DMN Blog: Troy Aikman on Tony Romo and Ben Roethlisberger

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Troy Aikman on Tony Romo and Ben Roethlisberger

11:30 AM Wed, Dec 03, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Barry Horn http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

Digging for a Saturday Hot Air Column, I called Troy Aikman this morning to talk about the opposing quarterbacks in Sunday's Cowboys-Steelers game. Aikman will work the game for Fox with Joe Buck.

By the way, Aikman agrees with me that it will be the most-watched game of the season to date. But once again this morning, I digress.

I asked Aikman which one of the R&R boys he would rather have as his quarterback.

"Let's just say that there are not many guys I would take over Tony Romo," he said. "I think I know a little about playing the position and I think Tony is a special player. Few quarterbacks make it look as easy as he does...

"In the San Francisco game he 7 pumps to Terrell Owens. He sidesteps a rusher who sacks most any other quarterback and throws a 75-yard TD pass to give the Cowboys their first touchdown and the lead. That was special but taken for granted with Tony."

(Personal aside: 7 pumps? Does Romo have a future as a Starbucks barista is this qb thing doesn't work out?)

And what about Roethlisberger?

"I think Ben is a great fit for that team, a great fit for a great football city. He has a Super Bowl ring. He is a tough guy."

So what Aikman is saying is that he would rather have Romo, right?

"I said there are not many guys I'd take over Tony Romo," Aikman repeated.

He said he didn't feel really comfortable designating a No. 1 the week before the game. Just as he won't pick a winner in a game he is about to work, he wouldn't play my game.

We could have gone round and round on this, but I knew I wasn't going to get him to say who he'd take. Maybe I'll call him back after the game and get a more definitive answer.

If you want it sooner, tune into The Ticket's Dunham & Miller on Thursday morning around 8. If it comes up, they'll get him to make a clear cut pick on his weekly segment. They always get great answers from him. Sigh.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Nice to hear aikman say that.

From this week on we all know what we are going to hear about romo, so it is nice to hear some honesty about the guy.

Because with pittsburghs dopey media, NY's ridiculous media and philly's we are serious and tough media....we are going to get constant jessica, fumbled snaps and cant win a playoff game talk.

its nice to see someone give him his due. he never gets enough credit. Even goofy mike irvin was blaming him for owens not getting the ball enough in arizona and against washington an saying that is why we lost.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's nice to read that he told someone that. But we will never, or will rarely hear him say that during a live game on National TV.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jazzcat22;2459263 said:
It's nice to read that he told someone that. But we will never, or will rarely hear him say that during a live game on National TV.
Probably not, jazz, but he's said it quite alot since Romo became the starter. He might as well be a Romosexual.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2459264 said:
Probably not, jazz, but he's said it quite alot since Romo became the starter. He might as well be a Romosexual.

Great now Skip has ammunition...troy was a homo and romo sexual. :p:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Aikman has been a fan from long ago and I do believe he advised Jerry about Tony before he ever started. Is that correct?

bigE79

Reaction score
There is no way in hell i would take any QB playing right now over ROMO and i hate when people say well BEN has a SB WIN,so what,he played like a bum in that game and anyone with eyes could see that...he was not the reason they won,but we all know what was.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Note to Hord: it doesn't look good for you as a sports writer if you consider '7-pump' to be confusing jargon.

DarylJohnston

Reaction score
jobberone;2459293 said:
Aikman has been a fan from long ago and I do believe he advised Jerry about Tony before he ever started. Is that correct?

I never heard that. I know Sean Payton was a Romo fan. I also know the Cowboys were lucky to get Romo and keep Romo - they almost lost him 3 times.

If Romo took more money he's in Denver. If Quincy didn't get into drugs Romo would have been cut. If Payton and the Saints had offered a 2nd round pick Romo would've been gone.

But I do believe Aikman is a fan but he goes out of his way to look impartial.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Da Hammer;2459365 said:
Big Ben most overrated QB in the NFL.

I don't think he's overrated. I agree w/ Aikman. He fits that system well which in turn has to make him a good QB. I don't think I've seen a game where he's lost it single-handedly, from day one. He was thrust into the position as a rook and has done well. JMO, of course..........

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
jazzcat22;2459263 said:

I always hear Troy say nice things about Romo

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
DarylJohnston;2459811 said:
I never heard that. I know Sean Payton was a Romo fan. I also know the Cowboys were lucky to get Romo and keep Romo - they almost lost him 3 times.

If Romo took more money he's in Denver. If Quincy didn't get into drugs Romo would have been cut. If Payton and the Saints had offered a 2nd round pick Romo would've been gone.

But I do believe Aikman is a fan but he goes out of his way to look impartial.

I'm not sure Romo was going anywhere. I think Parcells knew what he had in Romo even when Henson was making the start on Thanksgiving day. He was like Parcell's hidden pet project. One thing, among many others, we should be grateful to him for.