DMN- Cowboys "press" coverage

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
used on only 17 of the 67 defensive snaps- pathetic. I cant believe our staff is this stupid.

PRESS COVERAGE: When I did that chat on Monday the majority of questions had to do with the secondary playing off coverage more than press coverage vs. the Commanders. I asked Wade Phillips about why they didn't play press much and he said they did play press.

Here are the totals I came up with (minus three kneel downs, five penalties):
OFF: 50
PRESS: 17 (this includes when one corner would play press and one would play off)

When I covered the Dolphins earlier this decade Sam Madison and Patrick Surtain formed one of the best duos in the league because they played press every play. Every play. They disrupted timing. They were physical with the corners. But they almost always had safety help over the top which allowed them to be so aggressive.

But with players like Anthony Henry, Terence Newman and Adam Jones, why not disrupt the timing? In 2003 the Cowboys played a lot of press because they needed to be a gambling defense. It worked. The Commanders used a lot of quick throws in the first half to help Jason Campbell get rid of the ball. They were efficient. The one time the Cowboys played a true across the board press Jones came up with a pass breakup on the opening series

Jake0

Reaction score
I seriously am sick of watching it. Very frustrating.

Cowboy_4_Life

Reaction score
Asklesko;2299475 said:
Because we do not play to win. We play not to lose.

I like that. That should be the new motto.

"We do not play to win. We play not to lose!"

ddh33

Reaction score
Asklesko;2299475 said:
Because we do not play to win. We play not to lose.

I actually think that's true, and I talked about it in another thread.

I think this offense has spoiled Wade in some ways. I think he has made the calculation that his defense just needs to do enough because the offense is going to get their 25 plus a game. So bend, but don't break.

I have seen this defense really turn up the heat a few times when they needed to, but you sure don't see that very often. Unfortunately, there wasn't any heat to turn up on Sunday. The Skins were running it, and Dallas wasn't stopping it.

But my point is, if this offense was more limited, I think this defense would get more aggressive in a hurry. But the strategy looks like the defense is supposed to do just enough...

Personally, I'd like to see a dominant attitude expressed on both sides of the ball. Last week, I didn't see it on either side of the ball.

FCBarca

Reaction score
Preaching to the choir on this point...The secondary and defensive schemes harkin to Zimmer times and that is NEVER a good thing

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FCBarca;2299531 said:
Preaching to the choir on this point...The secondary and defensive schemes harkin to Zimmer times and that is NEVER a good thing

I think Zimmer had more guts actually. Hell he played press coverage with Newman and Mario Edwards, and Peter Hunter was the 3rd corner.

My gosh, how would Stewart/Phillips run the secondary if they had those three corners? Play them 25 yards off the receiver?

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;2299466 said:
used on only 17 of the 67 defensive snaps- pathetic. I cant believe our staff is this stupid.

PRESS COVERAGE: When I did that chat on Monday the majority of questions had to do with the secondary playing off coverage more than press coverage vs. the Commanders. I asked Wade Phillips about why they didn't play press much and he said they did play press.

Here are the totals I came up with (minus three kneel downs, five penalties):
OFF: 50
PRESS: 17 (this includes when one corner would play press and one would play off)

When I covered the Dolphins earlier this decade Sam Madison and Patrick Surtain formed one of the best duos in the league because they played press every play. Every play. They disrupted timing. They were physical with the corners. But they almost always had safety help over the top which allowed them to be so aggressive.

But with players like Anthony Henry, Terence Newman and Adam Jones, why not disrupt the timing? In 2003 the Cowboys played a lot of press because they needed to be a gambling defense. It worked. The Commanders used a lot of quick throws in the first half to help Jason Campbell get rid of the ball. They were efficient. The one time the Cowboys played a true across the board press Jones came up with a pass breakup on the opening series

thats just lame.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
ddh33;2299517 said:

I think this offense has spoiled Wade in some ways. I think he has made the calculation that his defense just needs to do enough because the offense is going to get their 25 plus a game. So bend, but don't break.

I have seen this defense really turn up the heat a few times when they needed to, but you sure don't see that very often. Unfortunately, there wasn't any heat to turn up on Sunday. The Skins were running it, and Dallas wasn't stopping it.

But my point is, if this offense was more limited, I think this defense would get more aggressive in a hurry. But the strategy looks like the defense is supposed to do just enough...

Personally, I'd like to see a dominant attitude expressed on both sides of the ball. Last week, I didn't see it on either side of the ball.
yeah this is the philosophy that has been adopted. Maybe they are right in the way they are playing D. I love press coverage and pressure. When you can dictate in a game i feel like you should. However, with our offense all we really have to do is not lose the game. I feel like the real blame can be put on our lack of effort to run the ball.

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
ddh33;2299517 said:

Agreed...and that's a bass ackward way of thinking, IMO! You'd think with an offense so talented and dangerous that defensively Wade would be MORE aggressive because if they do give up an occasional big play the O would be able to get those points back. Hopefully they'll take the reins off of the secondary and play to their supposed strength...MAN D!!

FCBarca

Reaction score
These points always remind me of Wade's hiring and how all the players were under the assumption they'd be 'freed' to attack on D :rolleyes:

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Wade cares more about sacks than coverage and it's his mark. Everywhere he goes, he openly admits that his team "WILL GET SACKS". Okay, so if you get 4 sacks a game, and only pressures the passer 10 times a game, and give up 300yds passing, you still lose.

Teams can avoid most sacks by simply taking quick drops, 3 step drops, maximum protection, chiping both ends, screens, etc.....

So Wade likes his guys 10 yards off, WHY? When a QB looks over at his receiver who's getting thrown around, he loses precious time by looking for another target thus allowing the pass rush to get there.

But if he looks up, and the CB is 12 yards down field, bam, easy throw.

Givincer

Reaction score
I truly don't understand the logic behind playing the corners 8-10 yards off the line of scrimmage. As the above post said, if we blitz, it's an easy easy 7 yards. Every time.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2299674 said:
I think Zimmer had more guts actually. Hell he played press coverage with Newman and Mario Edwards, and Peter Hunter was the 3rd corner.

My gosh, how would Stewart/Phillips run the secondary if they had those three corners? Play them 25 yards off the receiver?

in fact Parcells used to say that Zimmer was so aggressive that he had to tone his playcalling down

my suggestion is that we play press w/ the corners, but leave Newman one on one, or PacMan, until Newman's healthy, and shade Hamlin over to Henry's side

it's working against us

if it's a really good TE playing, put JEnkins in at corner, have him play man on a wideout in place of henry, give him the safety help, and move Henry to the slot S position

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Clove;2299821 said:
Wade cares more about sacks than coverage and it's his mark. Everywhere he goes, he openly admits that his team "WILL GET SACKS". Okay, so if you get 4 sacks a game, and only pressures the passer 10 times a game, and give up 300yds passing, you still lose.

Teams can avoid most sacks by simply taking quick drops, 3 step drops, maximum protection, chiping both ends, screens, etc.....

So Wade likes his guys 10 yards off, WHY? When a QB looks over at his receiver who's getting thrown around, he loses precious time by looking for another target thus allowing the pass rush to get there.

But if he looks up, and the CB is 12 yards down field, bam, easy throw.

good points

Wade said on 2 occasions last year that he tries to get QBs to throw into coverage

it hasn't happened in almost 2 and half years, time to switch up the scheme a bit

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2299876 said:
in fact Parcells used to say that Zimmer was so aggressive that he had to tone his playcalling down

my suggestion is that we play press w/ the corners, but leave Newman one on one, or PacMan, until Newman's healthy, and shade Hamlin over to Henry's side
Sounds like a good idea to me. A little glimpse of the days of deion.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;2299880 said:
Sounds like a good idea to me. A little glimpse of the days of deion.

or what has been neutralizing TO the past 2 weeks from making the big plays

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2299888 said:
or what has been neutralizing TO the past 2 weeks from making the big plays
I think the lack of a running game hurt him more then anything.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;2299896 said:
I think the lack of a running game hurt him more then anything.

that is true, but a safety over the top is keeping Romo from looking TO deep

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2299900 said:
that is true, but a safety over the top is keeping Romo from looking TO deep
This is for sure giving us problems. We either need to truly make an effort and sacrifice to get another WR or be more disciplined and stick to the running game. If you can run you can beat anyone.