DMN Blog: Wade Phillips won't be fired (this week)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
4:07 PM Sun, Oct 19, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Jerry Jones isn't getting itchy with his trigger finger when it comes to his head coach despite three losses in four games. Jerry made that clear in a somber Cowboys locker room, even managing to make a joke about canning coaches after Super Bowl wins.

"I think there can be a change in effort, intensity, those kind of things on each individual basis," Jerry said after the 34-14 loss to the Rams. "But I'm not talking about the kind of change with coach or coaches or philosophy or some of the stuff we're doing scheme-wise generally.

"But it certainly for me sobers me up more than at any point this year about the job we've got to do to get a good team, hopefully a healthier team, to get in the position where we can compete at the end of the year. This is not the same feeling that I had with our other two losses."

Phillips didn't try to pump any sunshine about winning the fourth quarter, and he didn't make any whiny excuses. He accurately called this the Cowboys' worst performance of his tenure.

"There certainly aren't any positives right now," Phillips said. "I think the only positive is that we've got nine more games to get it turned around. We certainly didn't look like the kind of team that's going to get it turned around today."

There will be fans who want a knee-jerk firing, even though Jason Garrett hasn't exactly done anything recently to indicate that the Cowboys would be better off as the interim coach. Jerry doesn't have the desire to make such a drastic move, much less the energy.

"I've had all the fire knocked out of my butt tonight," Jerry said. "That doesn't mean it's gone for good."

Wade will be the coach next week. That doesn't mean he's at the helm for good.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder if we lose either of the next two games if Wade might not be fired going into the bye week, like with the Rams situation.

I'm not saying it should, or shouldn't happen, I'm just saying I'm starting to wonder if it might happen.

EastDallasCowboy

Reaction score
The expression on his face during the post-game press conference was that of a coach who knows his job is in peril.

FCBarca

Reaction score
I was giving this advice recently to a friend contemplating ending a relationship with his girlfriend...I kept saying "What more do you want to happen before you finally say 'Ok, NOW it's time to end it' "...Not sure what more has to happen in order for it to be 'time to call it quits'

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
during his post game interview (Jerry) wouldnt answer straight questions about Wade getting fired...he danced around it..........so i wouldnt count it out just yet

bounce

Reaction score
We have a bye week coming up - they'll probably fire him after the week 9 game and give Garrett two weeks to prep.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Jerry also said we would not be trading for a WR

Woods

Reaction score
If Wade doesn't get this thing turned around by the Bye Week, it's over for him, IMO.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
Fine. Wade stays. Dallas will be a deservedly underdog in every game from here on out.

If Wade had the ability to motivate this team, it would have occurred after Washington.

Congrats, Jerry.

utrunner07

Reaction score
braw;2354658 said:
How in the hell is this a personnel problem.

Oh did you miss the game today? Carpenter, Stanbech, Flozell's shinny new contract looks nice, what a great O line we have, please tell me who hired our 2cndry coach? oh and the oline coach, i could go on...I wont.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2354584 said:
There will be fans who want a knee-jerk firing, even though Jason Garrett hasn't exactly done anything recently to indicate that the Cowboys would be better off as the interim coach. Jerry doesn't have the desire to make such a drastic move, much less the energy.

Believe me, it's not knee-jerk.

Although he is right about Garrett, he isn't ready. In fact, he isn't really ready to be an OC.

Some staff you put together there, Jerry.

Deep_South

Reaction score
I would like to see Stewart go. This team used to at least be able to stop the run.