DMN JJT Blog: A real offensive debate: Which Cowboys' team had the best offense?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A real offensive debate: Which Cowboys' team had the best offense?

10:40 AM Sat, Sep 27, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Jean-Jacques Taylor http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

The more you watch the Cowboys' offense, the more you feel compelled to ask whether it's the best in franchise history?

It's a legitimate question for a franchise synonymouswith offense. Since the NFL merger in 1970, the Cowboys' offense has ranked among the top 10 25 times. Three times, Dallas finished No.1.

In a couple of years, Emmitt Smith will make it six offensive players in the Hall of Fame, and the number should swell to eight when Bob Hayes and Larry Allen eventually get in as they should.

Still, trying to determine whether the 2008 Cowboys have the best offense in this franchise's illustrious history is difficult.

Is it absurd to think they will be better then the 1992 Cowboys with Troy, Emmitt and Michael? Or what about the 1978 team with Roger Staubach and Tony Dorsett?

I'll start the discussion and you can continue it for as long as you like. By the way, here's a look at my top five offenses in franchise history:

1978: Unparalleled versatility and offensive balance - until now - with Hall of Famers at running back and quarterback

1992: Michael Irvin and Troy Aikman are already in the Hall of Fame and Emmitt Smith will soon join them

2008: Tony Romo, Marion Barber, Terrell Owens and Jason Witten along with backups such Felix Jones and Miles Austin make this the best quick-strike offense in franchise history

1966: Bob Hayes was the NFL's most explosive weapon for this offense, which ranked first in the NFL

1986: With Herschel Walker and Tony Dorsett in the backfield, this might have been the best in franchise history, if Danny White hadn't suffered a season-ending wrist injury halfway through the season.

Give me your top five.

I'm sure some of you will have the 95 team with Michael and Emmitt setting career highs. Or the 2007 team that was phenomenal. The 1983 team scored 479 points, but had 10 returns for touchdowns.

Fire away. Let's have some thoughtful debate.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
1) 92-95 Cowboys...best QB, best RB, best WR, best receiving TE and best OL in the league during that time. Most teams knew all our plays and still couldnt do anything about it. Biggest factor choosing them #1- they were even better in the postseason than they were in the regular season

2) 77-79 Cowboys...great QB, great RB, excellent WR's, excellent TE, excellent OL...also went to super bowls and won one (and should have won two)

3) Current Cowboys...great QB, great RB's, great WR and TE, excllent OL...all they need now is to finish the job in December and January

4) 80-83 Cowboys...powerful offense scored tons of points..just couldnt finish the job in January

I didnt see any of the Cowboys teams prior to 1975

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
dbair1967;2288846 said:
1) 92-95 Cowboys...best QB, best RB, best WR, best receiving TE and best OL in the league during that time. Most teams knew all our plays and still couldnt do anything about it. Biggest factor choosing them #1- they were even better in the postseason than they were in the regular season

2) 77-79 Cowboys...great QB, great RB, excellent WR's, excellent TE, excellent OL...also went to super bowls and won one (and should have won two)

3) Current Cowboys...great QB, great RB's, great WR and TE, excllent OL...all they need now is to finish the job in December and January

4) 80-83 Cowboys...powerful offense scored tons of points..just couldnt finish the job in January

I didnt see any of the Cowboys teams prior to 1975

No reason to reinvent the wheel. I agree with thos poster's comments. No way the 92-95 isn't the greatest in our history. We may have more big plays now, but that's by design. We pounded teams in the early 90's and then used Irvin, Novacek, and our other receivers (Harper, etc.) to kill defenses when they stacked the box. Basically, we were unstoppable then.

Ken

Reaction score
I think this team has a chance to be the best offense. Certainly statwise..

I also think this team's talent rivals our 90s teams. I just have serious reservations about whether they have the intestinal fortitude of those teams.