News: DMN: Terence Newman: Hard to watch Tony Romo read statement, but he's a 'true professional'

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I liked Newman, but that last year he really was done here. That his career was resurgent is great, but that doesn't make cutting him the wrong move. He got to re-assess and re-unite with Zimmer.

While I had no problem with the move, it does prove that you shouldn't write a guy off after a year or two of struggling. Granted, no team is going to wait 2 years for your to get your game right because they will assume you simply are just "finished".

This also goes to those who wanted Garrett fired a year or two ago. Sometimes patience pays off. Sometimes it doesn't.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
In many ways, Newman was the closest defensive "Romo-esque" player on the team in that he played great for us, but many people did not like him. Newman was great for us for several years, especially in the slot, shutting down so many of the league's top receivers who played against us. Unfortunately, a lot of fans kept bashing him over his last couple of years here and many still think to this day he was a wasted pick. Of course, we could desperately use a couple of younger Newman's on this team now.
Fans tied a lot of this to interceptions. He didn't have a lot of them, so he must suck.

Reaction score
Always a big fan of Newman over the years he was here. For years played almost a lockdown corner. Got bagged on for lack of INTs and never seemed to recover to 100% after injuries.

Hope he gets torched Thurs

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Always a big fan of Newman over the years he was here. For years played almost a lockdown corner. Got bagged on for lack of INTs and never seemed to recover to 100% after injuries.

Hope he gets torched Thurs

Yup! T-Will goes off on T-New.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I always loved Newman ---- IMO we let him go to early and i think he got alot of crap he didn't fully deserve ---- I do wish him all the best just NOT THURSDAY sorry my friend but i still want to smash the vikes but i do hate you will be on the receiving end of it.

Newman was always a class act who quietly went about his business right kinda guy
man, hard to believe this crowd would give a player crap they don't deserve. :)

Primetime42

Reaction score
Newman, Ware and soon to be Romo all vastly underappreciated in their time here
It's amusing watching the board try to come around on Newman, as if the guy had a dip in the middle of his career and then magically got better again with the same DC he had here in both CIN and, now, in MIN.

The guy had a couple soft tissue injuries late in his Dallas career, and then was playing a lot of snaps in a secondary that needed more depth than it had. He became a fan punching bag for things like the play where Calvin Johnson wore him down the field like a cape, but the reality all along was that he was a consistent contributing CB for the Cowboys pretty much the entire time he was here. Fans turned on him because of his draft status and because he appeared trailing in the highlights on a couple of long passing plays we gave up, but he was never the liability everybody here pretended he was.

Neither was Mike Zimmer, for that matter.
This, basically

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I was one of the people who wanted him gone but to be honest we could've used the Vikings version TNew every year since he's been gone. It's one of those cases where the player lost their entitlement and became a better player. Sucks for us but ce sera sera.

I don't think it was that. Newman was playing at a pretty high level, but then fell off because of injuries. I wanted to keep him if we could, but we needed to reduce his cost because of the injuries. I certainly didn't think he'd last this long after leaving Dallas.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It's amusing watching the board try to come around on Newman, as if the guy had a dip in the middle of his career and then magically got better again with the same DC he had here in both CIN and, now, in MIN.

The guy had a couple soft tissue injuries late in his Dallas career, and then was playing a lot of snaps in a secondary that needed more depth than it had. He became a fan punching bag for things like the play where Calvin Johnson wore him down the field like a cape, but the reality all along was that he was a consistent contributing CB for the Cowboys pretty much the entire time he was here. Fans turned on him because of his draft status and because he appeared trailing in the highlights on a couple of long passing plays we gave up, but he was never the liability everybody here pretended he was.

Neither was Mike Zimmer, for that matter.

You said better than me what happened to him. I was going back through some tapes of Dallas the last couple of years before he left and he was just plain tough to beat on a regular basis.

I agree that players like him, Ware and Romo get disrespect that they don't deserve. I guess that's the way it works. You can't disrespect lesser players like Alan Ball or Jacques Reeves because they never should have been starters, so anything saying they weren't very good starters would be true.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You said better than me what happened to him. I was going back through some tapes of Dallas the last couple of years before he left and he was just plain tough to beat on a regular basis.

I agree that players like him, Ware and Romo get disrespect that they don't deserve. I guess that's the way it works. You can't disrespect lesser players like Alan Ball or Jacques Reeves because they never should have been starters, so anything saying they weren't very good starters would be true.

Generally speaking, I just hate it when fat unathletic fans make fun of players in general. I know it comes with following the sport and is part of the fun for a lot of people. At the same time, I know how much these athletes sacrifice to be in the position they're in to play the game. They're the best in the world at something a lot of people want to be the best in the world at. Even if you're a Brandon Weeden, that's something I think people ought to respect. It's really hard to play QB in the NFL. Watching somebody do something poorly that you couldn't do in a thousand years and then mocking them for not being better at it always strikes me as stupid.

The same goes for people getting pissed when an undrafted FA comes in and gives a team mediocre starting snaps. That's a talented dude who worked hard to compete with a bunch of guys who outclass him physically. If he's a Jaques Reeves or a Patrick Crayton or a Phil Costa, so what? I get wanting the weak links replaced. I don't really get the impulse to mock people who aren't quite good enough when they're still among the best ~2,000 players on the planet.

I probably break my own rule of thumb here, from time to time. Matt Cassel throwing the comebacks and getting jumped over and over again drove me crazy last year, for example. But by and large, it's how I feel. For every team, too, and not just our own. I save my bile for players like Albert Haynesworth or Pacman Jones, and then it's because I think they're bad human beings and not because of how they play.

But that's a tangent. Yes, I completely agree with you on the Romo/Ware/Newman stuff. Dez is working his way into that category now somehow, too.