DMN: Still not sure who the holder is

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Still not sure who the holder is
2:17 PM Mon, Nov 10, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer E-mail News tips

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/FolkHolder-thumb-250x219.jpg

The Cowboys are still working through who will hold for kicker Nick Folk on Sunday.

The candidates are Patrick Crayton, Sam Paulescu and - amazingly - Brad Johnson. Coach Wade Phillips said he is considering keeping three quarterbacks active on the game day roster just so Johnson can hold. Given how valuable the 45-man roster is on Sunday, I can't imagine they would keep a spot for Johnson to hold maybe five times.

Maybe this is not that big of a deal and it is only Monday, but I would want Folk to work with the new holder as much as possible during the bye week and during this week of practice.

Kickers are creatures of habit. Folk and Johnson have an excellent history together and Folk knows Johnson will get the ball down properly each time.

ddh33

Reaction score
Why not just keep Brad Johnson as the number two? If Romo gets hurt that bad, bring in the third stringer, and don't worry about the rule that says one of the other ones can't come back.

kmd24

Reaction score
ddh33;2411551 said:
Why not just keep Brad Johnson as the number two? If Romo gets hurt that bad, bring in the third stringer, and don't worry about the rule that says one of the other ones can't come back.

If Bollinger is listed as the emergency and comes in the game, then Johnson wouldn't be allowed to hold any longer.

DWhite Fan

It ain't over 'til it's over
Reaction score
ajk23az;2411518 said:
Still not sure who the holder is
2:17 PM Mon, Nov 10, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer E-mail News tips

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/FolkHolder-thumb-250x219.jpg

The Cowboys are still working through who will hold for kicker Nick Folk on Sunday.

The candidates are Patrick Crayton, Sam Paulescu and - amazingly - Brad Johnson. Coach Wade Phillips said he is considering keeping three quarterbacks active on the game day roster just so Johnson can hold. Given how valuable the 45-man roster is on Sunday, I can't imagine they would keep a spot for Johnson to hold maybe five times.

Maybe this is not that big of a deal and it is only Monday, but I would want Folk to work with the new holder as much as possible during the bye week and during this week of practice.

Kickers are creatures of habit. Folk and Johnson have an excellent history together and Folk knows Johnson will get the ball down properly each time.

This is the very reason why you do not change Folk's holder this season. Folk can work with a new holder during next year's training camp. Brad won't be on the roster next year. I don't want anymore potential headaches than we already have to deal with over the next 7 weeks..........

BigWillie

Reaction score
DWhite Fan;2411563 said:
This is the very reason why you do not change Folk's holder this season. Folk can work with a new holder during next year's training camp. Brad won't be on the roster next year. I don't want anymore potential headaches than we already have to deal with over the next 7 weeks..........

:hammer:

WG5516

Reaction score
Like why is this being discussed? Why isn't Brad the holder? What the hell is going on? Why are we changing holders in the middle of the season? This team has way too many issues than to worry about this. Keep Brad on the freaking roster.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
:laugh2: it takes Wade too long to make simple decisions. this guy is a fool.

and why can't Bollinger hold? did we really sign a backup qb who can't even hold for Xps and fgs?

Nav22

Reaction score
Like why is this being discussed? Why isn't Brad the holder? What the hell is going on? Why are we changing holders in the middle of the season? This team has way too many issues than to worry about this. Keep Brad on the freaking roster.
Brad has been demoted to the role of 3rd string, or "emergency QB."

This means that he will not count against the 45 man active roster on gameday, BUT if he ever sees the field, the top 2 QBs (Romo and Bollinger) can't play a single snap for the rest of the game.

That's why we're discussing a change in holders. Because we don't trust Brad as our backup QB anymore, and for good reason.