DMN JJT Blog: Emmitt Smith: Eight-man fronts don't stop good running backs

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Canadian BoyzFan;2305618 said:
EZ there Francis.

I am just tired of ex Cowboys who all think they are experts on this club. Yes Emmitt was great, but until he signs up as a coach for the club, I could care less what he thinks about Garrett or Barber or TO.

Yeah, we should value your opinion over his. After all what experience does he have to speak of with this club.:lmao: Not to mention he's right.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
AKATheRake;2305609 said:
That's the man who owns the greatest stats of all time at the RB position and has to be considered one of the best ever at the position. I'm tired of hearing about Emmitt only being as good as he was because of his line. You heard what made him great just there, his ability to gain yardage even against 8 man fronts. Watch a lot of his footage and see how he ran inside the tackles and then was able to find a way to find the open space at the LB and DB level. He always hit the right holes and found the ones that were evolving beyond the line. Watch this video and tell me on a lot of these plays that it was the line that got him that yardage. If anyone watched Emmitt run during his career they would know that he is definitely one of the greatest players ever, not just at the RB position. Emmitt was the best player on our SB teams for a long time, tell me who was better? Watch the link below, it'll show you what I'm talking about.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ITpe-AIztco

look Francis;) I'm really starting to enjoy your posts.:)

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
ZeroClub;2305477 said:
The man makes a good point.

Yes, you CANNOT let the defense dictate what you do on offense all the time. Everyone that knows anything about football knows this. Sometimes you just have to kick the *** of the guy in front of you. You know......football, physical, etc.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
JeffInDC;2305534 said:
Exactly. Sure, Barber may have kept running into a loaded pile at a clip of 3.25 for the first 8 carries. But, what generally happens when you pound a team long enough? They get tired. That's when you see the good backs bust through the 8 man front and start picking up huge chunks of yardage. Why? Because, once they finally break through that line, there is no one back there to stop them (see Emmitt's 62-yard TD romp in the rain against Philly as a classic example - once he got through the line, there was NOBODY back there to stop him).

Another excellent post!!!!! There were many times back in the 90's when Emmitt and the running game in general was stopped in the first quarter or first half of a game. But, we continued to run the ball and pound the defense and it almost always paid off in the long run. Giving up on the run so early is a sign of a lack of confidence in the offensive line and the backs. Either that or just plain ole bad play-calling. You can never abandon the run. We did the same thing in the playoff loss to the Giants last January and it cost us then as well.

Nav22

Reaction score
Look At Me......i Was The Best Running Back Ever.
Look at me... I was easily the most successful RB ever. Best schmest, Emmitt did the most.

I don't care about Isaac Newton's IQ, I care about what he accomplished with whatever IQ he possessed.