DMN Blog: Wade Phillips points finger for special teams problems at players

rangers71

Reaction score
bbgun;2335068 said:
Way to man up, Wade.

If coaches aren't responsible for what transpires on the field, then no coach would ever be fired.

So do you really feel like it is Wade's fault that Curtis didn't block a soul? I guess maybe Wade has been coaching Curtis on who to block on every third down all year long so he would know who to block in case they didn't get the first. I guess he forgot yesterday in overtime to Coach Curtis up on punt block. What a moron.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
If you go over it time after time in practice and they still don't get it right in game day, then to me this comes down to basic psychology ... specifically incentive and reinforcement.

Maybe its some time to add some real incentive on the players to get it right ... like, say, their job.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
rangers71;2335480 said:
So do you really feel like it is Wade's fault that Curtis didn't block a soul? I guess maybe Wade has been coaching Curtis on who to block on every third down all year long so he would know who to block in case they didn't get the first. I guess he forgot yesterday in overtime to Coach Curtis up on punt block. What a moron.

He's either the head coach or he isn't. The buck stops with him or it doesn't. By your standard, Dave Campo would still be the head coach around here. After all, he didn't screw up on the field. His players did.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
rangers71;2335480 said:

Wade has always blamed himself for penalties and everything else, and people like bb jump on him for not holding players accountable. Then MacMahon writes a headline saying that that Wade "points the finger" (which he didn't really do, but what do you expect from MacMahon) and bb jumps on him for not taking the blame.

So with some people, it's always a lose-lose situation.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
you can definitely blame the player's on the KO TD

noone tried to get down there to attempt to bust the wedge

and the 1st guy down there froze

rangers71

Reaction score
bbgun;2335507 said:
He's either the head coach or he isn't. The buck stops with him or it doesn't. By your standard, Dave Campo would still be the head coach around here. After all, he didn't screw up on the field. His players did.

Yeah and by your standards there would be no head coach in any sport anywhere because as soon as they lose a game they need to be fired. You need to get a clue.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
As usual, it comes down to these players not being held accountable for their actions. This team is as soft as it's HC. If they practiced and practiced ST coverage and the player still didn't do what he is supposed to do, #1, why is that player still on the team, and #2, why is that player not motivated to do his job?

Mr.davon24

PGH Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2334975 said:
Tony Curtis.

Please don't tell me this guy fudged up twice..... Oddly enough I didn't catch the first play ( KR ) or the 2nd ( punt block). :banghead: