DMN: BLOG: Things to look for today

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Things to look for today

10:39 AM Thu, Jul 31, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Calvin Watkins

With only one practice today here's some things we're looking out for.

1. Brad Johnson. He's looked pretty good the last two days, threw a nice deep ball in the morning practice on Wednesday. He seems to always make the right play.

2. DeMarcus Ware. Though it wasn't serious, Ware got dinged at the end of the morning practice. He seemed to be OK and was on the field during the special teams portion of practice on Wednesday.

3. Alan Ball. He sprained a ankle on Wednesday and in this tough competition for cornerbacks, let's see if he's on the field today.

4. Bobby Carpenter. He's played well the last two days and along with Kevin Burnett has been knocking down passes, showed good coverage skills and been right in the faces of running backs and tight ends.

5. Terrell Owens. Had a few drops on Wednesday and Adam Jones said he's got the lead in their one-on-one battle. I'm sure T.O. will be looking to even the score.

6. Marc Colombo. The Red Sox fan might be a little worried about the potential trade of Manny Ramirez, he went 0-3, with a walk on Wednesday. Colombo should be inspired to knock a few people down today.

7. Isaiah Stanback. Something has happened to Mr. Stanback. He's showing everybody he can play. He's running good routes catching passes, low and behind especially, and creating some distance between the other young receivers (Danny Amendola, Mike Jefferson and Mark Bradford).

8. No. 3 running back battle. It's an interesting watch. Tashard Choice is running fine and Alonzo Coleman is behind right now. Keon Lattimore has looked good bouncing off a few defenders in practice.

9. Mike Jenkins. It looks like the rookie is having so much fun out there. He's really improved the last few days in man coverage.

10. Anthony Spencer. Playing real smooth. Showing good speed at the point of attack and he looks faster than last season. He's getting a faster jump than last season when the ball is snapped.

Reaction score
Cbz40;2168146 said:
Things to look for today

10:39 AM Thu, Jul 31, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Calvin Watkins

1. Brad Johnson. He's looked pretty good the last two days, threw a nice deep ball in the morning practice on Wednesday. He seems to always make the right play.

2. DeMarcus Ware. Though it wasn't serious, Ware got dinged at the end of the morning practice. He seemed to be OK and was on the field during the special teams portion of practice on Wednesday.

3. Alan Ball. He sprained a ankle on Wednesday and in this tough competition for cornerbacks, let's see if he's on the field today.

4. Bobby Carpenter. He's played well the last two days and along with Kevin Burnett has been knocking down passes, showed good coverage skills and been right in the faces of running backs and tight ends.

5. Terrell Owens. Had a few drops on Wednesday and Adam Jones said he's got the lead in their one-on-one battle. I'm sure T.O. will be looking to even the score.

6. Marc Colombo. The Red Sox fan might be a little worried about the potential trade of Manny Ramirez, he went 0-3, with a walk on Wednesday. Colombo should be inspired to knock a few people down today.

7. Isaiah Stanback. Something has happened to Mr. Stanback. He's showing everybody he can play. He's running good routes catching passes, low and behind especially, and creating some distance between the other young receivers (Danny Amendola, Mike Jefferson and Mark Bradford).

8. No. 3 running back battle. It's an interesting watch. Tashard Choice is running fine and Alonzo Coleman is behind right now. Keon Lattimore has looked good bouncing off a few defenders in practice.

9. Mike Jenkins. It looks like the rookie is having so much fun out there. He's really improved the last few days in man coverage.

10. Anthony Spencer. Playing real smooth. Showing good speed at the point of attack and he looks faster than last season. He's getting a faster jump than last season when the ball is snapped.

I want to see these players in preseason more than anyone on the team.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
I like what I'm hearing about Carpenter. It sounds like he might finally be 'getting it'. Maybe he'll actually contribute on defense this year.

Good news on Jenkins. I hope he's the real deal.

Our pass rush with Ware, Ellis, and Spencer in there should finally live up to our expectations this year. ....we all know what happens in Phillips' second year with a team.

Brandon

Benched
Reaction score
"Mike Jenkins has really improved in man coverage"

Great, sadly, hes been playing man since he was 14, and we run a zone scheme in the secondary, so how about we get some improvement in that profession.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2168236 said:
Good Old Brad Johnson looking good, Priceless!

I think some people are making too much of the Brad Johnson thing. I don't think he's nearly as washed up as most people on this forum think. It's been reported that the coaches have specifically limited the number of his deep balls during training camp to keep his arm fresh (hence the constant dump offs), and that the ones he's thrown this year have been crisp or at least OK. He obviously doesn't have the strongest arm, but he's a smart enough player to fill in for a game or two without the season being lost.

That being said, we need to find his replacement, and soon.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score

Cool, now we can have both our OLBs getting bogus offsides calls.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Dreadnought;2168243 said:
"Mike Jenkins has really improved in man coverage"

Great, sadly, hes been playing man since he was 14, and we run a zone scheme in the secondary, so how about we get some improvement in that profession.
Actually they will run more man this year. They can teach a guy to play zone, its more difficult to teach man if the guy isn't blessed with the physical gifts for it.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Little tidbit... Nate is saying on Mike's show that yesterday Kosier got bullrushed and run over and Houck immediately pulled him out because of it. Nate says that's not normally the way you treat an established, solid starter.

Like he said, maybe it's nothing, but it could be something to keep an eye on.

sago1

Reaction score
Kinda surprised HH would pull Kosier like that unless Kosier injuried or HH wanted specifically address Kosier's technique on that play. Will be interesting to hear/read about what Kosier does today or whether another OG steps in.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
Mostly good, but...

Cbz40;2168146 said:

Seriously? That's what you are looking for? Stellar journalism there, Lucky.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
I LOVE ME SOME ME!;2168209 said:
[/b]

Add Stanbeck to that list and I am right there with ya. I also want to see lil' baby Ray-Ray (Lewis).

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
I LOVE ME SOME ME!;2168209 said:
[/B]

>>>Isaiah Stanback. Something has happened to Mr. Stanback. He's showing everybody he can play.<<<

Now that's who I'm most interested in seeing because I believe his ability to step up into a #4 WR spot is what led Dallas to choose him over Terry Glenn as the team's #4 sopt-WR.