DMN Blog: Tony Romo explains abandoning the run

tyke1doe

Reaction score
jdub2k4;2302611 said:
Lame. why are we letting other teams dictate what plays we run? "Oh, they had eight men in the box so we had no choice but to pass and abandon the run all together." Bologna! How about motioning a TE over to get better blocking? There are other things that we can do besides "taking what the other team gives us."

"We give Barber the ball and that adds to the stats."

Oh so Barber can't pick up that yardage without a lead, huh? ;)

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
stealth;2302343 said:
Tony was off that whole game, it happens.

Its more than that. "it happens" while it does sometimes happen it can be created.

Opposing teams are targeting Tony for pressure. He doesnt run anymore so they ALWAYs know where he is. Its the gameplan against Tony Romo.

Expect to see more "off the whole game" if he stays back there in the pocket thinking he is Brady.

He needs to run when it there... that will leave a defender in to shadow him and make it easier for the WR's.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
EGG;2302324 said:
If some of those third downs had been converted then there would have been more runs.

If the defense could have gotten off the field there would have been more runs.

If the running game had netted half-way decent yardage there would have been more runs.

Audibling out of loser running plays was not the problem... :rolleyes:

Agreed. And if he sees them loading up the box and hope he audibles out of it. They just need to come up with some different hot routes and adjust faster to the defense jumping familiar routes.

Wood

Reaction score
Romo brings up a very valid point. The offense usuallys gets off early with big throws thru the air...then really lets Marion run the ball most of the fourth quarter thus giving the appearence of a balanced attack...but most of the damage has started thur the air initially this season...but that did not happen last sunday...so they never got to the fourth quarter running attack. Washington just played a brilliant pass defense and Romo was off...its just that simple.

Undisputed

Reaction score
tyke1doe;2302840 said:
Oh so Barber can't pick up that yardage without a lead, huh? ;)

Of course not. We don't even have any coming from behind running plays. In fact, I've been told that rushing yards and touchdowns don't even count when your down by three points. It's just a touchback and the other team receives the ball on the 20.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TheCount;2302826 said:
Yeah, you just let me know when it's okay to give my opinion on something like everyone else on the forum, alright chief?

I have never stopped you from giving an opinion now have I? I guess you are just reading into my statement as you did Romo's.

superpunk

Reaction score
It's the blueprint we used under Norval. We run alot of the same plays, too, especially the one Horton made his pick on - I doubt any 90s safety makes that play, tbh. That was ALOT of ground he covered.

Teams are ready for the 10 yard comeback to the sideline. It's about time to double move that baby.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
After reading that, I think Tony should let someone else talk about that. His explanation was lame.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Chief;2303308 said:
After reading that, I think Tony should let someone else talk about that. His explanation was lame.

Not only that... I was hoping that he was gonna tell us why he abandoned HIS RUNNING.:D

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2303226 said:
I have never stopped you from giving an opinion now have I? I guess you are just reading into my statement as you did Romo's.

You couldn't stop me if you wanted to. Perhaps you missed the sarcasm in the idea of me giving a crap what you think about me posting my opinion on an article in a forum full of opinions on articles.

To call it "stupid" that I would take part in a forum discussion, despite the fact that I said the context was important and I wanted to hear the whole conversation because this little snippet made it sound like he was accusing the ground game of being unproductive in 8 attempts so he decided to throw it 47 times in a game we were never out of, makes you sound belligerent.

In short, I will read whatever I want into anything I want. If you want to discuss the subject because you see things different, feel free, but don't give me the drive-through "your stoopid" and streak back into the night like some kind of internet superhero.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
YoMick;2303318 said:
Not only that... I was hoping that he was gonna tell us why he abandoned HIS RUNNING.:D

He's already explained that...he has 69 million reasons not to run anymore.

:jackpot:

khiladi

Reaction score
There is no justification in the way this offense called the game. If anybody says anything otherwise, it is B.S. This team needs to run more, especially with this bruising offensive line. That is it..

I don't care for any explanations.... Just run the ball....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TheCount;2303410 said:
You couldn't stop me if you wanted to. Perhaps you missed the sarcasm in the idea of me giving a crap what you think about me posting my opinion on an article in a forum full of opinions on articles.

To call it "stupid" that I would take part in a forum discussion, despite the fact that I said the context was important and I wanted to hear the whole conversation because this little snippet made it sound like he was accusing the ground game of being unproductive in 8 attempts so he decided to throw it 47 times in a game we were never out of, makes you sound belligerent.

In short, I will read whatever I want into anything I want. If you want to discuss the subject because you see things different, feel free, but don't give me the drive-through "your stoopid" and streak back into the night like some kind of internet superhero.

I did not try and stop you now did I? You made a comment and I called you out on it now you little feeling are hurt. Get over it

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2303435 said:
I did not try and stop you now did I? You made a comment and I called you out on it now you little feeling are hurt. Get over it

I don't think you know what it means to "call someone out", and the day anyone on the internet can hurt my feelings is the day I stick my head in an oven and end it all. ;)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheCount;2303462 said:
I don't think you know what it means to "call someone out", and the day anyone on the internet can hurt my feelings is the day I stick my head in an oven and end it all. ;)
...but what if you have one of those teeny-weeny microwave ovens? You know... the kind that you use to nuke burritos in at the convenience store?

Just kidding. I couldn't resist. ;) :)

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
DallasEast;2303471 said:
...but what if you have one of those teeny-weeny microwave ovens? You know... the kind that you use to nuke burritos in at the convenience store?

Just kidding. I couldn't resist. ;) :)

Well then I'd probably just make a burrito and go about my day, I didn't say I couldn't be convinced to stay my own execution. :D

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
I think this is on Romo. 8 rushes is not enough to determine whether things are working or not.

1st half: 6 possessions
1st Qtr: 4 rushes
2nd Qtr: 3 rushes

This is NOT enough to determine that the rush isn't working. Sometimes quarterbacks are quarterbacks to the detriment of themselves and their teams; This is such a case. I like Tony Romo and support him 100% but in this case, I think he should have left the play calling to the coaches.

IMO, when the coaches saw Tony audibling out of so many runs, early in the game (1st half) they should have clamped down on him and made him stick to the game plan.

Again, I have faith in Tony Romo to connect when we need it; he did it late in the game to get the team within a FG of a win. If they were behind by 2-3scores, Ok, but a lead was never that far out of reach.

New nicknames for Barber & Jones Bread and Butter! :)

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
EPL0c0;2303524 said:
I think this is on Romo. 8 rushes is not enough to determine whether things are working or not.

1st half: 6 possessions
1st Qtr: 4 rushes
2nd Qtr: 3 rushes

This is NOT enough to determine that the rush isn't working. Sometimes quarterbacks are quarterbacks to the detriment of themselves and their teams; This is such a case. I like Tony Romo and support him 100% but in this case, I think he should have left the play calling to the coaches.

IMO, when the coaches saw Tony audibling out of so many runs, early in the game (1st half) they should have clamped down on him and made him stick to the game plan.

Again, I have faith in Tony Romo to connect when we need it; he did it late in the game to get the team within a FG of a win. If they were behind by 2-3scores, Ok, but a lead was never that far out of reach.

New nicknames for Barber & Jones Bread and Butter! :)

You nailed it. We cannot panic every time we're down by 3 points. Washington played their arses off. It was the best they can do, so hat's off to 'em. But we can't lose our heads every time things aren't going our way. It's called making adjustments DURING the game. Garrett is still learning, but he has done this twice already. I hope it sinks in soon that running is an important part of the game because we have the horses to mix in some running plays for 4 quarters.

As far as Bread and Butter - now I'm hungry.:mad: