WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tony Romo explains abandoning the run

3:44 PM Wed, Oct 01, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Tony Romo played dumb when asked about T.O.'s postgame comments, claiming he ignores the media after losses. He also apparently never got the message that Wade Phillips felt the Cowboys audibled out of too many running plays in the loss to the Commanders.

"When you run the ball, you've got to see production," Romo said when asked about the Cowboys abandoning the run. "If a team doesn't have a very good quarterback and he's not connecting on passes, you're probably not going to keep on throwing. The production wasn't there in the beginning, so we had to throw the ball there in the beginning and we didn't connect on the third downs.

"We had too many three-and-outs. They weren't giving us good looks. Too many situations where we were used to getting a lead and then we would give Barber the ball and it adds to the stats. When you're trailing, that's one when you get three-and-outs. You're not extending the drives."

So much for the theory of letting Marion The Barbarian and the Cowboys' massive offensive line wear down opponents, huh?

Phillips said that Romo does exactly what the coaches tell him to when he comes up the line. And the coaches will tell him to hand the ball off to Barber a lot more often than last week, whether he sees an eight-man front or not.

Comments (0) Leave comment | E-mail entry

jumanji

Reaction score
if we had been down by a lot of points, i could bring myself to agree. with it being a close game, you don't abandon the run...period

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If some of those third downs had been converted then there would have been more runs.

If the defense could have gotten off the field there would have been more runs.

If the running game had netted half-way decent yardage there would have been more runs.

Audibling out of loser running plays was not the problem... :rolleyes:

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Uhh.. am I the only one that thinks this is kind of insulting to the o-line and Barber? He basically said that unless we have the lead, then Barber is useless and that their looks were so intimidating that he didn't trust the line to block for the guy.

He didn't really take any responsibility here considering he missed on a bunch of throws. He doesn't trust us to run tough so he puts the game in his hands and didn't deliver.

There must be more to the interview, I've never heard Romo talk like this before, first the line thing and now this?

Neither is as big a deal as the media will make it out to be, but they also don't show a lot of faith in the ground game at all.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TheCount;2302368 said:
Uhh.. am I the only one that thinks this is kind of insulting to the o-line and Barber? He basically said that unless we have the lead, then Barber is useless and that their looks were so intimidating that he didn't trust the line to block for the guy.

He didn't really take any responsibility here considering he missed on a bunch of throws. He doesn't trust us to run tough so he puts the game in his hands and didn't deliver.

There must be more to the interview, I've never heard Romo talk like this before, first the line thing and now this?

Neither is as big a deal as the media will make it out to be, but they also don't show a lot of faith in the ground game at all.

If you want to read things into statements I'm sure it could mean anything you want it to.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Gunslinging QBs would throw every down if you let them. You gotta have balance and Red should know it. He's shown a few times that he can get pass happy.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2302375 said:
If you want to read things into statements I'm sure it could mean anything you want it to.

No wonder you have 30k posts with gems like these.

Deep_South

Reaction score
There should have been follow-up questions to Tony's statements here because it really is hard to tell what he means.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheCount;2302415 said:
There are a couple threads with the audio/video of the interview. I'm sure these comments are explained better within context.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TheCount;2302415 said:

Why not you have a few of your own gems. You sit there taking a statement and read into it what you think someone said? Give me break hell you can read anything into any statement you want but to pass it off as Romo slamming the line or Barber when the fact is he did nothing of the sort is stupid.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
We've had awfull throwing games in the past ... like the 2nd Eagles game last year ... RJ never abandoned the pass. In fact, he just passed more.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;2302368 said:

I think your right I think it's a flat out lie to say that the run game wasn't producing.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2302299 said:
Tony Romo explains abandoning the run

3:44 PM Wed, Oct 01, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Tony Romo played dumb when asked about T.O.'s postgame comments, claiming he ignores the media after losses. He also apparently never got the message that Wade Phillips felt the Cowboys audibled out of too many running plays in the loss to the Commanders.

"When you run the ball, you've got to see production," Romo said when asked about the Cowboys abandoning the run. "If a team doesn't have a very good quarterback and he's not connecting on passes, you're probably not going to keep on throwing. The production wasn't there in the beginning, so we had to throw the ball there in the beginning and we didn't connect on the third downs.

"We had too many three-and-outs. They weren't giving us good looks. Too many situations where we were used to getting a lead and then we would give Barber the ball and it adds to the stats. When you're trailing, that's one when you get three-and-outs. You're not extending the drives."

So much for the theory of letting Marion The Barbarian and the Cowboys' massive offensive line wear down opponents, huh?

Phillips said that Romo does exactly what the coaches tell him to when he comes up the line. And the coaches will tell him to hand the ball off to Barber a lot more often than last week, whether he sees an eight-man front or not.

Comments (0) Leave comment | E-mail entry

Lame. why are we letting other teams dictate what plays we run? "Oh, they had eight men in the box so we had no choice but to pass and abandon the run all together." Bologna! How about motioning a TE over to get better blocking? There are other things that we can do besides "taking what the other team gives us."

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2302428 said:
We've had awfull throwing games in the past ... like the 2nd Eagles game last year ... RJ never abandoned the pass. In fact, he just passed more.

Very good point.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2302427 said:
Why not you have a few of your own gems. You sit there taking a statement and read into it what you think someone said? Give me break hell you can read anything into any statement you want but to pass it off as Romo slamming the line or Barber when the fact is he did nothing of the sort is stupid.

Yeah, you just let me know when it's okay to give my opinion on something like everyone else on the forum, alright chief?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
TheCount;2302368 said:

I don't think he was being that pointed with his comments. But I was a little taken aback by his statement that they couldn't run so the best thing to do was pass.

I also like that sly comment about teams without a quarterback don't pass. Obviously, the Cowboys have a good quarterback in him so they pass. :D