DMN: Blog: Zach Thomas picked a good time to speak up

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Zach Thomas picked a good time to speak up

5:46 PM Mon,

LB Zach Thomas doesn't consider himself a vocal leader. He prefers to defer to guys on the defense like captains Bradie James, Greg Ellis and Ken Hamlin.

But Thomas felt like he had to say something last week, so he stood up in a defensive meeting and talked about changing the mindset and playing with enthusiasm. Wade Phillips mentioned that as a key moment during today's press conference.

"The guy is a seasoned vet, and he's definitely passionate about the game he plays," Hamlin said. "His message was heartfelt."

Thomas backed up his talk, too. After playing poorly against the Rams -- something he fessed up to immediately after the loss and lost sleep about during the week -- Thomas had a team-high 11 tackles while playing a major role in making Tampa Bay's offense one-dimensional in Sunday's win.

miamicowboy21

Reaction score
I know zach of all people wants to lead by example, but i thought he was the one would could get through to these guys. He was almost on a winless team last year so i know he isn't taking anything for granted. I'm glad he spoke up.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I was getting tired of Zach deferring to Bradie James and company

none of them are hall of famers, I don't give a crap if they've been here longer, Zach needs to be the leader of this D

HoosierCowboy

Put Pearson in the HOF
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2378988 said:
I was getting tired of Zach deferring to Bradie James and company

none of them are hall of famers, I don't give a crap if they've been here longer, Zach needs to be the leader of this D

it was time but when you are the new guy, it takes time to earn the right to speak up--now he IS the leader of the D

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
HoosierCowboy;2378998 said:
it was time but when you are the new guy, it takes time to earn the right to speak up--now he IS the leader of the D

it just seemed like Zach was content to just play and never step up as a vocal leader on this team

that was my impression of him at least

but whatever, I'm glad he finally did

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
Yep, B James may have been the defacto leader of the D for the last couple seasons, it was time for someone else to step up and not only talk the talk, but back it up.

I had my concerns (injury) about the Thomas signing, but never once questioned his heart and leadership qualities. This is beginning to look like a really good move on JJ's part.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm glad Zach spoke up. He needs to do that more often if for no other reason to remind the team he can here to win a super bowl.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2379001 said:
it just seemed like Zach was content to just play and never step up as a vocal leader on this team

that was my impression of him at least

but whatever, I'm glad he finally did

Zach will be more of a leader as time goes by. It's not that easy to just go into a team and starting mouthing off as a leader. Takes chemistry, time, results, etc. I am sure those who play sports in here know what I am talking about. Good to see he's starting to fit more in.

FCBarca

Reaction score
Great to hear but disappointing it came from one of the newest members of the Cowboys

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Cbz40;2378944 said:
After playing poorly against the Rams -- something he fessed up to immediately after the loss and lost sleep about during the week -- Thomas had a team-high 11 tackles while playing a major role in making Tampa Bay's offense one-dimensional in Sunday's win.

This is what I like to hear. Now, if only other players felt like him.

a.mart24

Reaction score
Anybody else worried about Zach Thomas taking on Brandon Jacobs during the game Sunday??

BigDinAZ

Reaction score
We need someone to rally the troops!! I'm glad he is showing his leadership.