News: DMN: National writer ranks all 32 NFL cornerback units, and the results aren't good for the...

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Any of our units top 20 besides oline? Doubt it. Qb is and maybe receivers.

Over half of the Cowboys offensive starters rank in the top ten at their respective positions league wide (Romo, Dez, Witten, Tyron, Zach, and Fred). That's not even counting Ezekiel Elliott and La'el Collins.

Look, I get you don't want your feelings hurt, hence all the "expect the worst" Eeyore rhetoric. But let's be sensible.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
If Romo and Dez stay healthy and Zeke has the year we all think he will, the defense will be better. Please stop looking at defense in a bubble. Teams will have to take chances against us as we control the ball and score points with our running game and our high percentage passing this will lead to more take aways and more sacks. The defense will be able to make more chances leading to more sacks and more turnovers. When you are in the midst of a 16 week grind you play harder and better when you believe you have a real chance for the playoffs again leading to better defense. The defense will be fresher having to play fewer plays thanks to offensive ball control leading to better defensive play. etc. etc. etc.

The 2016 defense will be more talented than the 2014 defense, as long as we don't have a terrible string of injuries, and the 2014 defense was good enough to get us to 12-4 and a blown call from the NFC championship game against a team we had already beaten.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Well this is stat based, so doesnt mean much.
also it is for last year, and 2016 is a new year.
Scandrick back , jones at safety,cedric on the dl, along with some other new guys , no telling how they or any other team
will do.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Over half of the Cowboys offensive starters rank in the top ten at their respective positions league wide (Romo, Dez, Witten, Tyron, Zach, and Fred). That's not even counting Ezekiel Elliott and La'el Collins.

Look, I get you don't want your feelings hurt, hence all the "expect the worst" Eeyore rhetoric. But let's be sensible.

True my problem is with the defense and coaching staff. We're a good team I know that I just don't have much hope for them to keep it together ih the playoffs.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Well, some of our fans are adamantly against drafting CB's high; we've had a horrible track record finding CB's in the mid to later rounds; our pass rush is mediocre at best because we don't have a single stud at DE---we have some youth, we have potential, we have crazy hope, but the fact is we don't have a single guy anywhere along the DL who wins 1-1 consistently. And we have a DC who doesn't like to blitz or run a lot of exotic schemes.

Even without the suspensions, this defense scares no one in the NFL.

Philly has Cox.
Skins have Kerrigan.
Giants have a scary group.

We have DeMarcus Lawrence and Tyrone Crawford trying to make a name for themselves.

It is what it is, and any time the offense struggles, it will be a long afternoon for Cowboys fans.

Reminds me of the OL position really. Before we drafted Tyron, we didn't want to draft OL high but since our track record was so horrible in drafting OL late, we went ahead and started drafting them high. Our late CBs have mostly been failures and really most of our pickups at CB have been failures. Something has to change in how we evaluate the position and our D in general.

I don't mind drafting DL later cause we have had alot of success doing that. But with our secondary, we have to do something different, cause what we are doing isn't working. Funny, our best secondary members (Bryon and OScan) have superior athletic skills, but when we try to go outside the norm (Church and Mo), we fail. Deion wouldn't have been great if he wasn't that fast and athletic, seems like we would have figured that out by now cause it was obvious from the beginning Mo wasn't that type of athlete (although I do have hope for him this year).

sideon

Reaction score
Well, some of our fans are adamantly against drafting CB's high; we've had a horrible track record finding CB's in the mid to later rounds; our pass rush is mediocre at best because we don't have a single stud at DE---we have some youth, we have potential, we have crazy hope, but the fact is we don't have a single guy anywhere along the DL who wins 1-1 consistently. And we have a DC who doesn't like to blitz or run a lot of exotic schemes.

Even without the suspensions, this defense scares no one in the NFL.

Philly has Cox.
Skins have Kerrigan.
Giants have a scary group.

We have DeMarcus Lawrence and Tyrone Crawford trying to make a name for themselves.

It is what it is, and any time the offense struggles, it will be a long afternoon for Cowboys fans.

Lawrence and Crawford have made names for themselves.