DMN on Watkins

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
note--somebody here said Watkisn was benched in the 2nd half, he was not...he was hurt:

DMN - Watkins is off to a nice start

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Watkins is off to a nice start

By TERRY BLOUNT / The Dallas Morning News

It wasn't perfect, but Cowboys coach Bill Parcells said rookie Pat Watkins solidified his spot as the starting free safety after his NFL debut at Jacksonville.

"I'd say for the most part it was OK for his first time out," Parcells said. "He had five tackles and only had one mental error. He didn't have a lot of business, but he did pretty well."

Watkins, a rare 6-5 defensive back, was the Cowboys' fifth-round draft choice out of Florida State. He beat out Keith Davis in training camp for the starting job.

Parcells felt the coaches might have given Watkins a little too much to handle in his first game.

"We probably played him a little too much on special teams," Parcells said. "We weren't using him full time on defense because we had a couple of substituted packages there. But for the most part, I have to be pretty happy with him."

Davis replaced Watkins in the fourth quarter when Watkins got hit on the elbow, but Parcells said Watkins is fine.

lspain1

Reaction score
We need this defense to step it up this week. Washington's offense seems as good as or better than Jacksonville's.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Watkins may have been the best pick we made in this draft in terms of value and need. He did a pretty good job on Sunday. One of the key catches Matt Jones made late in the game was because Watkins was out and Jones was being covered by Aaron Glenn which resulted in a serious size mismatch that the Jags exploited.

He still looked like a rookie at times but his size and athleticism give him an advantage that will cover up a lot of mistakes. I am very excited about having this kid on the team and feel like he will be a good one for us for a long time to come. :starspin

alancdc

Reaction score
I thought Washington's offense looked pretty average until the last drive. Brunell had like 163 yards passing, and probably 50 of that came on the last drive. However, I will say that as opposed to our QB he didn't kill them with any int's. I would be worried this week about reverses with Ware getting cought up inside too often. They weren't effective running the ball, but Minn has a pretty good d front.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
I don't remember seeing him much on pass plays, some but not much.

I do move around a lot during games that close though, so maybe I missed him.:D

I hope this does enable Roy to play up closer to the LOS.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
lspain1 said:
We need this defense to step it up this week. Washington's offense seems as good as or better than Jacksonville's.

Washington's offense doesn't scare me in the least. I don't think that game was called well. Without the help of the Viking's 18 penalties, the skins wouldn't have had a chance.

However, we also seemed prone to some ill-timed penalties, so...

Frozen700

Reaction score
i guarentee if they throw a bomb to watkins side..its picked off....non of thier recivers are bigger than our corners except Lolyd whos only 6-3.....

we better keep newman on mosss...n kep glenns ******* off of him..glenn loves to guess to much..n gets burnt

Frozen700

Reaction score
fanfromvirginia said:
I, too, would be happier with someone a bit taller. Ralph Sampson?

lmao.....i kno u guys are joking about him being short

superpunk

Reaction score
fanfromvirginia said:
I, too, would be happier with someone a bit taller. Ralph Sampson?

Maybe Geoffrey.

Fishing_Derby_-_Geoffrey_Giraffe.JPG

All that, and Toys?

cowboys19

Reaction score
Watkins reminds me of a safety that wont make spectacular plays, but will play solid throughout his career, and not give up alot of deep passes.

Watching him in college i thought he didnt give 100% all the time, but it seems like he has changed since he got to the NFL

GL Pat

BigDave95

Reaction score
superpunk said:
He's a little short for my tastes at the FS spot, but I'll deal.

I think this guy is still available...

http://i55.***BLOCKED***/albums/g152/dbeard95/manutebol.jpg

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Moss took a beating last week and after that seemed afraid to make any plays. I bet he stays away from the middle of the field while Williams is roaming. I wouldn't mind seeing him get punked again and see Watkins nab a deep pass to Moss either! :suxskins: