DMN Blog: Troy Aikman: Cowboys will still miss playoffs

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
12:10 AM Thu, Dec 18, 2008 | Permalink
Barry Horn E-mail News tips

I was off-duty last night when I found this note in my inbox from the Fox folks. They said he said this so I'll share it with you. (Where were these people when I had to write term papers in college almost four decades ago?)

Said Aikman: "I think the Cowboys have some problems going on but I just don't know to what level. Maybe winning a game like they were able to last Sunday night helps them. Maybe the win unites them and the episodes last week were a flushing of some ill will. They bounce back again this week on Saturday night against another good opponent that needs a win themselves in Baltimore.

"Before the game last Sunday against the Giants I was on record as saying 'I don't think the Cowboys make the playoffs,' I'm still willing to stick with that but if they beat Baltimore there's a chance that their last game against the Eagles may not mean anything."

And he also had this to say about the blitzing Cowboys media:

"I think the excessive media coverage does hurt (the Cowboys) on the field," Aikman said."This is where even going back to when I played for the Cowboys that Jerry Jones and I would disagree.

"Jerry has a different philosophy and a different thought process as far as what ultimately allows a team to have a success and what it takes to have success within a team. I'm very much old school in my approach. I look at teams that have had great success over the years and believe you have to have some talent but I think team chemistry is extremely important. I don't know that Jerry Jones places a lot of importance on that."

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cmacch;2503539 said:
Troy Aikman will eat crow.

I think he has enough money that he can eat something better.:p: ;)

Perhaps he might Rue the Day instead.:D

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
That's weird, I could swear he said on his Ticket show this morning that he felt much better about us making it. He said he thought it turned on the Baltimore game -- that if we lose that, we don't go. But it sounded like he expected us to win.

silver

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2503535 said:
but if they beat Baltimore there's a chance that their last game against the Eagles may not mean anything.

that's all I read.

ndanger

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2503551 said:
I think he has enough money that he can eat something better.:p: ;)

Perhaps he might Rue the Day instead.:D

No amount of money can take away rueing the day. I was just this morning telling my wife that at breakfast.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2503535 said:
"Jerry has a different philosophy and a different thought process as far as what ultimately allows a team to have a success and what it takes to have success within a team. I'm very much old school in my approach. I look at teams that have had great success over the years and believe you have to have some talent but I think team chemistry is extremely important. I don't know that Jerry Jones places a lot of importance on that."

I side with Troy on this.

STSINAZ

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2503554 said:
That's weird, I could swear he said on his Ticket show this morning that he felt much better about us making it. He said he thought it turned on the Baltimore game -- that if we lose that, we don't go. But it sounded like he expected us to win.

We are going to win out

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
If not for the Pitt loss. Romo and Cowboys would be on a 5 game winning streak since he came back. Its the NFL that aint easy to do.

A defense that has only given up a few REAL TD's(and a few garbage time ones) in that 5 game span.

I dont think Troy believes that. I just think he is doing what Strahan did in beginning of season by picking Cowboys.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score

yep. last week I saw a piece on cbs 11 from the college football hall of fame dinner where aikman said he didnt think we had a chance at the playoffs.

From no chance to yes they will make it!!

that is why being an analyst and constantly being asked questions about the future is an impossible job.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Troy will be proven wrong when Dallas closes out the stadium in style and the way it should be. With a big, much needed, W.

OldButDeadly

Bill's Waterboy
Reaction score

LAB you are correct....Craig asked him if his mind had changed since the Giants win and he felt better about their chances....

Kev

Givincer

Reaction score
theebs;2503604 said:
yep. last week I saw a piece on cbs 11 from the college football hall of fame dinner where aikman said he didnt think we had a chance at the playoffs.

From no chance to yes they will make it!!

that is why being an analyst and constantly being asked questions about the future is an impossible job.

Being consistent in your beliefs is an impossible job?

Sounds like an easy one to me! :laugh2:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He said this on mike&MIKE yesterday. I actually heard this inteview live. When he said that he was on record, he said it in such a way as if to say, after the Pitt loss, he was pretty sure that we were out. However, after the game against the Gmen, he would still stick by what he had already said but I think it was obvious, at least to me, that he did believe we had a chance to make the playoffs.

Now, that's my take on the interview so judge for yourself but Troy has never been a guy who is against the Cowboys IMO. It's very clear that he may have issues with some of the things we do or don't do but he's a Cowboy 100% IMO. He has to be objective in his job but he's a Cowboy.

Thomas82

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2503535 said:
12:10 AM Thu, Dec 18, 2008 | Permalink
Barry Horn E-mail News tips

I was off-duty last night when I found this note in my inbox from the Fox folks. They said he said this so I'll share it with you. (Where were these people when I had to write term papers in college almost four decades ago?)

Said Aikman: "I think the Cowboys have some problems going on but I just don't know to what level. Maybe winning a game like they were able to last Sunday night helps them. Maybe the win unites them and the episodes last week were a flushing of some ill will. They bounce back again this week on Saturday night against another good opponent that needs a win themselves in Baltimore.

"Before the game last Sunday against the Giants I was on record as saying 'I don't think the Cowboys make the playoffs,' I'm still willing to stick with that but if they beat Baltimore there's a chance that their last game against the Eagles may not mean anything."

And he also had this to say about the blitzing Cowboys media:

"I think the excessive media coverage does hurt (the Cowboys) on the field," Aikman said."This is where even going back to when I played for the Cowboys that Jerry Jones and I would disagree.

If I didn't know better, I would have thought this was a transcript from his conversation with Mike & Mike yesterday.