News: DMN: Sturm's Morning After: Impressions From The Back Of the Roster

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I agree that it's probably true, but man, I don't remember posting any detailed analysis of it.

Just cause I don't remember, doesn't mean it didn't happen though. ;)

You did! And included stats on how the Cowboys actually did better as far as finding talent than any other team, based on the number of players on 2nd and 3rd contracts (even if not with the Cowboys).

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
I guess I would ask, who did they "overpay"? Here's the list:
$50M+ Contracts:
Dez - Worth the $$$
Romo - Could argue injury history, but that would be using hindsight
T. Smith - Steal of a deal
T. Fred - Worth every cent
Carr - overpaid, but in last year of deal (also took a pay cut this year)

$20M+
T. Crawford - arguably overpaid, but still early in the deal to declare with any certainty
Baily -There's a reason they call him "Money" (well, two reasons if you consider his contract)
Zeke - Rookie contracts are pretty much predetermined -- he'll be worth every penny, and then some
S. Lee - Worth the cost, IMO, but could argue otherwise based on injury history
Witt - Worth his contract...he's getting up there in years, but he's still one of the team's main cogs.

Just looking at the list, there are a couple you could argue were overpaid, but that would be with the benefit of hindsight. The majority of names on that list deserved the contracts they got...especially if you consider the cost of not signing them, IMO.

Sturm cherry picked that's why

MarkP88

Reaction score
So, to recap, the Cowboys under the four year contributor metric have batted:
  • 3 for 7 in the second round.
  • 2 for 8 in the third round.
  • 3 for 14 in the fourth round.
  • 1 for 9 in the fifth round.
  • 2 for 14 in the sixth round.
  • 1 for 16 in the seventh round.
Hard to tell how "bad" this is without at least seeing the average of other teams success in these areas. This might be how most other team's draft success looks like as well.
I feel like our won-loss record over that time is one way to tell - in other words, mediocre. And as a Cowboys fan, I consider mediocre no better than failure.