News: DMN: Sturm's Morning After: The Future Appears To Be Now

Eddie

Reaction score
No one knows
We know we have this year so that is what you play for

It's so difficult. We need to nail it NOW. We may not get another chance for 2 more decades.

I think our achilles heel will be how our D holds up.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Tony Romo will suit up for the first time this season when the Cowboys take on the Ravens in Week 11. But, as you’ve probably heard by now, he’ll be backing up Dak Prescott. It should be clear that the Cowboys are Prescott’s team now, yesterday’s comeback win against the Steelers sealed it.

Even Romo himself is acknowledging that fact.

The veteran quarterback told Stephen Jones after Sunday’s win, as Prescott walked the two of them: "That ain't (blank) easy, and he's the man."

https://mg.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.rand=4tkefjih0jpv0#7623056371

Dak has said this is Romo's team. He's just taking it for a drive until the gas runs out. The team is smart not to take the keys away and hand them back to Romo until that happens.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
NO ONE KNOWS if Romo will be the Romo of years past, and to assume so or even worse, declare that he can be is utter hogwash and/or wishful thinking.

He's 36 and hasn't played NFL football in a full calendar year. IMO, he looked very skittish (understandable, given his injuries) in the pocket in his last few games.

Could he be the same guy? Of course he could, but he could also be a lesser player and ruin the amazing chemistry that this team hasn't had in years (decades?).

We are 8-1 and on a major roll, yet there are some who would rather roll the dice and have it their way with their guy.

It's a very Jerry Jones way of thinking* if you ask me:

"I'm want to win, dangit, but only on my terms!"

* Disclaimer…I'm referencing the '95 - '10 version as Jerry looks like a genius the last few years.

Proof

Reaction score
I'm not sure I qualify as a Romo loyalist, but I certainly feel that I'm a Romo defender, so I'd like to answer the charge against the loyalists.

There seem to be many who have forgotten what a great quarterback Romo has been and don't believe a healthy Romo would be leading this team to the same kind of success. That is utter hogwash. There is nothing Romo has done that would indicate that this team would not be doing just as well or better with him at quarterback if he was healthy (which is the big question concerning him).

I am loyal to him in that I will always defend him against such unfounded charges. I still have yet to understand why it is necessary for part of the fan base to try to tear Romo down to build Dak up, or vice versa.

Maybe where I don't qualify as a loyalist is that I see little reason to reinsert Romo as the starter as long as we're winning. When a formula is working, you don't change one of the ingredients to try to make it better. If it stops working, though, we should be thankful that Romo can pat the rookie on the back, thank him for doing an absolutely fabulous job and take it from there.

What if it never stops working? Then all of us, Romo and Dak included, will be celebrating a Super Bowl victory.

There's no reason to make a change if that's where we are headed. Let's just not act like changing to Romo would be end of the world, either.

Pretty much my thoughts word for word. My biggest issue is that even as a "romo loyalist" I've enjoyed the games, the season, the success. I'm really happy and supportive of Dak. There's a segment of fans though that are extremely petty and baiting, and I'm the guy who will take the bait every time.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
Tony Romo will suit up for the first time this season when the Cowboys take on the Ravens in Week 11. But, as you’ve probably heard by now, he’ll be backing up Dak Prescott. It should be clear that the Cowboys are Prescott’s team now, yesterday’s comeback win against the Steelers sealed it.

Even Romo himself is acknowledging that fact.

The veteran quarterback told Stephen Jones after Sunday’s win, as Prescott walked the two of them: "That ain't (blank) easy, and he's the man."
https://mg.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.rand=4tkefjih0jpv0#7623056371

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Dak still can't make all the throws that Romo can make and probably doesn't see the field/have the technique that Romo does.

Romo can't physically do what Dak can do, and Dak likely keeps the offense honest and balanced.

To be quite honest, you likely get near or the same results regardless, which is the greatness of the offense right now. I'm a HUGE Romo fan, but I can't deny that I don't want to mess with what is working until teams show they have any idea of how to slow the offense down in it's current iteration.
Only thing Romo cannot do is extend plays like Dak. Perfect example is the very play Tony got hurt on week 3, vs the Seahawks.

Tony had the blitzed picked up by a rookie, Zeke Elliott, but still felt the need to escape a viable pocket when it was NOT needed. Result was a fracture of the spine. Not good.

This is where Dak can burn a defense. He's young, but makes veteran decisions on when to run, extending the play/drive. This is something Tony can still do, but will struggle with at the same time.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Only thing Romo cannot do is extend plays like Dak. Perfect example is the very play Tony got hurt on pressason week 3, vs the Seahawks.

Tony had the blitzed picked up by a rookie, Zeke Elliott, but still felt the need to escape a viable pocket when it was NOT needed. Result was a fracture of the spine. Not good.

This is where Dak can burn a defense. He's young, but makes veteran decisions on when to run, extending the play/drive. This is something Tony can still do, but will struggle with at the same time.

odog422

Reaction score
I'm not sure I qualify as a Romo loyalist, but I certainly feel that I'm a Romo defender, so I'd like to answer the charge against the loyalists.

There seem to be many who have forgotten what a great quarterback Romo has been and don't believe a healthy Romo would be leading this team to the same kind of success. That is utter hogwash. There is nothing Romo has done that would indicate that this team would not be doing just as well or better with him at quarterback if he was healthy (which is the big question concerning him).

I am loyal to him in that I will always defend him against such unfounded charges. I still have yet to understand why it is necessary for part of the fan base to try to tear Romo down to build Dak up, or vice versa.

Maybe where I don't qualify as a loyalist is that I see little reason to reinsert Romo as the starter as long as we're winning. When a formula is working, you don't change one of the ingredients to try to make it better. If it stops working, though, we should be thankful that Romo can pat the rookie on the back, thank him for doing an absolutely fabulous job and take it from there.

What if it never stops working? Then all of us, Romo and Dak included, will be celebrating a Super Bowl victory.

There's no reason to make a change if that's where we are headed. Let's just not act like changing to Romo would be end of the world, either.

What's "heathy" for Romo today? Meaning the bones are healed? Where is his confidence level? Think he would have second thoughts about getting hit? Instead of the trademark spin and deliver or slide to the right or left, does he now go down instead to make sure he stays healthy? He hasn't played at a high level since when? Not his starts a year ago. These are factors I think people pushing for Romo don't consider.

When has Romo ever been characterized as "safe" with ball? How many times have we known we were in a situation where you just could NOT have a pic, and he threw one? Because he believes in himself and we get the high risk high reward play. So to characterize him as "safer" I believe is inaccurate.

You say Romo could make throws Dak can't - how do you know? Dak has made some beautiful pinpoint passes, long and short. I mean drop in the bucket can't be anywhere else type throws.

Looking at the two, I definitely know there are things physically that Dak can do that Romo can't and yes Romo has an experience edge, but at the end of the day it's not about that. It's about the fact my Boys are winning. Period.

I've got mad appreciation for Romo and without question he has not received the credit he deserves for being the quarterback he has been. But those critical errors that Romo has made that those pushing for him to play gloss over are a big reason why he hasn't received the accolades.

Personally, I really don't get into comparing the two because for me it's about the wins. But if pressed, the biggest distinction for me is that I have more faith that Dak will NOT throw the backbreaking worst time ever INT than I do Romo. That said, for purposes of this discussion, in my mind, that's neither here nor there.

I appreciate what Romo has done and I appreciate what Dak is doing. Bottom line, it's about the team. No need to IMO make baseless determinations about what Dak or Romo can or can't do to push one or the other. Dak's team now, clearly.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
What's "heathy" for Romo today? Meaning the bones are healed? Where is his confidence level? Think he would have second thoughts about getting hit? Instead of the trademark spin and deliver or slide to the right or left, does he now go down instead to make sure he stays healthy? He hasn't played at a high level since when? Not his starts a year ago. These are factors I think people pushing for Romo don't consider.

All of these factors would have to be considered, but even last year, we were 3-1 with Romo, while we were 1-13 without him, so it depends on what your definition of a high level is. A level good enough to do what we're doing this year? Apparently, Romo was playing at it last year.

When has Romo ever been characterized as "safe" with ball? How many times have we known we were in a situation where you just could NOT have a pic, and he threw one? Because he believes in himself and we get the high risk high reward play. So to characterize him as "safer" I believe is inaccurate.

Romo has not been high risk for years. Some fans remember more of the gunslinger days when he was still developing. Does he throw interceptions? Yes, all quarterbacks do and Dak could have more than he has if a few had not been dropped. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. You've got to have skill to avoid turnovers, but luck also plays a role.

Is Romo safer? I'm not sure I characterized him one way or the other on that. I know he's a good quarterback that has far more successful plays than poor ones.

You say Romo could make throws Dak can't - how do you know? Dak has made some beautiful pinpoint passes, long and short. I mean drop in the bucket can't be anywhere else type throws.

Again, I don't think I said that. I haven't seen any throws Romo makes that I've seen Dak miss (both seem to be bad at the end zone fade, but Romo throws a better back-shoulder throw at the goal line). I think experience gives Romo the edge in reading defenses, but that hasn't been a real factor so far since we're winning. Romo has better technique since Dak does get a little sloppy with his footwork at times, but again, the purpose of my post wasn't to try to compare the two.

Looking at the two, I definitely know there are things physically that Dak can do that Romo can't and yes Romo has an experience edge, but at the end of the day it's not about that. It's about the fact my Boys are winning. Period.

I've got mad appreciation for Romo and without question he has not received the credit he deserves for being the quarterback he has been. But those critical errors that Romo has made that those pushing for him to play gloss over are a big reason why he hasn't received the accolades.

Personally, I really don't get into comparing the two because for me it's about the wins. But if pressed, the biggest distinction for me is that I have more faith that Dak will NOT throw the backbreaking worst time ever INT than I do Romo. That said, for purposes of this discussion, in my mind, that's neither here nor there.

I appreciate what Romo has done and I appreciate what Dak is doing. Bottom line, it's about the team. No need to IMO make baseless determinations about what Dak or Romo can or can't do to push one or the other. Dak's team now, clearly.

Actually, I don't think you really appreciate Romo or you would know that the perception of him on "critical errors" doesn't really tell the story. He got a reputation for that that just doesn't mesh with reality. You have bought into that reputation, so again, no, I don't think you really appreciate Romo. If you did, you would understand what he can do if he's healthy.

I'm not pushing for Romo to start, but I sure wish fans around here would see him for the player he is. If you have more faith that a rookie "will NOT throw the backbreaking worst time ever INT than you do a healthy program," then your perception of Romo is just not reality. In his 10-year career, there have been very, very few games where Romo did that and many, many more where he carried his team to victory despite the defense collapsing on him or the lack of a running game.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Here is a question.

Some of the mistakes Romo has made in the past have come when he tries to do too much. The pressure to win the game causes him to press.

So what will the added pressure of Dak standing on the sidelines with a coaching staff, team and management second guessing any and everything Romo does?

VACowboy

Reaction score
That is why we follow the sport. That game is one of the few that will stick out when you look back at any season. To know a classic from just another Sunday, you ask yourself if you will remember this day in a decade.
Well, as far as I am concerned, I am going to go out on a limb and suggest you will remember where you were when the Cowboys, led by their rookies (again), walked into Pittsburgh, traded body-blows and haymakers for three hours, and then left with the coveted win.

This was not your typical win. This was an extraordinary back and forth effort that will be given the "instant classic" label and perhaps require a 2nd viewing over watching Monday Night Football this week.

Pittsburgh threw a lot at the Cowboys and got superb efforts from many - including their star QB Ben Roethlisberger, not to mention Le'Veon Bell and Antoino Brown who all were able to do some pretty impressive things in a home game where they needed to stop the bleeding to their season. They rallied the troops and the whipped their home crowd into a frenzy. It was a late game on a November afternoon where the whole football nation would be locked in, wondering if this upstart squad from Dallas was worth all of the hype.

Continue reading...

Amen.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
It's hard to find negative articles on the boys this year. It's a beautiful thing!

I love reading ones like this that explain how hard some of the situations were. Most average fans don't have a clue which includes me.

I'm getting goosebumps :)