News: DMN: Five Cowboys who could break out in 2016: No. 2, defensive lineman David Irving

NewsBot

Reaction score
*** Message was removed by demand from DMN ***

Last edited by a moderator:

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I've been on the Irving wagon for a while. Seemed whenever I watched him last year he was getting excellent penetration and was clearly disruptive.

He may be the only person that can make Gregory regret smoking.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I've been on the Irving wagon for a while. Seemed whenever I watched him last year he was getting excellent penetration and was clearly disruptive.

^^^^^^ This, I agree with 100%!

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score

If Gregory blows it, I could see Irving @ LE and moving Lawrence over to RE. He's just too raw to know yet and needs snaps. Love his potential too and showed he can play the interior (Ideally 3 tech) last season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really liked what I saw from him last year. He looked like a disruptive playmaker and I look forward to seeing what he can do outside. And I hope Marinelli's talk about his ability to bend are accurate. For a guy with his length, that's huge.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We're due for a player to come out of nowhere and be better than average for us.

I hope a random Dlinemen or 2 goes to a borderline pro bowl level for us. We are desperate for it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this.

And I'd just like to reiterate how happy I am that Nick Hayden is gone. Talk about a waste of space...

I have nothing bad to say about Hayden, hell at least he hard the heart and brains to play unlike some of these guys with great talent but are too stupid to even get on the field because they can't control their own action.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Not many rookies can come in and contribute at DT, getting almost 20 hurries.

He's pretty quick and better against the run than his scouting report let on. Playing DT early in your career grows you up fast too, especially when you're a "plays thin" DE.

He may take a few years to find a groove but if he can keep building on his rookie campaign I think he's going to be pretty good. A solid SDE that can slide into a 3T occasionally, that may not make Pro Bowls but can be a 6-8 sack player that holds down that left side.The guy looks like he can play at 285.

I predicted he'd be the starting LDE after the draft, pretty tall order for a 2nd year UDFA, and everyone should be managing expectations for that reason, but I think he'll actually do okay.

Sydla

Reaction score
There is talent there.

Odds are you are right and he'll be a jag but he has the ability to possibly be more than that.

He has the ability to maybe be a good rotational guy. That's his talent ceiling.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Not many rookies can come in and contribute at DT, getting almost 20 hurries.

He's pretty quick and better against the run than his scouting report let on. Playing DT early in your career grows you up fast too, especially when you're a "plays thin" DE.

He may take a few years to find a groove but if he can keep building on his rookie campaign I think he's going to be pretty good. A solid SDE that can slide into a 3T occasionally, that may not make Pro Bowls but can be a 6-8 sack player that holds down that left side.The guy looks like he can play at 285.

I predicted he'd be the starting LDE after the draft, pretty tall order for a 2nd year UDFA, and everyone should be managing expectations for that reason, but I think he'll actually do okay.

I have been high on this kid too, he will win the LDE starting job in camp and we'll move Lawrence to RDE after 5 weeks, which is his natural spot also.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He has the ability to maybe be a good rotational guy. That's his talent ceiling.

Like I said.. Odds are you are right.. But this team is due for some random Miles Austin types to come along.

Most teams get those random players to pop up from time to time. We haven't been fortunate with that lately so I understand your skepticism.

Our big talent players usually come early in the draft and we haven't had the fortunes of finding bigtime studs later on that develop into more than average.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have nothing bad to say about Hayden, hell at least he hard the heart and brains to play unlike some of these guys with great talent but are too stupid to even get on the field because they can't control their own action.

That's true. But despite the heart and brains, he just never had the ability to make plays. He was just a guy running around out there, trying hard but failing. If only guys like Gregory and McClain had that drive...