DMN- Cowboys "press" coverage

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I think it *seems* like a low amount of time, but who knows for sure until you compare it to other teams. I'll try chart some other teams this weekend to get a better idea.

YAKUZA

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2299674 said:
I think Zimmer had more guts actually. Hell he played press coverage with Newman and Mario Edwards, and Peter Hunter was the 3rd corner.

My gosh, how would Stewart/Phillips run the secondary if they had those three corners? Play them 25 yards off the receiver?
Newman was so good as a rookie - playing quite a bit of press - that Mike Shanahan said one of the big reasons he made the move to trade for Champ Bailey was the success Dallas had the previous season with Newman (the gist of which was that Newman's ability to play one-on-one helped Dallas cover up some of their weaknesses, and allowed an otherwise mediocre defense to be successful).

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;2299908 said:
I think it *seems* like a low amount of time, but who knows for sure until you compare it to other teams. I'll try chart some other teams this weekend to get a better idea.

YAKUZA

It depends on who you chart. teams like green bay will Obv have different numbers than us. You gotta find a team thats not known for man coverage and also not known for playing a lot of zone like Tampa.

Everson24

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2299674 said:
I think Zimmer had more guts actually. Hell he played press coverage with Newman and Mario Edwards, and Peter Hunter was the 3rd corner.

My gosh, how would Stewart/Phillips run the secondary if they had those three corners? Play them 25 yards off the receiver?

I've been saying this same thing for a while now. We actually played a lot of zero coverage in 2003 when Newman was a rookie. We never see that blitz now even though we have better corners across the board.

I really dont understand playing a bend but dont break defense. If we can force more three and outs we get to control the clock more. Even if we give up a big play now and then ala the Eagles, our offense just gets the ball back that much sooner.

I feel we would be almost unbeatable with Philly's, Baltimore's or Pittsburgh's defenses. Just check out the amount of punts those three teams force.

Nexx

Reaction score
ABQcowboyJR;2299692 said:
yeah this is the philosophy that has been adopted. Maybe they are right in the way they are playing D. I love press coverage and pressure. When you can dictate in a game i feel like you should. However, with our offense all we really have to do is not lose the game. I feel like the real blame can be put on our lack of effort to run the ball.

wade... is that you?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I can see not trusting the players

but the Giants manned up against us in the Division game w/ an aging Sam Madison, a Corey Webster who was thought of as a bust until only a few weeks before, and a rookie Aaron Ross

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2299927 said:
It depends on who you chart. teams like green bay will Obv have different numbers than us. You gotta find a team thats not known for man coverage and also not known for playing a lot of zone like Tampa.

I fail to see the difference. You can play zone and be way off the WR or play man and be way off the WR. The big complaint on this board (and with myself to a smaller degree) is the lack of press coverage which causes team to eat up the underneath stuff. They can press and still play zone no problem.

YAKUZA

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;2300006 said:
I fail to see the difference. You can play zone and be way off the WR or play man and be way off the WR. The big complaint on this board (and with myself to a smaller degree) is the lack of press coverage which causes team to eat up the underneath stuff. They can press and still play zone no problem.

YAKUZA

whats even worse is every game we've played this incredibly soft off-man/zone coverage, and STILL got beat deep at least once per game. Even the Cleveland game, people foregt Edwards torched us for a long easy td, but dropped the ball. Philly beat us deep for a TD...GB got a 50+ yd play on us, and Washington got one on us the other day.

We give up way too many uncontested completions, have made almost NO plays on the ball whatsoever (supposedly a strength of playing this type of scheme, mroe pick opps) and are still giving up big plays too. I fail to see any advantage to continuing to play that way, especially when you also factor in that Newman, Jones, jenkins and even Henry are all man cover CB's.

landryscorner

Reaction score
I don't know but all this NEgative Coaching vibes that the MEdia and Fans are giving the dallas coaches is good for them, guess now they can get off their high horse and start playing some Dam Football!!!

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
dbair1967;2300365 said:
whats even worse is every game we've played this incredibly soft off-man/zone coverage, and STILL got beat deep at least once per game. Even the Cleveland game, people foregt Edwards torched us for a long easy td, but dropped the ball. Philly beat us deep for a TD...GB got a 50+ yd play on us, and Washington got one on us the other day.

We give up way too many uncontested completions, have made almost NO plays on the ball whatsoever (supposedly a strength of playing this type of scheme, mroe pick opps) and are still giving up big plays too. I fail to see any advantage to continuing to play that way, especially when you also factor in that Newman, Jones, jenkins and even Henry are all man cover CB's.

I am getting in late on this conversation, but I completely agree. Why are we playing soft zone with corners that specialize in man? I kept screaming at the TV on Sunday to play bump and run on Moss. He was getting a free release off the line which is never a good thing for a speedy WR.

You would think that we didn't have any talent in the secondary.

I seriously wonder, can the coaches actually be that stupid? I said at one time that I had confidence and trust in our coaching staff. I'm not so sure about that statement now. We had a few Homer moments on both sides of the ball and it has to change immediately.

mmohican29

Reaction score
I echo Clove on the "sacks" issue. What difference does it make to get a sack and then turn around and surrender 13-30 yard passes on the next play? I saw a game recently between San Fran and Seattle and for every Seahawk sack there was a 20yrd completion following it. Our D isn't far from having the same issue at all.

We need to be more intelligent and smashmouth. Period.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Right now do you really think it's the right time to start pressing esp all over the field? Scandrick and Jenkins are still rookies. TNew is still not well (educated guess). AJ is still learning the system. Spencer is still not up to par and the pass rush is still not what it will be. And RW is out.

We lose a game by two points and way too many of you want to fire the coach, fire the players, committ sepaku. I keep telling myself that humanity is better. Still.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I know that everyone is upset about the loss and it doesn't help that the secondary problems/philosophy inherent since the Parcells and Campo days are still alive and kicking, but to long for the days of Zimmer is insane.

Dallas D has improved TREMENDOUSLY since Wade's arrival. Is there room for improvement, even dominance, of course, but I will take my chances with Wade over Zimmer ANY DAY AND EVERY DAY.

People who have forgotten the ineptitudes of the Zimmer D (does no one remember 2000 when the Cowboys could not stop the run OR the pass EVER) will remember soon enough, he's coming back to Texas Stadium next Sunday.

Cowboys will not just win, they will DESTROY the Bengals D.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I think we will get more aggressive as the season progresses and the coaches are more trusting of the players to play press coverage. Do I think they can do it? AJ. Qualified yes. He still has to integrate into the overall scheme. Jenkins and Scandrick. Not yet. And TNew is still not 100%.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
jobberone;2300792 said:
I think we will get more aggressive as the season progresses and the coaches are more trusting of the players to play press coverage. Do I think they can do it? AJ. Qualified yes. He still has to integrate into the overall scheme. Jenkins and Scandrick. Not yet. And TNew is still not 100%.

I wanted to believe that, but now I dont. Now we see why the players were literally begging the coaches for more aggressive stuff during the offseason and TC, its because this (soft coverage, not many creative blitzes) was the plan the entire offseason. They played this way in every preseason game, and have this way in the 4 regular season games this yr.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;2300911 said:
I wanted to believe that, but now I dont. Now we see why the players were literally begging the coaches for more aggressive stuff during the offseason and TC, its because this (soft coverage, not many creative blitzes) was the plan the entire offseason. They played this way in every preseason game, and have this way in the 4 regular season games this yr.

they also played this way last year and many people thought it was because of Reeves turns out to be the coaching philosophy

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
jobberone;2300707 said:
Right now do you really think it's the right time to start pressing esp all over the field? Scandrick and Jenkins are still rookies. TNew is still not well (educated guess). AJ is still learning the system. Spencer is still not up to par and the pass rush is still not what it will be. And RW is out.

I think it's the right time when you are being "dink" and "dunked" to death. Last year the excuse was we didn't have the enough good corners to do it, this year this excuse is our fourth and fifth corners don't have enough experience......so when exactly will it be the right time? To me it is simply a case of playing not to lose....which has been Phillips' m.o throughout his head coaching career.