WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wade Phillips points finger for special teams problems at players
2:44 PM Mon, Oct 13, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Don't expect Wade Phillips to hop on the Fire Bruce Read bandwagon that some Cowboys fans are driving.

Phillips acknowledges that the Cowboys' special teams were atrocious in the Sunday's loss to the Cardinals, which opened with a kickoff return for a TD and closed with a blocked punt for a TD. But he blamed the players, not special teams coach Bruce Read.

Phillips, as usual, didn't call out players by name. But he mentioned that the Cowboys altered their practice schedule last week to focus more on special teams, and the execution was still awful.

His take on the kickoff return: "The week before we had problems because the outside guy didn't crease inside. He creased inside like he was supposed to, but we didn't fill outside like we were supposed to, like we worked on every damn play in practice we worked on that and it didn't happen, so we have to get that done."

His take on the punt block: "The punt block was just inexplicable to me. I mean, you always block the same guy every time, and don't even touch him, so. There is basically no way you can block our punt with the get off time that we have if you just get in the way of anybody. The guy that picked up the ball that scored the touchdown, we jammed him a little bit and he had no chance of blocking the punt. The guy that blocked it went straight to the punter without being touched. That can't happen, but it did, so. It's very disappointing. When you have the same blocking rules every single play and you have that guy every play and he runs in there and blocks it, it's disappointing."

Comments (6) Leave comment | E-mail entry

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Of course.....but I'm confused during the preseason the ST problems was because we had injuries and Keith Davis was supposed to come back and everything....

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Yeah I was listening to this and I have to admit it made me smile. It's not much but at least it appeared that he was aggrivated with the mistakes the players made there.

he also didn't need to call out, by name, the guy on the punt block situation cause if you watch them line up for punts you know who he's talking about anyway.

FCBarca

Reaction score
I think any hope that Wade was going to come out and roast Reed let alone any of the coaching staff is premature...As we all know by now, this is NOT a coaching problem...Or, at least that's what we keep hearing

ddh33

Reaction score
I have to agree with Wade on this. You can want a coach's head, but a player still has to touch someone anyway, right?

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
I heard earlier on a radio program, that what Wade needs to do is cut the culprit who keeps making the same mistakes to send a message.

I don't realy think they would cut a former first round pick.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I was too depressed to re-watch the punt. Who screwed that one up?

superpunk

Reaction score
Is that fire and finger pointing from Wade?

I'm at about half mast here.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
It's time to start calling out names. Embarassment is a very strong motivator.

cowboyz

Reaction score
they got his press conference on fox sports right now.

he said they had a meeting this morning and they know what's going on.

he's pretty animated right now. for him at least.

btcutter

Reaction score
ddh33;2334825 said:
I have to agree with Wade on this. You can want a coach's head, but a player still has to touch someone anyway, right?

Yes players need to make plays. But like he said. It was aweful in practice and Read can't correct the repeated mistakes in practice then he should be fired.

nflandbooze

Reaction score
ST problems have existed since Parcells left. To me, it seems like Wade promises we're going to fix them every other week. I'm not going to hold my breath this time.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2334980 said:
No ****?

I guess that's not too surprising. Way to go geniuses on the Fasano trade.

IdK if this is sarcasm or what but....we should cut Curtis.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Way to man up, Wade.

If coaches aren't responsible for what transpires on the field, then no coach would ever be fired.

notherbob

Reaction score
Maybe they need to practice Special Teams until 7:pM every night until they get better? Maybe players who are screwing up need to be pointed out to their teammates and called out for it. Maybe somebody needs to be embarrassed. Maybe if they have to stay later than they want, some of the players might start coming down on the malingerers.

Maybe I ought to be doing something else, this isn't my problem to solve.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2335038 said:
IdK if this is sarcasm or what but....we should cut Curtis.
I'm inclined to agree. And it's not like it's just this one play.

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
The problem is Bruce Read trust me. This guy was Fassel's ST coach in NY and the Giants ST's were a mess under Fassel.

Anyone remember that game in NY when QC hit AB and allowed Cundiff to kick that game tying FG. Well, they squibbed left with about 10 second left and it went out of bounds. Read has always been a bad coach I knew it was trouble once we brought him in.