News: DMN: Jimmy Johnson: Jerry Jones told me I'll be in Cowboys' 'Ring of Honor'

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
And rightfully so!!!

Jimma should be a slam dunk.

I will toast you, Jimma, cause you are the best!

OhSnap

Reaction score
The only good thing that Jerry ever did. And go and get the players that Jimmy wanted. Jerry was a good owner then. That's what he needs to do now.

Yes he's definitely under estimated the value of a a coach with fire in his belly.

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 1m
Jerry Jones asked on @1053thefan about Jimmy Johnson possibly going into the Ring of Honor: "I have no comments about that."

So if we translate this in my pea brain. "If I put him in the ROH, I will be admitting he was responsible for the Super Bowls in the 90s". I know I am reading into it, but JJ just seems to want to prove he is a football guy

khiladi

Reaction score
I've heard from somewhere that Bill Walsh said if not for it, the Cowboys would have rattled off like 6 or 7 straight SBs. I remember, because of the depth Jimmy built, the defense would be throwing people in on every down and just running over people. Commentators use to rave about the speed that JJ brought back to the defense, having guys that could pursue anybody across the whole field, including laterally. The intensity was just a sight to behold.

khiladi

Reaction score
If the refs called that obvious PI on Deion against Irvin when they were making their comeback, the 49ers would not have won. It was right in front of the ref too, clear arm bar. The Cowboysspotted the 49ers and were making what would go down as one of the most phenomenal comebacks ever. The 49ers and their godfather were just dying for the refs to blow the whistle.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
They may be friends but there is definitely a sense of one upmanship between these two.

Jerry definitely seems to convey that feeling. Even all these years later!

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson says Jerry Jones has told him that he will be installed in the Cowboys' "Ring of Honor." The question, however, remains when.

"Actually, Jerry told me three years ago that he was going to put me in the Ring of Honor,” Johnson said.

Johnson, whose Cowboys coaching reign grows brighter with each ensuring season, tells that to host Dave Barnett on Tuesday's installment of Fox Sports Southwest's "Icons of Coaching."

Continue reading...

Jimmy should say "I'll accept when Jerry resigns as GM."

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson was so awesome, they had to invent free agency to destroy that dynasty.

And the salary cap. The Cowboys could outspend the poorer teams and always be on top of the football world.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Jerry tells the fans the team is a contender every year... so we know he has no problem lying in someone's face.

Repeatedly.

Next Years Champ

Reaction score
So if we translate this in my pea brain. "If I put him in the ROH, I will be admitting he was responsible for the Super Bowls in the 90s". I know I am reading into it, but JJ just seems to want to prove he is a football guy

And that he controls everything including the RofH.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I roll my eyes every time I see someone say, "Bring Jimmy back..."

Different era plus the guy is way too comfortable on his fishing boat...

Your kidding me right? Whats the new era? The era for coaching idiots like Garrett? This guy could get us to 11 wins face timing from his boat.

Deep_South

Reaction score
It's hard to take the Ring of Honor seriously without Jimmy Johnson's name up there. Jerry finally came to his senses with Drew Pearson, so maybe he'll figure out eventually his intransigence just makes him look small and enhances Jimmy's reputation as the only person who could build a Super Bowl winning team with Jerry in the house. :(

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score

So true.....if somehow Jerry ever got a Super Bowl win without Jimmy he would put Jimmy in the next year

cowboys1981

Reaction score
Jimmy doesn't need his name on any wall. His name will never be forgotten by his fans and his legacy will outlive us. People will remember him for what he did for this franchise. He's the perfect example of how to tear and build a championship team. He had the guts to sever ties with players for the better of the franchise; which is what instilled a no nonsense environment. Jerry could learn a lot from Jimmy.