News: DMN: Gosselin: Cowboys can find upgrade at any position with their first-round pick

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I think you tend to overspend for what ever buy these days but esp in FA.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
First - I'm not sure of the difference between paying a competitive salary for a position of need and over spending.

Second - we didn't overspend on Hardy at all. It was heavily incentive based.

Third - i've got no problem spending good money on a safety.

Fourth - I don't know if we will make a splash or not but Stephen has already said we would be active in free agency.

black label

Reaction score
First - I'm not sure of the difference between paying a competitive salary for a position of need and over spending.

Fourth - I don't know if we will make a splash or not but Stephen has already said we would be active in free agency.

latest

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
So, we should draft a left tackle and it will be an upgrade? center, right guard?

I don't see a OG or center with a first round talent now the question is if one of the top OT is there do you take him and use him at RT considering your passing an all pro at LT and would be crazy to switch Tyron back to the right side

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I expect them to be active in FA, but will still not overspend as usual. Look for the depth type players again. But hopefully they are more solid players than the last several years or more type impact.

For once I would like to see a good solid starting player that has some experience, not a low radar type guy that is a ST's type. We need productive players, not what they think are hidden gems.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
So, we should draft a left tackle and it will be an upgrade? center, right guard? Dude is drunk blogging again.

Perhaps he meant position groups. From OL, Cowboys could upgrade RT.

dallasdave

Reaction score
SportsDay columnist Rick Gosselin hosted a chat Monday to talk all things sports. Here are some of the highlights:

Question: Do the Cowboys take Joey Bosa if he is still on the board at No. 4? Not sure if Wentz makes it to the second round with the hype he is attracting.

Gosselin: If I'm not drafting a quarterback, I'm taking the best player on my board when I go on the clock. If it's Bosa, fine. If it's Hargraeves, fine. If it's Elliott, fine. There are enough needy areas on this depth chart that the Cowboys don't have to reach to fill a hole. Whatever player they take will be an upgrade.

Question: Do you think the lack of success by Melvin Gordon (SD) will keep teams from drafting a RB in the first round? Obviously Todd Gurley is a special player, but Gordon was considered a very safe pick.

Gosselin: If Gordon was considered that safe a pick he would have been drafted in the Top 10, like Gurley. I think Gordon will have less of an impact in drafting this April than the success of backs drafted in the middle rounds -- Tevin Coleman (3rd) David Johnson (3rd), Matt Jones (3rd round) and Karlos Williams (5th) were mid-round picks who had 100-yard games this season. Fourth-rounder Jeremy Langford led the Bears with seven touchdowns (Bears). The NFL has become such a passing league that there's a feeling you don't have to look for an RB in the first round. You can find a quality running back -- an impact running back -- in the middle rounds.

Question: Do you expect the Cowboys to make a big splash in the upcoming free agent pool?

Gosselin: No. The big splash last season was Greg Hardy and he was a minor splash during the season with just six sacks. The Cowboys believed they were one player away from the Super Bowl a year ago and figured a pass rusher -- Hardy -- was that guy. This team is no longer one player away from the Super Bowl. So, no, I don't expect to see overspending done on any one particular player or position. In free agency, you always seem to overspend for what you want.

Click here to read the full chat transcript.

Continue reading...

Good read

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score

I think we will be active in FA....up to a point. QB, WR, OL esp C, DL, LB, CB and S. You might as well put RB here, too. QB is a safe bet. I'll wager CB and/or S, too.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I doubt they want to take a quarterback with a Top 5 pick because neither Jerry Jones nor Tony Romo are getting any younger. Both want to win now -- and drafting a quarterback for the future doesn't make the Cowboys a better team for that purpose in 2016.
Don't you need to take a long term view of your team when drafting players? That seems like a rather odd way of approaching a draft when you are drafting so high unless the value just isn't there.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tevin Coleman (3rd) David Johnson (3rd), Matt Jones (3rd round) and Karlos Williams (5th) were mid-round picks who had 100-yard games this season. Fourth-rounder Jeremy Langford led the Bears with seven touchdowns (Bears). The NFL has become such a passing league that there's a feeling you don't have to look for an RB in the first round. You can find a quality running back -- an impact running back -- in the middle rounds.
I don't see us going RB until the 3rd round unless we trade down and have multiple picks in the 2nd round. A lot will depend on what kind of vet we sign in free agency. Also, to be fair, the RB's mentioned only got playing time because the starter was injured.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Perhaps he meant position groups. From OL, Cowboys could upgrade RT.
Perhaps it was just a quick two-line answer in a chat, and if you said, "What about center?", he'd say, "well, yeah, that's an exception." People read way too much into these things. But his larger point is right. There's no reason we shouldn't be taking BPA early and often in this draft.

Reactions: BAT