DMN: Cowboy blog: JJT: Buckeye love

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
April 11, 2007

Buckeye love

I figured I would respond to Archer before someone pointed out that two weeks ago I wrote that Ted Ginn might be a really good fit for the Cowboys. You have to realize that everything about the draft is fluid. The more you talk to people, the more information you get, the more your opinion can change. That said, the people I talk to about Ginn talk about his unpolished route-running and perceived lack of toughness because he doesn't run many routes in the middle of the field and he is a track guy. Ginn, who I could definitely see falling in the draft, might be the guy who is a bad value at 6-12, an ok value at 13-20 and a good value lower than that. I hope all of that makes sense.

Posted by Jean-Jacques Taylor http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 11:07 AM

burmafrd

Reaction score
If he really is an all world KR and PR, then if he can give us what Hester gave the bears last year he is worth the pick just for that.

joseephuss

Reaction score
burmafrd;1453318 said:
If he really is an all world KR and PR, then if he can give us what Hester gave the bears last year he is worth the pick just for that.

The special teams blocking would have to also improve. Hester is pretty good, but he would not have been as good in Dallas. The blocking was very inconsistent on both kickoff and punt returns.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Lets draft a kick returner at #22.

you-are-stupid-tee-shirt.jpg

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
burmafrd;1453318 said:

Ok, but the odds in that panning out are slim to none. (btw, my last post wasn't directed at you. I just noticed your post!) We have Thompson, Newman, Crayton, and even Austin. We really don't need another return guy... You are playing craps to draft him for that.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
nyc;1453349 said:
Lets draft a kick returner at #22.

you-are-stupid-tee-shirt.jpg

Word! No thanks for the 376th time. Blah.

aikemirv

Reaction score
nyc;1453357 said:
Ok, but the odds in that panning out are slim to none. (btw, my last post wasn't directed at you. I just noticed your post!) We have Thompson, Newman, Crayton, and even Austin. We really don't need another return guy... You are playing craps to draft him for that.

I look at it the other way, you have a highly regarded WR that has breakaway ability not only in the return game but in open space.

So, if he were to bust out as a top WR, you have a fallback in the other areas. You don't get that kind of security blanket with most picks at 22.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
aikemirv;1453455 said:
I look at it the other way, you have a highly regarded WR that has breakaway ability not only in the return game but in open space.

So, if he were to bust out as a top WR, you have a fallback in the other areas. You don't get that kind of security blanket with most picks at 22.

At best he becomes Santana Moss A very inconsistant wide receiver.

If we draft a receiver in the first round, I want that receiver to be big, strong, and play with fire. It's why my first choice (after Johnson of course) is Bowe at WR.

aikemirv

Reaction score
nyc;1453473 said:
At best he becomes Santana Moss A very inconsistant wide receiver.

If we draft a receiver in the first round, I want that receiver to be big, strong, and play with fire. It's why my first choice (after Johnson of course) is Bowe at WR.

Not that I would complain about Santana Moss type production with the 22nd pick but you don't know that is the best.

I swear some of you guys expect to find a hall of famer every time in the first round. That does not happen very often!

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
ZeroClub;1453396 said:
JJT - You are making perfect sense.

yeah, but Ginn in the early 20's isnt a good value either...he has too many questions when compared to the other WR's that will probably be available then

at 30 or lower (reaor better yet, early 2nd) he interests me, but I wouldnt take him at 22

David

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
burmafrd;1453318 said:

A first round pick to run back kicks? Austin can run back kicks.

burmafrd

Reaction score
as a KR and PR he can be a real threat- AND we no longer have to risk Newman. He can take a year or so to learn how to be an NFL WR. This guy has been compared to Hester in his ability to run em back; tell me Hester was not worth a high first rd pick? At 22 you are not likely to get a game changer.