Dmn: Cowboy blog: Draft loaded with ready-to-go O-linemen

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
April 8, 2007

Draft loaded with ready-to-go O-linemen

Hall of Fame scribe Rick "Goose" Gosselin writes that this draft class is loaded with offensive linemen who started all four seasons in college. Those guys, according to Goose, tend to be ready to contribute immediately in the NFL.

The Cowboys don't have a hole to fill in the starting O-line after signing Leonard Davis, but it wouldn't be surprising to see Jerry and Co. use a first-day pick on a guard or tackle. The Cowboys have a lack of proven depth on the O-line, and the post-Flozell Adams era probably isn't far away.

For pure homer purposes, I'd love to see the Cowboys draft Plano East/Texas product Justin Blalock, who has a lot of tackle experience but projects as a guard in the pros. But Blalock, who Goose ranks as the third-best guard in the draft, would be a bit of a reach at No. 22 and certainly won't be available when the Cowboys pick in the second round.

Auburn guard Ben Grubbs is a popular pick for the Cowboys in mock drafts. He's a stud who didn't start all four years. He arrived in college as a 251-pound DT, moved to tight end for a year, kept bulking up and became the draft's top guard prospect.

Posted by Tim MacMahon http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 1:44 PM (E-mail this entry)

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
i'm not opposed to drafting an OG early on. even if he can't beat out kosier it would be good depth. on top of that, if davis moves to LT next year, we will be ready.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we draft a guard somewhere during the first day I would like a guy that can play center also.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Teague31;1449997 said:
i'm not opposed to drafting an OG early on. even if he can't beat out kosier it would be good depth. on top of that, if davis moves to LT next year, we will be ready.

Keep Davis away from LT.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Any four year starters that can play center? I'd be a big fan of any move to get a player that can spell Gurode...keep him fresh all year.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
trade down in the 1st and pick up Ben Grubbs...Kyle Kosier isn't anything special and needs competition. Grubbs is the closest to a sure thing in the draft. When Flozell leaves after this year, OL would be...

LT- Leonard Davis
LG- Ben Grubbs
C- Andre Gurode
RG- Kyle Kosier (would play better here)
RT- Marc Colombo

Roughneck

Reaction score
TheSport78;1450020 said:
trade down in the 1st and pick up Ben Grubbs...Kyle Kosier isn't anything special and needs competition. Grubbs is the closest to a sure thing in the draft.
Then why on earth would he fall into the very late first round?

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Roughneck;1450028 said:
Then why on earth would he fall into the very late first round?

because guard isn't an area of need for most teams...

How bout Robert Gallery? He was supposed to hold down the fort in OAK right? BUST! Joe Thomas looks like the real deal, but is he worth the risk? I don't think so. Same thing with Levi Brown, the guy is an underachiever with a lot of question marks.

Sure Grubbs isn't as versatile as other linemen like Blaylock, but look at the Cowboys o-line. Leonard Davis, Kosier, and Gurode are pretty versatile if you ask me. Sometimes it's just good to have an o-linemen that is GREAT at one position and not GOOD at many positions (Kosier). Grubbs is a sure fire offensive guard and is the real deal.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki;1449999 said:
If we draft a guard somewhere during the first day I would like a guy that can play center also.
Good thinking. I am in 100% agreement with you Michael.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
big dog cowboy;1450035 said:
Good thinking. I am in 100% agreement with you Michael.

Well you almost have to BDC... Last year we only dressed 7 lineman for several of the games.

We've got two guys that definitely would go to games after the starting 5-- I think the odds are pretty good that McQ is one of them and then who? A guard that can't play center? I don't think so.

Not saying we'll only take 7 to many games this but I think given the abundance of WR's that we'll take along with DL, LB and secondary guys I think "7" is the number to plan for.

That's another reason why I don't think we're taking a QB high... Because taht will entail having to carry 3 on the first 53 and I don't know if we'll be able to do that. Better to select a guy later in draft who can reside on the PS for a year.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
I just don't see it. We sign a G to a decent deal last year, resign our C for pretty good coin then give another G 50 million. Then we use our #1 on another interior OLman? Not gonna happen.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
TheSport78;1450020 said:
trade down in the 1st and pick up Ben Grubbs...Kyle Kosier isn't anything special and needs competition. Grubbs is the closest to a sure thing in the draft. When Flozell leaves after this year, OL would be...

LT- Leonard Davis
LG- Ben Grubbs
C- Andre Gurode
RG- Kyle Kosier (would play better here)
RT- Marc Colombo

Tony Romo has been sacked 4 times since this was posted

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Big Dakota;1450075 said:
Bledsoe isn't even on the team anymore and he was concussed.

Unconfirmed reports coming in that Eddie LeBaron was admitted to the hospital with a sprained right knee and a fractured rib

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Big Dakota;1450065 said:
I just don't see it. We sign a G to a decent deal last year, resign our C for pretty good coin then give another G 50 million. Then we use our #1 on another interior OLman? Not gonna happen.

I agree...would be a waste

draft other positions of greater impact...mid to late rd picks can be used on OL's

David