DMN blogger sees through Garrett

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
How Jason Garrett’s relationship with Tony Romo could preserve Cowboys coach’s job
http://1.gravatar.com/avatar/d3211bbbfa93217ac1c6abde9f883345?s=52&d=http%3A%2F%2Fres.***BANNED-URL***%2Fresources%2Fimages%2FSD-logo-50.jpg%3Fs%3D52&r=G
By Rainer Sabin
rsabin@***BANNED-URL***
4:43 pm on June 5, 2014 | Permalink

-Snipped part about the offseason basketball tour -

If the Cowboys founder in 2014, Garrett could be a goner. But what may preserve his job is his relationship with Romo. Since the beginning of time, key figures have gravitated towards those with real power to build and maintain their own strength. Cardinal Richelieu in France. Rasputin in Russia. In the Cowboys’ organization, Romo is among the strongest figures by virtue of his contract. He’s paid the most and is here for the long haul.

Garrett knows that. He’s also aware his healthy rapport with Romo will be a selling point when owner Jerry Jones considers Garrett’s future with the club. Next season, Romo will be 35 and will have spent the previous eight seasons directing an offense principally designed by Garrett. As far as Romo is concerned, switching systems and introducing a new – and significant – variable wouldn’t be a comforting move at this advanced stage of his career. Keeping Garrett aboard would simply be more convenient for a quarterback who has directed only one other offense since he was elevated to starter.

“Your ability to connect with your players and your coaches and everything, that’s important,” Romo said recently on KRLD-FM. “When you play the game as long as I have, you almost understand that relationships matter a lot. I think that’s important for success for an organization and for a football team.”

So what better way for Garrett to reinforce the perception he and Romo are united than to hang out with him in public off the field? It seemed a calculated move on Garrett’s part to show up with Romo in visible settings, and in one instance, stand next to him in the stands at a Duke-North Carolina contest – the most well-known college basketball rivalry game there is.

It’s as important as ever, from a self-preservation standpoint, for Garrett to create the notion Romo needs him and would suffer without his supervision. Even if the Cowboys fall flat this season, Jones will have a tough time dumping Garrett, knowing that Romo could be adversely affected by that decision. The uncertainty created by such a move could give Jones pause because he has invested so much in Romo – the player on whom he has pinned the franchise’s hopes.

“We don’t have time with Romo in the state he is in his career,” the Cowboys owner said in February. “We don’t have time to sit here and build for three years, four years.”

If that’s the case, then it’s hard to imagine Jones getting rid of his coach. For better or worse, richer or poorer, Romo and Garrett are tied together. This offseason, as they attended a slew of basketball games, they showed everyone how close they really are.

More: http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***...-romo-could-preserve-cowboys-coachs-job.html/

Last edited by a moderator:

jday

Reaction score
How Jason Garrett’s relationship with Tony Romo could preserve Cowboys coach’s job
http://1.gravatar.com/avatar/d3211bbbfa93217ac1c6abde9f883345?s=52&d=http%3A%2F%2Fres.***BANNED-URL***%2Fresources%2Fimages%2FSD-logo-50.jpg%3Fs%3D52&r=G
By Rainer Sabin
rsabin@***BANNED-URL***

If the Cowboys founder in 2014, Garrett could be a goner. But what may preserve his job is his relationship with Romo. Since the beginning of time, key figures have gravitated towards those with real power to build and maintain their own strength. Cardinal Richelieu in France. Rasputin in Russia. In the Cowboys’ organization, Romo is among the strongest figures by virtue of his contract. He’s paid the most and is here for the long haul.

Garrett knows that. He’s also aware his healthy rapport with Romo will be a selling point when owner Jerry Jones considers Garrett’s future with the club. Next season, Romo will be 35 and will have spent the previous eight seasons directing an offense principally designed by Garrett. As far as Romo is concerned, switching systems and introducing a new – and significant – variable wouldn’t be a comforting move at this advanced stage of his career. Keeping Garrett aboard would simply be more convenient for a quarterback who has directed only one other offense since he was elevated to starter.

“Your ability to connect with your players and your coaches and everything, that’s important,” Romo said recently on KRLD-FM. “When you play the game as long as I have, you almost understand that relationships matter a lot. I think that’s important for success for an organization and for a football team.”

So what better way for Garrett to reinforce the perception he and Romo are united than to hang out with him in public off the field? It seemed a calculated move on Garrett’s part to show up with Romo in visible settings, and in one instance, stand next to him in the stands at a Duke-North Carolina contest – the most well-known college basketball rivalry game there is.

It’s as important as ever, from a self-preservation standpoint, for Garrett to create the notion Romo needs him and would suffer without his supervision. Even if the Cowboys fall flat this season, Jones will have a tough time dumping Garrett, knowing that Romo could be adversely affected by that decision. The uncertainty created by such a move could give Jones pause because he has invested so much in Romo – the player on whom he has pinned the franchise’s hopes.

“We don’t have time with Romo in the state he is in his career,” the Cowboys owner said in February. “We don’t have time to sit here and build for three years, four years.”

If that’s the case, then it’s hard to imagine Jones getting rid of his coach. For better or worse, richer or poorer, Romo and Garrett are tied together. This offseason, as they attended a slew of basketball games, they showed everyone how close they really are.

I'm going to have to disagree with this. Jerry Jones cares about money. Winning generates more money. For certain, the Cowboys will always make money, win or lose, but Jerry see's that wnning-football means more money...alot more. So for me, the only reason Jerry hold's on to Garrett following another disappointing season is if he honestly believes in the direction of the team. You need only look at Tom Landry's first several years here to understand what I'm talking about. I think Jerry believes Garrett is his "Landry."

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Jerry also has set it up so that Linehan, the OC, and the "offense" can stay if Oppie needs to be shown the door after his contract runs out. This would actually keep Romo happy if the premise of the article is true.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
As I have said before if Garrett job was safe he would have already been handed a longer term contract as HC, there would be no speculation about his job from the media which can become a big distraction over the season if Dallas struggles as some think they will. Jerry could silence all of it by one simple move and that is give Jason a long term contract yet Jerry has not done that. This is Garrett last season under contract and I think this team has to produce if he is to remain as the Cowboys HC

wileedog

Reaction score
For certain, the Cowboys will always make money, win or lose, but Jerry see's that wnning-football means more money...alot more.
Meh. The Cowboys have been mediocre to bad for almost two decades and Jerry has made more money than anyone. What Jerry wants now is to be "comfortable." The only time Jerry stepped out of his comfort zone and hired Parcells was when he needed a new stadium (and coincidentally, the only time the franchise saw a resurgence in the winning department in quite a while). As soon as he got that it was back to hiring malleable puppets.

It won't shock me in the least if we go 8-8 again and Garrett is brought back. Because its not about winning or money with Jerry, its about him being able to play with his toy the way he wants to.

I think Jerry believes Garrett is his "Landry."

I believe he thinks he has a more marketable Campo.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I'm going to have to disagree with this. Jerry Jones cares about money. Winning generates more money. For certain, the Cowboys will always make money, win or lose, but Jerry see's that wnning-football means more money...alot more. So for me, the only reason Jerry hold's on to Garrett following another disappointing season is if he honestly believes in the direction of the team. You need only look at Tom Landry's first several years here to understand what I'm talking about. I think Jerry believes Garrett is his "Landry."

His Landry only in that he could be in there for a long time... But Jerry must know he's not a Landry type talent or he wouldn't call him a trainee, take playcalling from him (twice), and hire coordinators for him.

But that said... This was more about trying to explain Garrett's motivation behind the very unusual BFF tour this offseason, which you almost never (maybe truly never) see between a QB and head coach. I wondered if Garrett wasn't trying to suck up to Tony after throwing him under the bus last season, but Sabin could be right, because Garrett is a better politician than anything else.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's the Cardinal Richelieu observation, I think, that's so spot on. He really nailed that. Good stuff, Dallas.

rcaldw

Reaction score
By Rainer Sabin
rsabin@***BANNED-URL***

More: http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***...-romo-could-preserve-cowboys-coachs-job.html/

Lab you need to get some help for this obsession.

jday

Reaction score
His Landry only in that he could be in there for a long time... But Jerry must know he's not a Landry type talent or he wouldn't call him a trainee, take playcalling from him (twice), and hire coordinators for him.

But that said... This was more about trying to explain Garrett's motivation behind the very unusual BFF tour this offseason, which you almost never (maybe truly never) see between a QB and head coach. I wondered if Garrett wasn't trying to suck up to Tony after throwing him under the bus last season, but Sabin could be right, because Garrett is a better politician than anything else.

I just don't see how Romo has any impact on Jerry's decsion, but I certainly could be wrong. For instance, if Jerry had sought the opinion of Aikman, Emmit, and Irvin prior to firing Jimmy Johnson and actually valued their opinion, Jimmy Johnson might actually still be here.

erod

Reaction score
Troy Aikman's take:

"It's a bottom-line business and he understands that. How many more chances are you going to get if you fail to make the playoffs. For that to happen, they've gotta to stay healthy; Tony Romo has to stay healthy. He has to play well. The defense has to be better. I really feel strongly in Jason Garrett. I think he has done some really good things from an organizational standpoint. It hasn't necessarily shown up in the win-loss column. But this organization, I think, internally is better now than when he took over as the head coach of the Cowboys. I hope he's here a long time."

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Great article, and I agree with the premise. Garrett's greatest strength is knowing how cover his own ***.
He sure does.

But this whole article is predicated on the notion that Tony would go to bat, so to speak, for JG. I don't necessarily see that. Tony has been open to new coordinators and playcallers, and I don't see why that would stop just becuase the two have such a long relationship. Tony wants to win as much as the fans do, and I think another poor year and he'd be more than willing to say that he's ready to move on from Red.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Troy Aikman's take:

"It's a bottom-line business and he understands that. How many more chances are you going to get if you fail to make the playoffs. For that to happen, they've gotta to stay healthy; Tony Romo has to stay healthy. He has to play well. The defense has to be better. I really feel strongly in Jason Garrett. I think he has done some really good things from an organizational standpoint. It hasn't necessarily shown up in the win-loss column. But this organization, I think, internally is better now than when he took over as the head coach of the Cowboys. I hope he's here a long time."

Yep. That's been in my sig since I saw it. Nice quote.