DMN Blog: Tony Romo needs to trust Roy Williams

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2:58 PM Mon, Dec 22, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

One touchdown catch in nine games wasn't exactly what Jerry Jones expected when he traded for Roy Williams and guaranteed the WR a fortune.

Wade Phillips said the Cowboys have to put Williams in position to make plays. A big part of that is the gunslinger looking his way.

"I think we do need to get comfortable with him, being able to throw it to him on a 5-9 cornerback," Phillips said. "I mean, that's hard to do because you look over there and see that he's covered but he's not covered. He can go up and get it. I don't think we've come to that point. We haven't had that feel yet. But I think we will as we go along or certainly next year."

There is the built-in excuse that Tony Romo hasn't had much practice time with Williams.

"That's usually the case," Phillips said when asked whether the comfort level between QB and WR would significantly improve after a training camp together. "But we're going to try to utilize him. We certainly saw the best of him in the Tampa game when we threw it to him before the half for a touchdown. That was a big, big play for us in our season. He can make plays for us. We've just got to utilize him."

Comments (18) Leave comment | E-mail entry

Nexx

Reaction score
i would like to be the first to say, NO S Sherlock!

Reaction score
Romo is going to T.O. way too much... Roy Williams has the best set of hands on the team, just throw it up to him!

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Nail on head. Maybe it takes a full offseason, but I just don't see why. Tony needs to get over what it is that's preventing him from throwing to him. He probably has the best hands on the team.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crayton, actually, is the guy I'd like to see more involved. He should be good for 3-4 drive-sustaining catches/game. I'd also like to see us use some of those extra downs to go deep to Roy, TO, and Austin at least 3-4 times/game. Connecting on those big plays is what made us so tough to stop last year. We're getting killed this year b/c we can't sustain drives for whatever reason.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2519219 said:
2:58 PM Mon, Dec 22, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

One touchdown catch in nine games wasn't exactly what Jerry Jones expected when he traded for Roy Williams and guaranteed the WR a fortune.

Wade Phillips said the Cowboys have to put Williams in position to make plays. A big part of that is the gunslinger looking his way.

"I think we do need to get comfortable with him, being able to throw it to him on a 5-9 cornerback," Phillips said. "I mean, that's hard to do because you look over there and see that he's covered but he's not covered. He can go up and get it. I don't think we've come to that point. We haven't had that feel yet. But I think we will as we go along or certainly next year."

There is the built-in excuse that Tony Romo hasn't had much practice time with Williams.

"That's usually the case," Phillips said when asked whether the comfort level between QB and WR would significantly improve after a training camp together. "But we're going to try to utilize him. We certainly saw the best of him in the Tampa game when we threw it to him before the half for a touchdown. That was a big, big play for us in our season. He can make plays for us. We've just got to utilize him."

Comments (18) Leave comment | E-mail entry

Tony isn't comfortable throwing to Roy Williams who has been on the same field with him for nearly two months, but he has no problem throwing to Ed Reed who he was on the field with for just a few hours......

Give me a break, throw Roy the ball, whats the worst that can happen? An int?

Aven8

Reaction score
He had no problem throwing to Fitzgerald last year in the pro bowl.

I never thought Romo would care who's out there. He's starting to act like Aikman!

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Idgit;2519271 said:
Crayton, actually, is the guy I'd like to see more involved. He should be good for 3-4 drive-sustaining catches/game. I'd also like to see us use some of those extra downs to go deep to Roy, TO, and Austin at least 3-4 times/game. Connecting on those big plays is what made us so tough to stop last year. We're getting killed this year b/c we can't sustain drives for whatever reason.
It seems to me -- and this is just 100% pure gut feeling/observation -- that Tony's lost confidence in Patrick after he's had some critical drops. Before Austin got hurt last, he seemed to be taking over that 3rd down reliable escape valve role. And he's had a couple of those sense he's been back from this last injury.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Where's the evidence that he's even getting open? Would Tony ignore an open receiver? Doubtful.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
And when the pass is picked off, it's going to be all Romo's fault for not making better decisions and throwing to a covered guy.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2519294 said:
And when the pass is picked off, it's going to be all Romo's fault for not making better decisions and throwing to a covered guy.

I'd take my chances, Williams one on one, vs. TO double and triple coverage.

It seems like everytime Romo throws an int, you see 4 guys in the tv frame, TO and 3 players from the other team.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
EveryoneElse;2519300 said:
I'd take my chances, Williams one on one, vs. TO double and triple coverage.

It seems like everytime Romo throws an int, you see 4 guys in the tv frame, TO and 3 players from the other team.

Actually, he threw that back shoulder fade to TO one on one man against Pittsburgh and the CB turned around because TO didn't sell it ... Romo got blamed for that one too.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Romo has missed some open receivers, especially at Pittsburgh.

The fact the Roy Williams isn't getting the football is a joke.

John Kitna got it to him.

He better start throwing him the ball, or he may be going home next week.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
bbgun;2519290 said:
Where's the evidence that he's even getting open? Would Tony ignore an open receiver? Doubtful.

He's not getting open. He's severely limited with the plantar fascia and can't get seperation.

But Romo is just supposed to throw it to him when he's covered and pray the CB doesn't see it because we want to see what our shiny new toy that Jerry overpaid for can do. It will help us feel better when April rolls around.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
For a split second Saturday, it looked like Michael Irvin was back on the field on the third and three where Williams snatched the ball and ran around the defender for the first down. He is similarly built like Irvin.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
bbgun;2519290 said:
He does quite often lately, unfortunately.

reddyuta

Reaction score
RW has the best pair of hands on the team-he will catch it or at least make sure it doesnt end up being a INT unlike a certain someone.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2519294 said:

Funny, Parcells always said that he should throw it to Keyshawn even when he's covered -- exactly this same way.