DMN Blog: Young WR Report: Sam Hurd sure is hungry

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
8:50 PM Fri, Jul 25, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

The young receivers on the roster didn't want to see Terry Glenn go. They like and respect the veteran receiver.

But they also recognize the opportunity in front of them.

Jerry Jones mentioned to possibility of impeding the progress of young receivers such as Sam Hurd, Miles Austin and Isaiah Stanback as one reason the Cowboys decided to waive Glenn. Pro Bowl TE Jason Witten pointed out that it's up to those guys to take advantage of the practice reps they'll get without Glenn on the roster.

You can practically hear Hurd's stomach growling.

"Let's eat, baby," Hurd said on his way to catch passes from a machine after practice. "All we do is talk about Terrell [Owens] carrying around a fork and I carry around a knife, talking about how we're going to eat all day. I've got to be sharp.

"Terrell is just eating, eating, eating, because he's been here and done his work and put his time in. He's going to keep eating with that fork. I've got to be sharp. That's what the knife is for. Just keep eating, man. ... When they call upon Sam, I'm going to be ready."

Hurd, who caught 19 passes for 314 yards and a TD as the No. 3 receiver last season, had an outstanding practice. The two highlights: Getting a few yards of separation from CB Adam Jones on an out route and blowing by Quincy Butler on a go route.

Austin didn't do anything spectacular today. But coaches raved all off-season about the speedy 6-3, 208-pounder's progress entering his third season.

Stanback, who basically redshirted as a rookie last season, is still early in the transition from college QB. He's significantly behind Hurd and Austin. Danny Amendola, the slot receiver from Texas Tech, made some impressive catches and one spectacular one today. He might join Hurd and Austin as undrafted receivers that stick on the Cowboys' roster.

But it's Hurd and Austin who the Cowboys are counting on to contribute this season. Those are the guys Jerry had in mind when he decided that letting Glenn go was in the team's best interests.

"I have a lot of confidence in them. I really do," Witten said. "I think Miles is a really huge weapon. He's got a lot of speed and can make the transition; there are few guys on this team that have the ability to shift and go like he can. And Sam has been clutch. He always makes that big play, whether it's on special teams [or offense]. It never seems like any situation is too big for Sam."

No opportunity, either.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Uh-Oh Sam hurd is speaking in the third person about himself.

By the way, thanks for posting all the blog updates WG.

I hope hurd doesnt get too full of himself like ol freddy mitchell.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theebs;2159293 said:

Nah, I don't he's getting full of himself. I'd be more concerned if he was timid. IIt's ok if guys come across as humble, but I don't mind the little cockiness and smack talking by these guys.

I think it's great to see more of these guys personality.

Bizwah

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2159308 said:
Nah, I don't he's getting full of himself. I'd be more concerned if he was timid. IIt's ok if guys come across as humble, but I don't mind the little cockiness and smack talking by these guys.

Confident, cocky WRs are a good thing.

Most great WRs are...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2159284 said:
But it's Hurd and Austin who the Cowboys are counting on to contribute this season. Those are the guys Jerry had in mind when he decided that letting Glenn go was in the team's best interests.
I'm sure that bone-on-bone bum knee didn't figure into that at all. ;)

ddh33

Reaction score
I actually think the young guys are up the challenge.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Let the scrub watch begin.

Pick one, anyone, flip a coin, maybe you will hit the lottery and pick the right name.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
theebs;2159293 said:

I don't think we have anything to worry about unitl he starts thanking God for his hands ;)

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
I love Terry Glenn, with all my heart. You gotta love a guy that gives his all for someone he likes.

That said, I'm puling for Hurd. The more I think about it, politics aside, the more I think the survival of the fittest mode kicking in and someone pretty good winning out.

/Friday Night Lights rant

Good luck, Hurd.

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2159308 said:

Gladiators! :)

tunahelper

Reaction score
Sam wasnt hungry in week 17 against Washington last year?

Injection of reality when remembering the camp HOFers.