DMN Media Blog: Phil Simms to Cowboys: Fear the Bengals

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
The Titans played the Bengals on the road, and dominated them (24-7). It was very windy, but still, the Bengals were man handled by the physical Titans.

One reason the Giants had trouble with them is because Chris Perry ran for 74 yards on 20 carries and scored a TD. That doesn't sound like too much, but those yards moved the chains for the Bengals and made them two dimensional. It allowed the Bengals to run the ball on first and second down and limit the number of times Palmer had to throw the ball and expose their suspect pass protection. Another reason is T.J. Houshmandzadeh. He went off. (12-146-1) Carson Plamer did a horendous job of clock management at the end of the game where the Bengals could have won in regulation. Also, the Bengals were 10-17 on third down against the Giants.

Here is what the Titans did to Perry, Houshmandzadeh, and Palmer.

Housh. 3-26-0

Perry 21-61-1 3.0 YPC

3rd down: The Bengals were 3-13 on third down.

Palmer 16-27-134 2 Int.

If Dallas shuts down Chris Perry and T.J. Houshmandzadeh and gets off the field on third down, they will crush them. The Bengals couldn't protect Palmer when they played the Titans, and they didn't have the time to throw the ball down the field. I've watched Palmer, and he throws the ball high sometimes. He gets receivers hit, and one of his two picks against the Titans was high. Watch this. I think Dallas will get an opportunity to finally get a pick or two this week.

Also, the Bengals' defense is no match for the Cowboys' offense. They will get torched through the air. Their corners will not hold up. Furthermore, the Bengals gave up a 51 yard run to Chris Johnson on a draw. Johnson had 109 yards on them. Ward, the speed RB for the Giants, had 80 yards on only 9 carries.

If Dallas wears them down with Barber, Felix Jones will be in a position to deliver the knock out blow in this game. I look for Felix to break off a long TD in this game. The Bengals speed on defense appears to be suspect. You could hurt them with Felix early, too. However, look for the Green Bay game plan. The Packers were worn down, and Felix stunned them with a long one.

I like Dallas, big. It will get ugly. I think they take their frustration out on the Bengals.