DMN JJT: On Felix Jones and Tashard Choice

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Felix Jones is forcing me to re-think my position

8:10 AM Tue, Aug 12, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Jean-Jacques Taylor http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

I decided to spend some time talking to running backs coach Skip Peete about his rookie running back to see if after studying videotape he was impressed with Jones as I was.

His answer: Yes.

I didn't like the Cowboys drafting Jones over Rashard Mendenhall because you should never take a complementary back over a guy who can be an every-down back. Jones is making me re-think my position, though you have to keep things in perspective because it was just one preseason game.
Still, he was terrific.

The difference between Jones and Julius Jones: wriggle. Felix has it and Julius didn't.

Julius had good quickness and excellent straightline speed. Felix has the ability to plant, cut and accelerate so quickly that he hits top speed again in a matter of seconds. That's what the Cowboys saw on film, but that's not what gives him a chance to be a big-play performer in the NFL.

"Most guys can only see the linebacker, when they get to the second level. They make a move on him and then focus on the safety," Peete said. "Felix has the ability - the vision - to see the linebacker and the safety at the same time.

"When he's putting a move on the linebacker, he's also setting up the safety. That's why he had so many big runs at Arkansas."

Jason Garrett also showed he's going to do a nice job of consistently getting the ball to Jones in space, where he's one-on-one with defenders, which is going to put tremendoujs stress on the defense.

Tashard Choice is impressive for the Dallas Cowboys too

8:31 AM Tue, Aug 12, 2008 | Permalink
Jean-Jacques Taylor http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

Choice is not a flashy runner like Felix Jones. Or a brute like Marion Barber.
But running backs coach Skip Peete likes his style because he's always falling forward.

"I liked the way he ran inside against San Diego. I wasn't surprised, but it was good to see him do it," Peete said. "You look at the film and it looks like he's going down, but he gets four yards.

"You look at another play and it looks like he's going down and he gets three yards. Then when the linebacker overruns a play, he makes a backside cut and takes it to the house."

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/images/ice3/icons/blog.gif Comments (0) Leave comment | TrackBack (0) | http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail entry

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
"because you should never take a complementary back over a guy who can be an every-down back."

That's exactly why Dallas drafted him........................We have the every down back.

DFWJC

Reaction score
It's always impressive to me to see someone who admits that they may have misjudged something. For sure 100% of us have missed many times on our analysis of prospects...some more than others, but all of us have missed plenty of times.

I have no idea if Felix will be a better pro than Mendenhall, but I can sure see why he would fit our plans better.

Seven

Reaction score
DFWJC;2188935 said:
It's always impressive to me to see someone who admits that they may have misjudged something. For sure 100% of us have missed many times on our analysis of prospects...some more than others, but all of us have missed plenty of times.

Not me............Petitti wasn't given a fair shot. :cool:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If Dallas can put together a consistent running game where we are looking at 2nd short and 3rd short it will make the passing attack just that much stronger than last year when Dallas was forced to overcome many long yardage situations

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Seven;2188943 said:
Not me............Petitti wasn't given a fair shot. :cool:

So why did the Rams also cut Rob Petitti? He's still fairly young and has a chance to make a team as a back up, but his chances of starting in this league are slim to none.

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
Fletch;2188963 said:
So why did the Rams also cut Rob Petitti? He's still fairly young and has a chance to make a team as a back up, but his chances of starting in this league are slim to none.

Note the Sarcastic face next to the post. Rob got a good shot with Dallas, but the team felt that he just was not good enough.

dmoore

Reaction score
I'm really liking our stable of running backs. Felix should be a nice new toy for the offense, and I think Choice could be solid if Felix or Barber have to miss time.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Choice looked like a young Emmitt Smith out there as far as similar build and style. I think he will end up being a nice addition in Dallas.

Seven

Reaction score
Phrozen Phil;2188967 said:
Note the Sarcastic face next to the post. Rob got a good shot with Dallas, but the team felt that he just was not good enough.

Thanks Phil...........

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Seven;2188932 said:
"because you should never take a complementary back over a guy who can be an every-down back."

That's exactly why Dallas drafted him........................We have the every down back.

And that's exactly why you shouldn't do it. It will work out this time because Jones looks like he's more of an everydown back than a complimentary one. And I means looks like not is yet.

Mendenhall appears to be an all everything. We won't know whether we should have passed on him or not. Right now I'd say its a wash.

But if MB goes down and Felix wears down over the season you'll not be thinking that. TC might make that not a disaster but you know even less with him. I think he might be a better JJ but we don't know a thing yet.

The money is still on Mendenhall right now. In three years we'll know a lot more.

Right now the maxim still stands.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Seven;2188932 said:

And that's exactly why you shouldn't do it. It appears it will work out this time because Jones looks like he's more of an everydown back than a complimentary one. And I means looks like not is yet.

Mendenhall appears to be an all everything. We won't know whether we should have passed on him or not. Right now I'd say its a wash.

But if MB goes down and Felix wears down over the season you'll not be thinking that. TC might make that not a disaster but you know even less with him. I think he might be a better JJ but we don't know a thing yet.

The money is still on Mendenhall right now. In three years we'll know a lot more.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
jobberone;2189039 said:
And that's exactly why you shouldn't do it. It will work out this time because Jones looks like he's more of an everydown back than a complimentary one. And I means looks like not is yet.

That's what I was thinking, Jones looks like he could eventually become an every-down back. The only reason he is considered a complementary back now is because we are LOADED at the position!

Sure beats the days of Tool Hambone, doesn't it?

cowboys2233

Reaction score
cowboys2233;2189045 said:
That's what I was thinking, Jones looks like he could eventually become an every-down back. The only reason he is considered a complementary back now is because we are LOADED at the position!

Sure beats the days of Tool Hambone, doesn't it?

Speaking of which, I was damn impressed from what I saw of McFadden the other night -- that dude is large and in charge. Reminds me more of Eric Dickerson every time I see him play.

aikemirv

Reaction score
jobberone;2189041 said:
And that's exactly why you shouldn't do it. It appears it will work out this time because Jones looks like he's more of an everydown back than a complimentary one. And I means looks like not is yet.

Mendenhall was a one year wonder who had character concerns. Felix was the exact opposite. This is not the same old NFL where you pound it down the other teams throats. You better have some firepower and other ways to attack your opponent or you are not going to win.

Mendenhall was no more of a good pick than Jones. Felix has plenty of size to be an every down back if you needed it. I still don't know how you could watch both of them run and say that Mendenhall is the better runner. Just because he did not split time?

lkelly

Reaction score
Sounds like they drafted Choice to be the second family car so they could justify spending the money on a motorcycle for weekends. So far it looks like Choice is a nice player so they may get away with it.

Speaking of backup running backs, was anyone else really impressed with the Chargers' 4th stringer Marcus Thomas the other night? That guy was breaking tackles left and right and would usually push the pile a good 5 yards. I have no idea how he's looked in camp, but I was shocked.

Jaxonsdaddd

Reaction score
The only reason that some fans got upset with Felix over Mendenhall is because some sports writers in draft mags had Mendenhall higher.

If you look at character, college career and versatility then Felix is your man. If you pick up 5 draft mags in March and make a mental list of whos rated higher then you will be disappointed with picking Felix.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Jaxonsdaddd;2189101 said:
The only reason that some fans got upset with Felix over Mendenhall is because some sports writers in draft mags had Mendenhall higher.

If you look at character, college career and versatility then Felix is your man. If you pick up 5 draft mags in March and make a mental list of whos rated higher then you will be disappointed with picking Felix.
Not to mention the fits thrown by some local Big Ten homers like JJT and Albert Breer.