DMN: Blog: Trench matchup to watch: Marc Colombo vs. Aaron Kampman

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Trench matchup to watch: Marc Colombo vs. Aaron Kampman

6:05 PM Thu, Sep 18, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon

We'll take a break from hyping the T.O.-Al Harris duel to dig down into the trenches.

Packers left DE Aaron Kampman (6-4, 265) leads the NFL in sacks since the start of the 2006 season with 30, .5 more than Shawne Merriman and 2.5 more than DeMarcus Ware. Cowboys RT Marc Colombo (6-8, 318) is an under-appreciated player in a contract year.

Colombo's gutsy performance against the Packers played a significant role in last season's win at Texas Stadium. He had to come out a play after injuring his ankle in the first half, and he still held Kampman without a sack while Tony Romo threw for 309 yards and four TDs.

Colombo did have two false starts, but hey, the dude was battling a Pro Bowler with a bad wheel. And the Cowboys gave him very little help, freeing Jason Witten to have six second-half catches for 67 yards.

Kampman wasn't a factor against the run, either. He had three tackles -- one on a Romo bootleg and another on a 37-yard passing play -- and Marion "The Barbarian" Barber rushed for 81 yards on 17 carries.

Can Colombo handle Kampman again? We'll find out Sunday night, and a whole bunch of screaming Cheeseheads will be on Kampman's side.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Keep hitting him Marc until he calls you his "Daddy"..:)

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
We better take care of our own Cowboys this offseason. I want to see Marc Columbo retire a Cowboy.

I think the man wants to be here and he has proven to be very above average RT.

Git'r done JJ.

MONT17

Reaction score
Since the boys can't develop olmen on a consistant basis I'm willing to bet jerry resigns columbo during the bye week.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
MONT17;2269838 said:
Since the boys can't develop olmen on a consistant basis I'm willing to bet jerry resigns columbo during the bye week.

With Hudson Houck on board....I would bet OL development will vastly improved......

I would like to see Marc resigned.....I love his attitude.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Dallas;2269830 said:
We better take care of our own Cowboys this offseason. I want to see Marc Columbo retire a Cowboy.

I think the man wants to be here and he has proven to be very above average RT.

Git'r done JJ.

me to he's been so good for us.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Marc colombo is quickly becoming one of my favourite players. The guy is a straight up bad ***.

sago1

Reaction score
The only problem is that Colombo is 30. Do we want to continue to pay out big bucks to him. Don't get me wrong. I love Colombo's attitude & protection of any Cowboy player opponents come after. Still remember him knocking out a player on the other side cause he thought the guy was going to jump on the pile where one of our guys laid.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I really believe.....if we watch the penalties......it is a easy win for us

sbark

Reaction score
be a good thread and good time for someone to dig out the mini-vid gif. of the Columbo punking of D.Hall.....

its a classic........

resign the guy....he a Young"30" with a Sons of Anarchy attitude.....

ddh33

Reaction score
I really like Colombo. I think he brings a nastiness to this line that is so important, and he's just a really good player too. I keep wondering how much longer he's going to be around here though? Unforutnately, my hunch is that he is a Dolphin next year at this team...

I keep wondering though, with some of the versatility on this line, if Dallas made the move for Holland with the idea of him being a future starter? He could potentially allow a guy like Leonard Davis to move out to RT if the young guys didn't step up and Colombo did leave.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2269988 said:
I really believe.....if we watch the penalties......it is a easy win for us

How is it going to be easy CC? It's a road game where the Cowboys have yet to win... Nothing will be easy for Dallas this season IMO. Watching the penalties is a must however, I agree there.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
we have some folks to resign this year, Canty, Tank..etc but I really hope we resign Colombo. He is big, nasty and just goes out and does his job. Every team needs players like that.