DMN: Emmitt blasts Flozell

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
November 2, 2008
Emmitt Smith fires away at Flozell Adams
10:28 AM Sun, Nov 02, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Flozell Adams spent his first five seasons blocking for Emmitt Smith, but that didn't stop the NFL's all-time leading rusher from criticizing the Cowboys' left tackle on national TV.

Smith's message on this morning's SportsCenter was a little confusing, because he referred to "the Cowboys' two left tackles" and completely botched the pronunciation of Giants DE Mathias Kiwankua's name.:laugh2: But Emmitt's point was that the Giants outside pass rushers are going to pose major problems for the Cowboys.

He was particularly harsh on Adams, criticizing the four-time Pro Bowler over highlights of Adams getting abused this season.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
I like Smith, but he is sort of forcing it with the TV thing. He still has a problem matching his singulars with plurals. He is right about Adams though. He probably has hit the wall and we need to cover that before next season.

ethiostar

Reaction score
I'm surprised that Emmitt has lasted this long. I love the man but he is so horrible.

Nav22

Reaction score
I remember when Emmitt went to Arizona and made his "diamond surrounded by trash" comment before his return to Texas Stadium, Flozell was one of the first to publicly fire back at Emmitt. So maybe they've maintained some beef since then.

"If we're trash, he's trash too. We'll see what he says when we play them." - Flo

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't care how he said it, just that he said it.

It's about time someone called out Adams for his recent lackadaisical play.

And don't give me the 'he's hurt' excuse. If he's that hurt, sit him.

And if the team doesn't have a capable backup, cut the stiffs on the current roster and go get someone.

Now if someone will step up and tell Gurode how badly he's faded the last month of the season...

Kilyin

Reaction score
Emmitt is seriously trashing himself with his 'broadcasting' career. I wish he'd just call it quits.

cowboyrock

Benched
Reaction score
Getting mad a Emmit for telling the truth wont get it done. he may be bad on tv. but he is right on the money about Flozell.Jerry paid all that money this offseason to keep him. and he has been pitiful. Doug Free could not be any worse right now.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Adams deserves some criticism. I do think he was playing hurt but Stash is right. If he couldn't play well enough hurt you put someone else out there. My guess is they thought he was going to get a lot better during the game and just kept waiting and waiting for his arm to get better. It didn't. It got worse and from reports, by game's end he was having problems raising it up.

They should have replaced him. That's a coaching error.

Kilyin

Reaction score
jobberone;2389581 said:
Adams deserves some criticism. I do think he was playing hurt but Stash is right. If he couldn't play well enough hurt you put someone else out there. My guess is they thought he was going to get a lot better during the game and just kept waiting and waiting for his arm to get better. It didn't. It got worse and from reports, by game's end he was having problems raising it up.

They should have replaced him. That's a coaching error.

Agreed, to an extent. It's been said before, but if a one-armed Flozell is still considered the best option over what's behind him, why are those guys still taking up roster spots? (Free, McQ, Holland, etc)

khiladi

Reaction score
stasheroo;2389560 said:
I don't care how he said it, just that he said it.

It's about time someone called out Adams for his recent lackadaisical play.

And don't give me the 'he's hurt' excuse. If he's that hurt, sit him.

And if the team doesn't have a capable backup, cut the stiffs on the current roster and go get someone.

Now if someone will step up and tell Gurode how badly he's faded the last month of the season...

I called Flozell out prior to his obvious collapse, and I was shot down by saying he hadn't allowed a sack that game. He clearly, at that point, but it was obvious the man lined up against him was getting pressure on Romo all game long.

Coakleys Dad

The Re-Birth has begun.
Reaction score
I think Emmitt is a lousy commentator but his point is noted, Jerruh took care of him this offseason and he NOT doing his job.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Forget how long he has lasted on ESPN or how he says what he says. He is correct on this. Flozell has played like trash this season. It needed to be said.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Flozell is a bum and needs to be blasted. bench his sorry butt if he doesnt want to win or play hard.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Kilyin;2389591 said:
Agreed, to an extent. It's been said before, but if a one-armed Flozell is still considered the best option over what's behind him, why are those guys still taking up roster spots? (Free, McQ, Holland, etc)

I can't answer that. I can only guess they thought his stinger would get better and didn't want to take him out of the game. I can see Adams saying "sure coach. I'm good to go". And them afraid to hurt his feelings are believe their eyes. Otherwise I can't think of a reason why they didn't put Free or Red on the Head in. Unless they are truly worse than a one armed Adams.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Coakleys Dad;2389627 said:
I think Emmitt is a lousy commentator but his point is noted, Jerruh took care of him this offseason and he NOT doing his job.

That's the problem with Jerry, the GM. He becomes too attached to his ageing vets and awards contracts based on past rather than expected performance.

You just don't give that kind of contract to a guy with a work ethic like Flo at this stage of his career. He got his last payday and now he is half-assing it.
He was playing poorly even before his shoulder injury so that is not a valid excuse.

I really think we are better off just seeing how Free does today. If BJ is injured it is no great loss to us. I'd rather try him out now to see what he has before Romo is back.

Eskimo

Reaction score
jobberone;2389661 said:
I can't answer that. I can only guess they thought his stinger would get better and didn't want to take him out of the game. I can see Adams saying "sure coach. I'm good to go". And them afraid to hurt his feelings are believe their eyes. Otherwise I can't think of a reason why they didn't put Free or Red on the Head in. Unless they are truly worse than a one armed Adams.

How many amputees do you seeing playing LT? I rest my case. :laugh2:

It kind of reminds me of the 94 championship game when Allen was playing on a bum ankle and 49ers DEs kept on going right around him and pounding Aikman. Meanwhile we had a future Pro Bowler who had been with us a couple of years sitting on the bench in Ron Stone.

Sometimes the coach just has to tell the player they are hurting the team and need to sit on the bench.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
If Flozell is truly hurt and is allowing the DE's to just blow by him... then yes, absolutely... it IS time to see if Free can slow them down.

Free is a very good prospect but he does have some negatives, however... Pass blocking isn't one of them. He has terrific feet and agility, and he should be able to at least slow his guy down. His weakness coming into the league was run blocking. Flo hasn't been lighting it up in the running game either, so I don't see much of a problem with putting in Free if Flo is stinking it up.

Plus, I'm sure Free has improved his strength since being drafted.