News: DMN Chat with Brandon George - 12/13/16

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just gonna put this here...

Question: Why do you think Cowboys fans are so quick to jump to conclusions? After the first Giants game they wanted Alfred Morris to start over Zeke. Now they want Romo.

Brandon George: That's just the nature of fans in general who are passionate about their teams. It's a lot of knee-jerk reaction. They want it fixed and they want it fixed now. But it's the NFL. Those other players are paid, too, and are very good, so a team's and a player's level of play will fluctuate throughout the year and the finished product will vary from game to game. Teams usually don't have knee-jerk reactions. They usually don't replace starters unless a trend of bad play develops. This was one bad game against the Giants, two bad games for the offense in a row. It'll take more of a trend to get Dak off the field.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Brandon George, Cowboys beat writer for SportsDayDFW.com and The Dallas Morning News, answered your questions about the team in a live chat recently. Here are some highlights:

Question: What do you think is going through Romo's mind with all of the fuss about how Dallas should put him in at quarterback instead of Dak?

Brandon George: There is no doubt Tony Romo wants to be starting at quarterback right now for the Cowboys. But he's also said he doesn't want to become a distraction. He's such a competitor. There has to be a constant inner struggle with him to want to be on the field but not want to see the team suffer because of poor QB play with Dak. He knows he can't get on the field unless the Cowboys struggle with Dak. That must be tough to rationalize.

Question: What's up with Dez, Brandon? Why can't he get it going with Dak these last few games?

Brandon George: Uh, not sure what you're talking about. Before Sunday, he had turned in his best four-game stretch in the last two years. He's had it going. He had one bad game. Just like Dak. This isn't a trend all of a sudden. Remember, the Cowboys had won 11 games in a row before losing to the Giants again.

Question: How high should the panic meter go if Dallas ends up losing to Tampa?

Brandon George: The Cowboys are 11-2 and in great position to not only win the NFC East but also get a first-round bye. Even with a loss to Tampa Bay, there is no need to panic now.

Question: Do you think the Cowboys are holding Dak back at all with their playcalling?

Brandon George: No, I don't. They've allowed Dak to do pretty much everything within their offense. I don't see this as a play-calling issue at this point. They do, however, need to have Zeke on the field over Dunbar when the game is on the line.

Question: Why do you think Cowboys fans are so quick to jump to conclusions? After the first Giants game they wanted Alfred Morris to start over Zeke. Now they want Romo.

Brandon George: That's just the nature of fans in general who are passionate about their teams. It's a lot of knee-jerk reaction. They want it fixed and they want it fixed now. But it's the NFL. Those other players are paid, too, and are very good, so a team's and a player's level of play will fluctuate throughout the year and the finished product will vary from game to game. Teams usually don't have knee-jerk reactions. They usually don't replace starters unless a trend of bad play develops. This was one bad game against the Giants, two bad games for the offense in a row. It'll take more of a trend to get Dak off the field.

Click here to view the full chat.

Continue reading...
You mean Dez doesnt need to retire or be traded and hes not the worst WR in the NFL? But but but, i heard it here.

Daillest88

Reaction score
Just an all around bad game, well defense played well but had a few interceptions dropped..ball just didn't bounce our way.. literally lol Dan Bailey agrees on that

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am ready for the game. Let's get this loss behind us by getting a win over TB.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just gonna put this here...

He's right, of course, but I'm never comfortable with the conclusion that it's ok to just be an irrational emotional baby because you're a fan of a team. With any team, the problems are usually pretty easy to define. And winning in the NFL is hard. When people lose the ability to look at things dispassionately and actually diagnose what is and isn't working, the rest of us should look at them like they've gone mad, and let them know it instead of shrugging 'what are you going to do, he's a fan' and looking the other way.

I spend the first half of every week after a loss scratching my head that people think Linehan suddenly lost the ability to call offensive plays or that Dez alternates weeks being able and then unable to run routes.