News: DMN: Sturm's Decoding Linehan - Rough Day Provides Blueprint For Opponents

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Hopefully we can resign Leary and switch Collins over to RT next year and replace Free. In the meantime-- getting Chaz Green healthy would be a nice lift to the OL and could provide some additional support if Free continues to struggle.

Sturm sure made it sound like our running game is doomed without the blocking of Geoff Swaim. Really? Everything gets exposed b/c our 2nd TE goes down with an injury? If our running game is that fragile then we are screwed. I just don't see it...

IMO-- Thurs night's performance was affected by 3 things:

1. We were tired after playing 3 games in 11 days
2. We got screwed by flag-happy refs
3. Minny's D played a great game at home

I just don't see another defense in the NFL that can replicate what Minny did on Thurs-- especially now that Earl Thomas is out for Seattle.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Not having a 2nd run blocking TE on the roster is hurting the offense. They have to trot Escobar out there who is quite possibly one of the worst run blocking TEs in the entire league.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm surprised that they haven't brought a blocking TE in. The dropoff in blocking has been obvious, and whatever they're trying to do with Vince Mayle just isn't working.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Hopefully we can resign Leary and switch Collins over to RT next year and replace Free. In the meantime-- getting Chaz Green healthy would be a nice lift to the OL and could provide some additional support if Free continues to struggle.

Sturm sure made it sound like our running game is doomed without the blocking of Geoff Swaim. Really? Everything gets exposed b/c our 2nd TE goes down with an injury? If our running game is that fragile then we are screwed. I just don't see it...

IMO-- Thurs night's performance was affected by 3 things:

1. We were tired after playing 3 games in 11 days
2. We got screwed by flag-happy refs
3. Minny's D played a great game at home

I just don't see another defense in the NFL that can replicate what Minny did on Thurs-- especially now that Earl Thomas is out for Seattle.

There's no doubt his injury hurts, but I agree. We have survived the loss of our starting QB, No. 1 receiver, No. 1 corner, starting safety and the suspension of our best DE. If it's the No. 2 tight end that details the season, something is wrong.

I think the data is skewed in part because we have faced two legitimately tough, playoff level run defenses since Swaim went out. Even with him, the running lanes wouldn't have been as wide open as they were against some of the poorer teams.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Linehan simply played to what the defense gave them last Thursday. He should have, IMO.

Kept his QB safe, tried to avoid turnovers and won the game.

I don't know how others feel but the Vikings defense was the best Dallas has played, so far.

They were fast, aggressive and came from everywhere. Disguised their approach very well.

sbark

Reaction score
I'm surprised that they haven't brought a blocking TE in. The dropoff in blocking has been obvious, and whatever they're trying to do with Vince Mayle just isn't working.
With Swaim, early on they would keep the Def honest with a Dak bootleg and pass to Swaim, and then they built off of that.

They are not keeping the defense honest with Escobar or Mayle in the same way........until they even attempt let alone establish something via a pass threat to those 2, a LB'r 1st step will be to attack that edge where he safely presumes they are blocking, and then its really tough for them to hold the block.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I just don't buy this narrative as the predominant take away from this game:

Now, that is a product of playing a great defense at their place - something the Cowboys will likely earn the right to avoid with home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

They certainly were a stiff opponent against the run in the first half, and are stingy against the pass, but I chalk the Cowboys' issues more up to their own mistakes rather than the opponent pressing the issue. The only exception is strip/sack given up by Free, but even that was a technique gaffe (which is a problem, because Free is prone to those).

I feel like the Cowboys beat themselves offensively more than the Vikings did. And until I see them do that in another game, I won't get too worried about it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where's the kid out of WIS who played fairly well for us in camp this year now? Is he on a PS somewhere?

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
They certainly were a stiff opponent against the run in the first half, and are stingy against the pass, but I chalk the Cowboys' issues more up to their own mistakes rather than the opponent pressing the issue. The only exception is strip/sack given up by Free, but even that was a technique gaffe (which is a problem, because Free is prone to those).

I feel like the Cowboys beat themselves offensively more than the Vikings did. And until I see them do that in another game, I won't get too worried about it.

I agree. I also think we need a bit of a break since we had a short week against the Skins (yes, I know the Vikings did as well), but then had to travel on the road to Minny. Escobar concerns me because with Swaim it made the offense more effective, but I still think the offense beat themselves.

YR

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Linehan simply played to what the defense gave them last Thursday. He should have, IMO.

I don't know how others feel but the Vikings defense was the best Dallas has played, so far.

They were fast, aggressive and came from everywhere. Disguised their approach very well.
Agreed.
What drives me crazy is that when they have success at something, they seem to immediately move away from it. We run off tackle run on 1st down for 8 yards and then immediately go to an empty backfield set. I'm sure there's a method to the madness of Linehan and he's been great for the most part but I feel with #21 in the backfield on any play, your throwing the defense into an honest situation. Sure if it's 3rd and long go empty, but Zeke in the backfield is what keeps the defense in a frenzy.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
IMO.. You throw that game out the window.

3rd game in 12 days, tons of penalties, turnovers..

If you want to say the Vikings exposed something then fine.. Go ahead.. Waste your time.

It's a overreaction league and sometimes you just gotta roll your eyes and ignore it. The week to week drama is so stupid at times.

GIFTS86

Reaction score
With our athletic o-line we need to run outside more. Get a little more creative with looks other teams have not seen come playoffs. Could be a game changer

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really rough night for Doug Free. It appears that this is becoming more and more of an issue. They just don't have very good pass protection from right tackle anymore. I really appreciate his career, but we have seen a decline in 2016. Robison gets him here and the ball comes loose.

Now, the very athletic Danielle Hunter gets Free from the same spot. Dak is going to need to start feeling that situation and escape in that direction if this continues. I am not sure how much a chip from Elliott would help this. Free just can't handle this type of edge guy, which complicates things, too. Seattle has plenty over right tackle to replicate this.
I wanted to draft Hunter in the draft where the Cowboys took Gregory.

Reaction score

Bringing in a blocking tight end might be the way to go but I read somewhere that they really like Mayle, so they'll want to give him every chance to take this role. Wasn't this his first game?

The good news is that there's time to get a new TE up to speed before the first playoff game if needed.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I agree, Vikes were not going to win the game because of their great offense lol, they needed big plays from their defense as well as special teams. Cowboys could have gone out and took some big risk trying to covert some long yardage situations due to penalties and some negative plays but that would have only played into the strength of the Vikes.

No doubt this was a sloppy game by Dallas, we had way too many penalties that set them up for 2nd/3rd and long situations.

Given the fact this was a road game vs a Minn team who was 4-1 at home and the 3rd game of a 3 game stretch in 12 days I will gladly take the sloppy win as this team now has some extra time off to regroup and get a bit more healthier. As much as people want to down grade the opposition fact remains Dallas faced 3 team all in the thick of the playoff race and beat each one, that is not an easy task

maxdallasfan

Reaction score
IMO.. You throw that game out the window.

3rd game in 12 days, tons of penalties, turnovers..

If you want to say the Vikings exposed something then fine.. Go ahead.. Waste your time.

It's a overreaction league and sometimes you just gotta roll your eyes and ignore it. The week to week drama is so stupid at times.

I'm going with the 3 games in 12 days stance. All wins I might add.

0-3: eh
1-2: ok
2-1: Exceptional
3-0: Preposterous!

noletime95

Reaction score
I'd like to see Escobar impact the passing game in 2 TE formations....utilize his strengths to loosen things up a bit.

I refuse to believe losing a 2nd TE is what derails this running game with 3 1st OL blocking for the 4th pick in the draft.

ringmaster

Reaction score

I love how most in the media is running with this narrative that Minnesota "exposed" this Cowboys offense even though they didn't win the freaking game what exposed the offense in that game imo was penalties and few questionable ones at that and turnovers. I agree with your assessment of the game and as for Sturm he's a very informative guy when it comes to the Xs and Os breakdowns of every game and I thoroughly enjoy reading his stuff but I'm totally disappointed that he ate the cheese on this now weak narrative of the offense being "exposed" and I hope the Giants, Bucs, Lions, and Eagles think so too.