DMN Blog: WR Roy Williams: 'We're winning. Winning cures all.'

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
WR Roy Williams: 'We're winning. Winning cures all.'

8:51 PM Thu, Nov 27, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Brian Davis E-mail News tips

Receiver Roy Williams had two catches for 51 yards against the Seahawks, but he's not going to campaign for more. Williams said he feels like he's a part of the offense. But as for quarterback Tony Romo, "The gunslinger ain't throwing it my way."

Williams has just 11 catches since being traded to the Cowboys on Oct. 14. He's talked numerous times about simply waiting for his opportunity. But he's on pace to have his worst season as a pro.

Learning the playbook isn't the issue. "I done swallowed that thing whole," he said.

As for why he won't complain, Williams said, "We're winning. Winning cures all."

Walter Jones admits getting whupped by DeMarcus Ware

8:28 PM Thu, Nov 27, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

DeMarcus Ware rarely gets one-on-one matchups as a pass rusher. Seattle never gives eight-time Pro Bowl LT Walter Jones help.

Well, Jones needed help today. Ware leads the NFL in sacks with 15 after today's hat trick. He beat Jones on two of his three sacks.

While Ware downplayed his dominance in the matchup of perennial Pro Bowlers, Jones readily admitted that Ware whupped him.

"It's a shock," Jones said. "It's a shock. But it's the game of football. You go out there, you don't want to give up sacks and stuff. But you have to move on. You can't harp on that. You can't focus long on that situation. It happened. You can't get down."

Tony Romo's splint is coming off, but Cowboys' passing game is already clicking

8:02 PM Thu, Nov 27, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz

Wade Phillips showed his wry sense of humor with a real knee-slapper during his postgame press conference.

"We'll get that splint off, and he might throw for 300 yards," Phillips said of Tony Romo. "Oh, he did."

OK, you're not laughing. Neither will foes who have to prepare for what is once again an elite passing game.

Romo was razor sharp in his second consecutive 300-yard game, completing 22 of 34 passes for 331 yards and three TDs with one pick in what should be his final outing with a splint protecting his right pinkie finger. He spread the ball around to his various weapons, throwing TDs to three receivers and hitting Roy Williams on another deep ball.

A week after T.O. torched the 49ers, it was Jason Witten's turn to play the lead role (nine catches, 115 yards, TD). T.O. had five catches -- including a spectacular, juggling grab on the sideline -- for 98 yards and a TD in a supporting role. Don't expect to wait too long for Williams to have a big day.

"We really haven't changed what we're doing," Witten said. "I think we're just executing better. When that happens, I think you see, we're pretty tough. When we execute, we're good as anybody else in the league."

Now, they have 10 days to prepare for a much more difficult test. The league's top-ranked passing and total defense will be waiting for the Cowboys in Pittsburgh.

Cowboys flap wings to avoid 'fines'

7:55 PM Thu, Nov 27, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz

You probably noticed that the Cowboys celebrated each of their seven sacks (team's most since Nov. 9, 1997 vs. Arizona) with a variation of the Funky Chicken dance. Of course, they went with the Thanksgiving theme and called it the Turkey Dance.

The idea hatched when Jason Hatcher and some of the other defensive linemen were throwing the ball around before a practice. Hatcher celebrated a catch by busting out his Billy "White Shoes" Johnson impersonation, and the pass-rushers all agreed to do the dance when celebrating against the Seahawks.

DeMarcus Ware flapped his wings three times, but he humbly danced around a question about him whupping all-world LT Walter Jones. (Ware came from the other side on one of the three sacks, but still ... )

Even Greg Ellis, a rather conservative gentleman, got in on the act after sack. He flapped his wings three times, just to keep his teammates from coming after him.

"I had to do it a little bit, because they said if you didn't do it, you were going to get fined," Ellis said. "Didn't want to get fined by the guys, so I did it a little bit and just left it alone."

(Memo to uptight NFL office: Ellis mentioned that the Cowboys didn't plan to violate rules by fining real money.)

Boysboy

Reaction score
ajk23az;2448677 said:
WR Roy Williams: 'We're winning. Winning cures all.'

8:51 PM Thu, Nov 27, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Brian Davis E-mail News tips

Receiver Roy Williams had two catches for 51 yards against the Seahawks, but he's not going to campaign for more. Williams said he feels like he's a part of the offense. But as for quarterback Tony Romo, "The gunslinger ain't throwing it my way."

Williams has just 11 catches since being traded to the Cowboys on Oct. 14. He's talked numerous times about simply waiting for his opportunity. But he's on pace to have his worst season as a pro.

Learning the playbook isn't the issue. "I done swallowed that thing whole," he said.

As for why he won't complain, Williams said, "We're winning. Winning cures all."

So now we have another WR complaining about not getting the ball enough?:rolleyes:

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I guess we could have WRs who don't care about getting the ball, just want to collect a paycheque, I prefer the ones we have who actually want the ball.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
I don't have a problem when guys grumble for the ball. Heck, Roy isn't even grumbling here. He's specifically saying he's not, obviously, to a pointed question concerning whether he wants to grumble. To me, it's all a matter of how you go about doing it. I typically dislike TO's approach, but even his whining two weeks ago was tame compared to his past history.

With that said, I would imagine Romo will continue to get Roy more involved as the season progresses and he develops a trust with him. Romo is a quarterback that develops favorites (Witten, TO) and I bet it's hard for a new guy to bust in and just have his trust right out of the gate. He's such a rhythm guy, he's just not going to have that trust for Roy yet.

But my God, I love what Roy brings to this team. You can just see when he and Romo know each other well, this passing attack will be sick.

rojan

Reaction score
I even saw Thomas do 1 flap when he stuffed the run near the goal line.

T-NMan-41

Reaction score
:helmet2:

Hey
I thought it was a cute version of the Atlanta "dirty Bird" which I couldn't stand as well as that Clown Merton Hanks of the 40 WHINERS( I actually met him and he is so small and frail I could have snapped him in two )who did that ******** duck dance. Thanksgiving OK but don't go any further with it. Continue to wreak havoc in the opposing teams backfield but move on to a new dance...............................................

T-NMan-41

Reaction score
:star:

I just watched the game again as I record all Dallas Cowboys games, and Romo was a little off, and in................ the 2nd quarter he missed some throws and I was slightly concerned that the O line was a little erratic . But when Roy Williams and Romo Get it together you will see that our offense will be unstoppable.................

Nexx

Reaction score
T-NMan-41;2448707 said:
:star:

I just watched the game again as I record all Dallas Cowboys games, and Romo was a little off, and in................ the 2nd quarter he missed some throws and I was slightly concerned that the O line was a little erratic . But when Roy Williams and Romo Get it together you will see that our offense will be unstoppable.................

nice job mr offtopic

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Too much focus on these WR stories... the reporters are digging.

So.. after a loss the reporters are gonna run with "winning cures everything" - so how about after a loss??

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
YoMick;2448951 said:
Too much focus on these WR stories... the reporters are digging.

So.. after a loss the reporters are gonna run with "winning cures everything" - so how about after a loss??

I agree...this is getting to be stupid. Find me the WR that is worth a damn and who doesn't want the football???? Ridiculous.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Oh_Canada;2448956 said:
I agree...this is getting to be stupid. Find me the WR that is worth a damn and who doesn't want the football???? Ridiculous.

Yep. Its a fracken setup I tell ya.:banghead:

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
To many weapons on this team to make them all happy. It's a good thing.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Given the alternative, I'm sure Roy would rather have a drop in catches to be on a winning team.

Lets see......

Way lesser role at 8-4

or

Main role at 0-12

Tough choice there. The Lions are going to be winless. Its gonna happen.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
This is not a dig on Roy...
I must say... I am surprised....

Roy Williams WR has dropped a few passes...

No there werent perfect passes... but I was under the impression "throw it in my vicinity and I will catch it" was what he was...

Maybe its just a "getting to know my QB" time.

Hope it passes.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
YoMick;2449026 said:
This is not a dig on Roy...
I must say... I am surprised....

Roy Williams WR has dropped a few passes...

No there werent perfect passes... but I was under the impression "throw it in my vicinity and I will catch it" was what he was...

Maybe its just a "getting to know my QB" time.

Hope it passes.
I haven't seen Roy drop any easily catchable passes. He has had a few where maybe he could've made a great acrobatic catch, but didn't. Other than that, he has caught everything that has come his way.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
His big day is coming. With Witten and Owens reappearing as dominant players, teams will adjust and that will leave RW with more opportunities.

One of these upcoming games he is going to go off on some team. Might be Pittsburgh if we can pass protect. Their secondary can definitely be had.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Boysboy;2448681 said:
So now we have another WR complaining about not getting the ball enough?:rolleyes:

I'd question his desire if he didn't want the ball more.

I played RB once upon a time, and I complained when I didn't get the ball. The skill guys on offense wnat the ball. That's the way it is. It's the way it always has been and the way it always will be.

khiladi

Reaction score
Ah...

SO when TO complains, it is a bad thing..

RW on the other hand...

Let's see the justifications for RW coming...

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
khiladi;2449294 said:
Ah...

SO when TO complains, it is a bad thing..

RW on the other hand...

Let's see the justifications for RW coming...

RW didn't get the ball thrown to him 17 times... :rolleyes:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2449068 said:
I haven't seen Roy drop any easily catchable passes. He has had a few where maybe he could've made a great acrobatic catch, but didn't. Other than that, he has caught everything that has come his way.

Yeah like I said... not a complaint and they werent great catchable balls.

BUT... they were catchable for him. I remember 2 hitting him in one hand. I have seen him pull those in... so to me it looks like... given a little time he will bring all those in.