News: DMN: Jason Witten on Martellus Bennett throwing shade his way: 'He enjoys entertaining'

AbeBeta

Reaction score
1.4 catches a game in Dallas.

4.4 catches a game since he left.

He probably should hate Romo as he never threw him the ball. Bennett was on the field a ton during his time here. He may be the best blocking TE in the game.

superonyx

Reaction score
I can't blame Witten for not going out of his way to help train someone who may replace him. It would be strange for someone to actually do that. Especially when Witten still planned to play for so many years.

There is a reason Martelus Bennett has been on several teams and has burned bridges everywhere he has played. It had nothing to do with Witten and everything to do with the brain in Marty B.'s head.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Bennett was the anti-Witten in just about every regard. I couldn't tell you how hard Bennett did or did not work, but he was such a goofball publicly that it fed into the perception that he didn't take the job seriously. He very well could have been working his tail off. More importantly, imagine he and Witten coexisting in the tight ends room. Talk about the Odd Couple.

Witten likely struggled to relate with and/or mentor a player who approached things like Bennett, and Bennett likely struggled to take advice from a player who was so different.

I think there have been other articles quoting Bennett about how he hated always being told to "be like Witten!" Bennett could have undoubtedly learned a lot about the game by trying to be like Bennett, but that's also likely a difficult message to live by when you're a 22-year-old.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
1.4 catches a game in Dallas.

4.4 catches a game since he left.

He probably should hate Romo as he never threw him the ball. Bennett was on the field a ton during his time here. He may be the best blocking TE in the game.

To me, the strangest thing about the last decade of Cowboys Football has been our fascination to draft a 2nd TE early to seemingly create this two-tight end threat -- a la the Patriots from years ago, and again today -- followed by our complete and utter inability to deploy such a system.

And you can't just say the reason is because we drafted bad players. Look at Bennett, who has become a tremendous player.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I think there have been other articles quoting Bennett about how he hated always being told to "be like Witten!" Bennett could have undoubtedly learned a lot about the game by trying to be like Bennett, but that's also likely a difficult message to live by when you're a 22-year-old.
High and tight Martellus.

I get how he could resent that and being told to not be himself. But that is more on the staff. I don't know what else may have happened to create the bitter feelings. All in all, one player will be in the Hall of Fame. The other will be a player that could never stick anywhere because he was a clown.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Witten had to self-lobotomize to get to Bennett's level.

I doubt Demarco Murray had much to say to Joseph Randle either. You think Romo bothered much with Stephen Magee?

Or Kyle Orton?

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
I'd love to hear his real thoughts.
I wouldn't be surprised if those are his real thoughts. He's just a classy competitor, he knows that competition can often lead to one guy feeling miffed, and I'm sure he doesn't take any of it personal or feel any sort of way about Bennett.

Alexander

Reaction score
To me, the strangest thing about the last decade of Cowboys Football has been our fascination to draft a 2nd TE early to seemingly create this two-tight end threat -- a la the Patriots from years ago, and again today -- followed by our complete and utter inability to deploy such a system.

And you can't just say the reason is because we drafted bad players. Look at Bennett, who has become a tremendous player.
I don't think that they know how to do it and above all else, have the patience.

Bennett was a good player, Fasano has stuck around and been respectable.

They simply stole the idea from Belichick/Parcells/Perkins/Erhardt.

It is not easy to pull off. It took the Patriots several attempts to get it done.

They should have called it a day after Bennett. The Escobar pick made even less sense due to his inability to block.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
High and tight Martellus.

I get how he could resent that and being told to not be himself. But that is more on the staff. I don't know what else may have happened to create the bitter feelings. All in all, one player will be in the Hall of Fame. The other will be a player that could never stick anywhere because he was a clown.

I think the only team that moved on from him was the Bears though wasn't it? Didn't the Cowboys and Giants offer him a contract?

Alexander

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if those are his real thoughts. He's just a classy competitor, he knows that competition can often lead to one guy feeling miffed, and I'm sure he doesn't take any of it personal or feel any sort of way about Bennett.
I guess that is nice to imagine, but there was some hateful stuff going on in that time period.

Started with Owens/Crayton/Bennett/Ray Sherman versus the Romo/Witten/Garrett clique.

Alexander

Reaction score
I think the only team that moved on from him was the Bears though wasn't it? Didn't the Cowboys and Giants offer him a contract?
Giants tried to keep him. I honestly can't recall the Cowboys trying very hard.

Reaction score
Witten is an alpha dog. He saw Martellus as a threat, so he didn't want to give him an edge.

I can see how Martellus could be salty, but at the same time.... you could've got better by just watching Witten work. He had a front row seat.

I remember stories about Witten trying to teach him things and he wouldn't listen, he didn't want to "do things like Witten" so Jason just gave up on him, why waste his time? Dallas and Chicago wasted a lot of money and time getting Marty to this point and then Belichick swoops in at the end to finally get solid production out of him... lol, that Belichick really is a genius.

Last edited:

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
I guess that is nice to imagine, but there was some hateful stuff going on in that time period.

Started with Owens/Crayton/Bennett/Ray Sherman versus the Romo/Witten/Garrett clique.
Touchè, almost forgot about that debacle. Regardless, I don't really remember Witten himself talking much trash, though I could be wrong. Seemed more like baseless jealousy on the part of the Owens/Bennett crowd.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As a completely-straight male father of two in a loving and committed relationship, I'd be hard pressed not to leave my wife and marry Jason Witten if he and Tony ever broke up and he for some reason wanted me to.