News: DMN: Terence Newman: Hard to watch Tony Romo read statement, but he's a 'true professional'

BigD5

Reaction score
FRISCO -- Former Cowboys cornerback Terence Newman remembers every player from his 2003 draft class. He listed them all during a Sunday conference call with reporters at The Star.
Although Tony Romo was an undrafted free agent that year, Newman still considers him part of the group.

Newman, now with the Minnesota Vikings, said it was difficult to watch Romo read his prepared statement two weeks ago.

"It was hard for me to watch that, but that's a true professional," said Newman, who was teammates with Romo for nine seasons. "That's somebody who understands his role. He did that on his own. It was a deal where, everybody wants to win a Super Bowl and the way Dallas is playing right now, it would be hard to come in and mess up the chemistry, be somebody who takes the focus away from the team.

"What he did obviously speaks volumes for who he is as a person, and he's still a great player. It's just you get some injuries and things happen."

Romo has been active the last two games since returning from a compression fracture in his back. After spending the last 10 seasons as the Cowboys' starter, Romo is now Dak Prescott's backup.

"You're one injury away from being a backup or being on a different team," Newman said. "I know that obviously. I didn't play very well in my last year and that's why I wasn't a member of the Cowboys any more. I take ownership in that. Everybody is doing what they have to do to move forward. He's doing it in a very classy way."

Continue reading...
I always liked TNew. Loved the draft pick at the time too. Glad he is still playing and has had a great long career

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Can y'all believe he's still in the league? I'm glad he owned his bad play of his last year here. Sucks, because we could've used him the following year after.

I wonder how long he's planning to play.

Always liked him and hated how bad he looked here that last year. I can't believe he's still in the league and playing well too..

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Can y'all believe he's still in the league? I'm glad he owned his bad play of his last year here. Sucks, because we could've used him the following year after.

I was one of the people who wanted him gone but to be honest we could've used the Vikings version TNew every year since he's been gone. It's one of those cases where the player lost their entitlement and became a better player. Sucks for us but ce sera sera.

QT

Reaction score
I remember him giving Parcells water in training camp. That's some high quality H20.

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
I always loved Newman ---- IMO we let him go to early and i think he got alot of crap he didn't fully deserve ---- I do wish him all the best just NOT THURSDAY sorry my friend but i still want to smash the vikes but i do hate you will be on the receiving end of it.

Newman was always a class act who quietly went about his business right kinda guy

muck4doo

Least-Known Member
Reaction score
I love that he owns up to the fact his last year with us stunk. He wasn't himself and I've wondered what was going on with him that season. He always gave me the impression he loved playing for the Cowboys.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

In many ways, Newman was the closest defensive "Romo-esque" player on the team in that he played great for us, but many people did not like him. Newman was great for us for several years, especially in the slot, shutting down so many of the league's top receivers who played against us. Unfortunately, a lot of fans kept bashing him over his last couple of years here and many still think to this day he was a wasted pick. Of course, we could desperately use a couple of younger Newman's on this team now.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's nice reading comments of anyone who hasn't overly criticized Romo over the years. There's sincerity behind Newman's "true professional" description. Who knows? Maybe Romo and he will be teammates again in Minnesota next year, lol.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I liked Newman, but that last year he really was done here. That his career was resurgent is great, but that doesn't make cutting him the wrong move. He got to re-assess and re-unite with Zimmer.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score

I'm glad he's been able to keep playing and playing pretty decently all this time. I was always a big fan of Newman but his last year here was really bad. I felt for him.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's amusing watching the board try to come around on Newman, as if the guy had a dip in the middle of his career and then magically got better again with the same DC he had here in both CIN and, now, in MIN.

The guy had a couple soft tissue injuries late in his Dallas career, and then was playing a lot of snaps in a secondary that needed more depth than it had. He became a fan punching bag for things like the play where Calvin Johnson wore him down the field like a cape, but the reality all along was that he was a consistent contributing CB for the Cowboys pretty much the entire time he was here. Fans turned on him because of his draft status and because he appeared trailing in the highlights on a couple of long passing plays we gave up, but he was never the liability everybody here pretended he was.

Neither was Mike Zimmer, for that matter.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's amusing watching the board try to come around on Newman, as if the guy had a dip in the middle of his career and then magically got better again with the same DC he had here in both CIN and, now, in MIN.

The guy had a couple soft tissue injuries late in his Dallas career, and then was playing a lot of snaps in a secondary that needed more depth than it had. He became a fan punching bag for things like the play where Calvin Johnson wore him down the field like a cape, but the reality all along was that he was a consistent contributing CB for the Cowboys pretty much the entire time he was here. Fans turned on him because of his draft status and because he appeared trailing in the highlights on a couple of long passing plays we gave up, but he was never the liability everybody here pretended he was.

Neither was Mike Zimmer, for that matter.
Distance can make the heart grow fonder.. lol

I've always like Newman. I think he played through some injuries here that made his overall play ineffective. He's one of those guys who has to be healthy to play well and be effective. If he's injured, you're almost better off sitting him. And his last couple years, he had some injuries that while he's mentally strong enough to play through them, his body was saying "no."