News: DMN: Sturm's Decoding Linehan - Rough Day Provides Blueprint For Opponents

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I just don't buy this narrative as the predominant take away from this game:

They certainly were a stiff opponent against the run in the first half, and are stingy against the pass, but I chalk the Cowboys' issues more up to their own mistakes rather than the opponent pressing the issue. The only exception is strip/sack given up by Free, but even that was a technique gaffe (which is a problem, because Free is prone to those).

I feel like the Cowboys beat themselves offensively more than the Vikings did. And until I see them do that in another game, I won't get too worried about it.
And I would say that two huge penalties negated major runs that would have put Zeke way over 150 yards rushing in this game. Our run game is fine, and our passing game is fine, just have to clean up the mistakes.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where's the kid out of WIS who played fairly well for us in camp this year now? Is he on a PS somewhere?

Last I read, he was on the Ravens' practice squad. But they may have released him to sign a quarterback so he might be walking the streets.

I'm disappointed they haven't brought him back.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last I read, he was on the Ravens' practice squad. But they may have released him to sign a quarterback so he might be walking the streets.

I'm disappointed they haven't brought him back.

Austin Traylor. That's who it was. Looks like he might be on the street.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/
Waived TE Austin Traylor from the practice squad; Re-signed QB David Fales to the practice squad.

I liked him for a backup TE in camp and he just got caught because we're relatively deep at the position--or we were. They probably still don't have a spot for him if they're going to keep Mehle up on the active roster. Normally about this time of year, they bring up a PS guy, too, that they don't want to lose. Not sure we have the luxury right now.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bringing in a blocking tight end might be the way to go but I read somewhere that they really like Mayle, so they'll want to give him every chance to take this role. Wasn't this his first game?

No, he's been active for a few now. And I like what he's done on special teams, but he's not helping in the run game.

The good news is that there's time to get a new TE up to speed before the first playoff game if needed.

They've had time to bring in someone now, in time to help this team win and sew up home field advantage and a bye.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Not having a 2nd run blocking TE on the roster is hurting the offense. They have to trot Escobar out there who is quite possibly one of the worst run blocking TEs in the entire league.
I think Escobar would be more effective as a blocker if they also used him in those formations as a receiving target; put the defender in a situation where he has to think about more than one thing.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Austin Traylor. That's who it was. Looks like he might be on the street.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/
Waived TE Austin Traylor from the practice squad; Re-signed QB David Fales to the practice squad.

I liked him for a backup TE in camp and he just got caught because we're relatively deep at the position--or we were. They probably still don't have a spot for him if they're going to keep Mehle up on the active roster. Normally about this time of year, they bring up a PS guy, too, that they don't want to lose. Not sure we have the luxury right now.

I like Mayle's work on special teams, but not enough to not bring Traylor back as that blocking TE.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
The problem with the blueprint narrative is that it requires the same talent the Vikings have on defense and I don't know of many other teams that do.

Not only that but the environment played a big part. Sunday could be cold and loud so they have a chance of really slowing us down.

If we get home field teams will not be able to come screaming off the edge behind their crowd. Its a huge deal in passing downs.

This week should be interesting, the giants play so much man coverage with their corners its hard to think we won't hit a bunch of big plays.

willia451

Reaction score
Is that where all this last two games thing is coming from? The media?

I mean, hell. No wonder. LOL!!!

I don't listen to or watch the media and their shows. I just watch the games. And we won three hard games in 12 days. Awesome.

If anyone was "exposed" it was the Ravens, Commanders, and Vikings. They lost. The Cowboys won.

The media? Seriously?

ringmaster

Reaction score
That blueprint had better include one of the NFL's best defenses, and a lot of help from guys in striped shirts.

Oh, and a decent offense of your own.
Exactly percyhoward that is how to sum it up right there. The word exposed is a vastly overrated word in sports anyway that is just like saying Tampa Bay "exposed" Seattle only holding them to 5 pts only to go on a 35 pt surge against Carolina a week later so we know the NFL is a week to week league and just because the Cowboys offense was somewhat sloppy against the Vikes doesn't mean they will all of a sudden tank the rest of the way and I hope that's how the remaining 4 teams think as well because they're in for a rude awakening.