DMN: Football Outsiders - Adam Jones Has Been Dallas' Best CB

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Five Downs With Football Outsiders: Adam 'Pacman' Jones has been Cowboys' best cornerback
7:00 AM Fri, Nov 14, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Bill Barnwell, a contributing editor at footballoutsiders.com and one of the minds behind the must-read Pro Football Prospectus, will answer five Cowboys questions each week of the season using the FO data and methodologies. Here's the Week 10 edition:

1. Based on the available FO data, rank the Cowboys cornerbacks in order from best to worst this season.

Anthony Henry
31-of-45 (69 %), 392 yards, 8.7 ypa, 2 PBU, 0 INT, 2 pass interferences

Adam "Pacman" Jones
21-of-42 (50%), 216 yards, 5.1 ypa, 7 PBU, 0 INT, 1 pass interference

Mike Jenkins
22-of-33 (67%), 248 yards, 7.5 ypa, 2 PBU, 1 INT, 0 pass interference

Terence Newman
14-of-17 (82%), 175 yards, 10.3 ypa, 1 PBU, 0 INT, 0 pass interference

Orlando Scandrick
7-of-14 (50%), 85 yards, 6.1 ypa, 0 PBU, 0 INT, 0 pass interference

Alan Ball
2-of-3 (67%), 12 yards, 4.0 ypa, 0 PBU, 0 INT, 0 pass interference

The table above is compiled by the volunteers in our Game Charting Project, who break down every play of the NFL season to capture a myriad of things that aren't recorded in the NFL's official play-by-play. One of those things is to mark who is in coverage on a pass play. While marking who's in coverage is an inexact science without coaches' film, the charters are given specific instructions on what to look for. Note that the numbers above have plays where a defender was flagged for pass interference included as completions with yards added to the player's total.

Starting at the top, as much of a headache as he's been, we continue to see the Adam Jones that steps between the lines on Sunday as an elite corner. The opposition only completed 50% of passes to receivers when he was in coverage, and he allowed only 5.1 yards per attempt. He also had almost as many passes defensed (seven) as the rest of the team's corners combined (eight).

Second would be Mike Jenkins. Now, we're looking at pass coverage here. I'm well-aware of the infamous fake that Jenkins put on himself when he was trying to tackle Derrick Ward. Looking as his numbers in the passing game, Jenkins has been acceptable for a nickel corner. He's been pressed into service as the team's top corner at points, which he's not ready for. Although it was a bit of a fluke, he also has the team's only interception from the cornerback position.

I'll put Anthony Henry third. He's simply allowing too many yards to be a championship-caliber corner -- whether that's because he's allowing too much of a cushion to account for his quad or not, I can't say, but last year, he only allowed six yards per attempt, which was 11th-best in football.

Finally, there's Terence Newman, who returns from sports hernia surgery this week. While it's true that Newman often takes the other team's top receiver (he did so last year at a 50% rate, which was 10th in the league), and he also limits the number of throws that come at him, those metrics are simply unacceptable. Virtually every pass thrown in his direction has been complete, and while he was in coverage on the bomb to Santana Moss in the Commanders' game, he's allowed nine first downs and a touchdown on those 17 attempts, so it's not just one big play that's inflating his numbers.

I think Newman is playing better than those numbers indicate, but he certainly wasn't up to the caliber of the player he needs to be or is being paid like when he was in the lineup.

2. How bad did the Brad Johnson error, oops... era end up being?

There are so many different ways to express how bad Brad Johnson was. His DVOA was -55.9%. That's the worst in the league for any passer with more than 60 attempts. Tony Romo, on the other hand, had a DVOA of 29.6%.

That's a difference of 85.5%. In the 13 years that we have DVOA data for, no backup who's dropped back more than 80 times has ever even come close to being that much worse than the starter. The previous low was a difference of 75.9% for the 2001 Vikings, who replaced an injured Daunte Culpepper with Spurgeon Wynn, who threw six interceptions in 98 attempts and averaged 4.3 yards per attempt before being benched. Wynn was actually the third-stringer, as 29-year-old rookie Todd Bouman was the first guy off the bench and actually did a respectable job.

Second-worst would be Tommy Maddox when he filled in for Ben Roethlisberger during the Steelers' Super Bowl run in 2005.

Not coincidentally, both Wynn and Maddox never played again in the NFL. I suspect Johnson will be joining them.

3. Clinton Portis and Ladell Betts are both banged up, so there's a chance Shaun Alexander could be the Commanders' primary running back. How dramatic a drop-off would that be for the Washington running game?

It's hard to overstate how bad Shaun Alexander was in 2007. We had him as the second-least valuable running back in the league according to DYAR; by nary a single measure was he superior to backup Maurice Morris, who is no one's idea of a great player.

The biggest concern for Commanders fans with Portis out, honestly, will have to be the blocking game, where Portis is without peer. Mike Sellers is a decent pass blocker, but the Commanders are going to have to either dramatically limit their offensive playbook or hope that Alexander is up to handling DeMarcus Ware or Anthony Spencer/Greg Ellis when they come free.

4. Where is the Washington defense most vulnerable? What matchups most favor the Cowboys' offense?

I would think that Roy Williams and Terrell Owens should be able to take advantage of Fred Smoot on the outside, who's decent, but a step below Carlos Rogers. If Shawn Springs plays, that changes. I also think that you can beat Chris Horton deep with double-moves -- that will require good pass protection.

The Commanders are also only 19th in the league defending runs in the middle, which I think is probably the best place to attack them. Kedric Golston is the weaker of their two tackles, which seems like a good place for them to attack.

5. Is Jason Campbell a guy who doesn't screw things up or a primary reason the Commanders are winning?

I think Campbell's a very good quarterback. It seems weird when you consider that they had the infamous 700-page playbook last year, but Campbell's getting to do more this year than the screens and quick hitches that he threw last year. He's in a really good situation -- good receivers, good offensive line, great running back -- but he's succeeding. He's not just checking down, too; he's got a 16.6% DVOA, good for 12th in the league.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
This kind of stuff makes me wish I had a bird. Which would require a cage and in turn something to line it with. Ah well, maybe next year............

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
We've only had 3 PI penalties this year? Why does it seem like we've had so many?

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
Who honestly needed these stats to tell us that? It was blatantly obvious from all the games I've watched him play. He was quickly turning into our LONE star back there during the sufferings TNew has had injury wise. We're fools if we don't welcome him back.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Confirmation that Scandrick is the shiznit. The naked eye would have had me believe that he would be the best statistically of our group -- I didn't realize Pacman's would be that good. Perhaps it was his rocky start that threw me off.

Temo

Reaction score
Hostile;2417594 said:
We've only had 3 PI penalties this year? Why does it seem like we've had so many?

Illegal contact is not DPI.

Yet how many 3rd down stops have we had overturned by Illegal contact? Too many.

Edit: Also, I think Watkins had a DPI, so I think it's 4.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
ajk23az;2417571 said:
Five Downs With Football Outsiders: Adam 'Pacman' Jones has been Cowboys' best cornerback
7:00 AM Fri, Nov 14, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Bill Barnwell, a contributing editor at footballoutsiders.com and one of the minds behind the must-read Pro Football Prospectus, will answer five Cowboys questions each week of the season using the FO data and methodologies. Here's the Week 10 edition:

1. Based on the available FO data, rank the Cowboys cornerbacks in order from best to worst this season.

Anthony Henry
31-of-45 (69 %), 392 yards, 8.7 ypa, 2 PBU, 0 INT, 2 pass interferences

Adam "Pacman" Jones
21-of-42 (50%), 216 yards, 5.1 ypa, 7 PBU, 0 INT, 1 pass interference

Mike Jenkins
22-of-33 (67%), 248 yards, 7.5 ypa, 2 PBU, 1 INT, 0 pass interference

Terence Newman
14-of-17 (82%), 175 yards, 10.3 ypa, 1 PBU, 0 INT, 0 pass interference

Orlando Scandrick
7-of-14 (50%), 85 yards, 6.1 ypa, 0 PBU, 0 INT, 0 pass interference

Alan Ball
2-of-3 (67%), 12 yards, 4.0 ypa, 0 PBU, 0 INT, 0 pass interference

The table above is compiled by the volunteers in our Game Charting Project, who break down every play of the NFL season to capture a myriad of things that aren't recorded in the NFL's official play-by-play. One of those things is to mark who is in coverage on a pass play. While marking who's in coverage is an inexact science without coaches' film, the charters are given specific instructions on what to look for. Note that the numbers above have plays where a defender was flagged for pass interference included as completions with yards added to the player's total.

Starting at the top, as much of a headache as he's been, we continue to see the Adam Jones that steps between the lines on Sunday as an elite corner. The opposition only completed 50% of passes to receivers when he was in coverage, and he allowed only 5.1 yards per attempt. He also had almost as many passes defensed (seven) as the rest of the team's corners combined (eight).

Second would be Mike Jenkins. Now, we're looking at pass coverage here. I'm well-aware of the infamous fake that Jenkins put on himself when he was trying to tackle Derrick Ward. Looking as his numbers in the passing game, Jenkins has been acceptable for a nickel corner. He's been pressed into service as the team's top corner at points, which he's not ready for. Although it was a bit of a fluke, he also has the team's only interception from the cornerback position.

I'll put Anthony Henry third. He's simply allowing too many yards to be a championship-caliber corner -- whether that's because he's allowing too much of a cushion to account for his quad or not, I can't say, but last year, he only allowed six yards per attempt, which was 11th-best in football.

Finally, there's Terence Newman, who returns from sports hernia surgery this week. While it's true that Newman often takes the other team's top receiver (he did so last year at a 50% rate, which was 10th in the league), and he also limits the number of throws that come at him, those metrics are simply unacceptable. Virtually every pass thrown in his direction has been complete, and while he was in coverage on the bomb to Santana Moss in the Commanders' game, he's allowed nine first downs and a touchdown on those 17 attempts, so it's not just one big play that's inflating his numbers.

I think Newman is playing better than those numbers indicate, but he certainly wasn't up to the caliber of the player he needs to be or is being paid like when he was in the lineup.

THANK YOU!

After all those Pacman bashers here on the board i was looking for someone who writes something good about him just because to have someone with the same opinion i have.

Pacman besides his problems (that btw where taken totally out of perspective by most here on this board) was really a great find for us. For a player who sat out more then a year he plays way above what we could have ecpected from him.

I hope he will be reinstated and be welcomed by all of the players. Way to go Adam. Keep up your great work!

Iago33

Reaction score
Hostile;2417594 said:

I'm pretty sure I remember Ball getting an important one--or was it holding?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's hard for me not to think Pac's numbers would average out that way if he hadn't been suspended.

He played five games, correct? If so, then maybe they should stack those games against the players who played the five games he participated in. Or maybe project his numbers for nine games.

Unless I misread the blog, I don't see that.

Also since, Newman missed much of the season, I'm not sure he should be included in that metric, as well.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Seven;2417591 said:
This kind of stuff makes me wish I had a bird. Which would require a cage and in turn something to line it with. Ah well, maybe next year............

No kidding. Pacman was "elite"? Sure didn't look like it to me. Why did teams throw at him so much? He has almost as many attempts as Henry despite missing several games now.

And being the best corner of a bunch of rookies and injured guys isn't all that impressive.

Anyway, I wonder about these stats. There are so many variables in evaluating a corner. Even the author admits that assigning responsibility is very difficult going off the regular TV feed when you have no access to coaching film.

Jay

Reaction score
I didn't understand that other thread with all the Pacman hate--he was a disappointment as a punt returner IMO but as a cornerback he was by far the best cornerback on the team while he was playing. I'm seriously tired of Anthony Henry..

Romo2Dez4six

Touchdown!!!!
Reaction score
Hostile;2417594 said:

safetys wasn't in the list. ithink that has something to do with it:D

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Now, maybe folks will understand why I want to chance having PACMAN back on the team.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2417624 said:
It's hard for me not to think Pac's numbers would average out that way if he hadn't been suspended.

He played five games, correct? If so, then maybe they should stack those games against the players who played the five games he participated in. Or maybe project his numbers for nine games.

Unless I misread the blog, I don't see that.

Also since, Newman missed much of the season, I'm not sure he should be included in that metric, as well.

Chocolate Lab;2417625 said:
No kidding. Pacman was "elite"? Sure didn't look like it to me. Why did teams throw at him so much? He has almost as many attempts as Henry despite missing several games now.

And being the best corner of a bunch of rookies and injured guys isn't all that impressive.

Anyway, I wonder about these stats. There are so many variables in evaluating a corner. Even the author admits that assigning responsibility is very difficult going off the regular TV feed when you have no access to coaching film.

Yep...........HACK.

Temo

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2417625 said:

Pacman looked like the best corner we had the first 6 games of the season.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DMN Blog

The best cornerbacks on the Cowboys
9:25 AM Fri, Nov 14, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Calvin Watkins E-mail News tips

Football Outsiders did a nice job of breaking down the cornerbacks on the Cowboys. I would agree that Pacman Jones has been the best corner this season. But I believe Orlando Scandrick has been the second best.

Here's how I would rank the corners.

1. Pacman Jones. Yes, he freelances but he still leads the team with 11 passes defensed.

2. Orlando Scandrick. Covers wideouts in the slot on the nickel. Is good in zone coverage.

3. Anthony Henry. Not popular with the fans. But hasn't missed any games due to injury.

4. Mike Jenkins. Still learning the position. Dave Campo loves him, maybe next year Jenkins will show you what he can do.

5. Terence Newman. The last time Mr. Newman was on the field, Santana Moss was pointing to the back of his jersey.

Comments (0) Leave comment | E-mail entry

TwentyOne

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2417638 said:
Now, maybe folks will understand why I want to chance having PACMAN back on the team.

They don't belvie me. Just look at the posts here. People here are prejudiced when it comes to Adam Jones. They don't care about facts.