danny White in attendance for the ceremony?

The Panch

Reaction score
Wrangler87;2518254 said:
Amazing to think the 49ers dynasty probably would've never happened if not for that tackle. I remember that NFL commercial with Don Cheadle talking about "The Catch" and how the Bengals would become the dynasty of the decade and Jerry Rice would build a HOF career as a Bengal.

fweegy

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2518324 said:
So would you rather the 'boys lose and you be right or would you prefer the 'boys to win and be proven wrong?

I didn't say that at all. Of course I want them to win. I will always root for them. Do I think they will win? Nope. Do I think Romo will guide us to victory Sunday or any other year? Nope again. But I will root for them and hope I am wrong. If it looks like a rat, smells like a rat, well then, by golly, it's a rat. Romo is a fantasy players dream. A winning QB in the NFL he is not. And I own one of his jerseys, was a full supporter of him and willing to give him the benefit of the doubt untill this year. Nothing ever changes with him, from the interceptions, to the fumbles, to the all around lousy play. He will win you a fantasy league, but not a SB.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Wrangler87;2518254 said:

you are right

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
fweegy;2518248 said:

Completely false. Romo's been seen carrying Danny White's jock on several occasions recently.

bbgun;2518282 said:
http://img175.*************/img175/7/vlcsnap404949lt0.jpg

Had the game been played under today's rules, the horsecollar penalty alone would have put us in FG position.

Damn you, bbgun. That wasn't a very Christmassy post.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
fweegy;2518372 said:
I didn't say that at all. Of course I want them to win. I will always root for them. Do I think they will win? Nope. Do I think Romo will guide us to victory Sunday or any other year? Nope again. But I will root for them and hope I am wrong. If it looks like a rat, smells like a rat, well then, by golly, it's a rat. Romo is a fantasy players dream. A winning QB in the NFL he is not. And I own one of his jerseys, was a full supporter of him and willing to give him the benefit of the doubt untill this year. Nothing ever changes with him, from the interceptions, to the fumbles, to the all around lousy play. He will win you a fantasy league, but not a SB.
You didn't say it, but it was certainly implied, which is why I asked.

You're entitled to your doubts abour Romo. His play has warranted criticism, for sure. I guess I'm not quite ready to throw him under the bus just yet. Time will tell.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Idgit;2518408 said:
Completely false. Romo's been seen carrying Danny White's jock on several occasions recently.

Damn you, bbgun. That wasn't a very Christmassy post.

Ah, but I'll have one tomorrow. Stay tuned.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
fweegy;2518372 said:

If you root for them then how can you think they will lose?

WoodysGirl;2518410 said:
You didn't say it, but it was certainly implied, which is why I asked.

You're entitled to your doubts abour Romo. His play has warranted criticism, for sure. I guess I'm not quite ready to throw him under the bus just yet. Time will tell.

I'm not ready to root against him nor will I ever be. I'm tired of the wishy washy poster that slobber or Romo one week then claim that he's a terrible QB the next week. Like they harp on his two first half INT's against the Ravens however, they don't say anything about his two TD throws in the 4th or how if we go for an onside kicks it's our win. Our how the D came up short once again and allowed the Ravens to score 34 points and rush for 250 + yards....nope it's all on Romo.....

fweegy

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2518555 said:
If you root for them then how can you think they will lose?

I can be a realist along with a fan. I don't own rose colored glasses and think the whole world is one big ol fluffly marshmellow. History backs me up on this. The bigger the game, the more Romo folds. Til history is changed, I will continue to doubt him. If I am wrong, I get a shiny new ring. If I am right, well then, when his contract is done in 20 years, we can draft Tom Brady's kid.